Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I agree with this tbh. I don’t buy the Italian press narrative that basically Lille want to sell to us but Botman doesn’t want to come, it would be weird by our lot to keep spending time on this if he had no interest in joining. 

• Like 2

I was reading that Moussa Dembele only has a year left on his Lyon contract. Given our relationship with Lyon, and our supposed interest in the player in the past, he could be a good shout. His availability obviously likely hinges on whether Simone wants to make his loan move to Atletico permanent. 

Edited by Polarboy

13 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

The Newcastle United Blog | Hugo Ekitike Makes Bench For France U20s In Tournament Final - The Newcastle United Blog (nufcblog.com)

Looks like Ekitike's tweet was about his injury, as opposed to anal fisting as some had speculated 🤢given he's on the bench today. Great news for us obviously. 

I mean, it all depends on the kind of bench he’s referring to…

fisting-bench-white.jpg?resize=300,249&s

• Haha 4

I know he’s highly rated but is Sangare a position we really need to upgrade? A lack of goals feels like the bigger issue to address - i’d rather we went for the attacking options we’ve been linked with such as Diaby, Ekitike, Paquetta and a genuine number 9 to challenge Wilson and ensure Wood remains third choice. Sounds like Ekitike is more of a wide forward. 

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I was reading that Moussa Dembele only has a year left on his Lyon contract. Given our relationship with Lyon, and our supposed interest in the player in the past, he could be a good shout. His availability obviously likely hinges on whether Simone wants to make his loan move to Atletico permanent. 

Dembele was on loan in Atletico in 2020-2021, not in 2021-2022. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I know he’s highly rated but is Sangare a position we really need to upgrade? A lack of goals feels like the bigger issue to address - i’d rather we went for the attacking options we’ve been linked with such as Diaby, Ekitike, Paquetta and a genuine number 9 to challenge Wilson and ensure Wood remains third choice. Sounds like Ekitike is more of a wide forward. 

Having a true ball winning midfielder would free up Bruno, and help us increase our possession. Shelvey simply isn’t the answer in that role. I agree that RW and CF are vital, but a ball winning midfielder is so important for us, we need to be increasing possession and having a more solid base higher up the pitch allowing us to create more. 

As much as I like Joelinton his range of passing is a bit limited and he’s still fairly raw with his defensive positioning especially on set pieces. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

Kalvin Phillips could join Newcastle from Leeds | thisisfutbol.com

Whether it's pure speculation or opinion from Downie, or he's privy to something he can't say explicitly at the minute, I have no idea, but if you were Philips would you rather most likely sit on the bench for Man City or Liverpool, or come to another northern team on the way up. Man City is basically the place where English centre mids go to die while picking up a massive wage.  

6 minutes ago, Howay said:

Having a true ball winning midfielder would free up Bruno, and help us increase our possession. Shelvey simply isn’t the answer in that role. I agree that RW and CF are vital, but a ball winning midfielder is so important for us, we need to be increasing possession and having a more solid base higher up the pitch allowing us to create more. 

As much as I like Joelinton his range of passing is a bit limited and he’s still fairly raw with his defensive positioning especially on set pieces. 

I also believe that it is necessary to have a specific player in the stopper position.

We'll see if Howe wants Bruno to be the '5', or he prefers to make him play more advanced because we have also seen that he has the ability to score goals from the second line.

But at least it is necessary to have someone on the staff who is specific to that demarcation. Neither Shelvey nor Sean are that type of player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Kalvin Phillips could join Newcastle from Leeds | thisisfutbol.com

Whether it's pure speculation or opinion from Downie, or he's privy to something he can't say explicitly at the minute, I have no idea, but if you were Philips would you rather most likely sit on the bench for Man City or Liverpool, or come to another northern team on the way up. Man City is basically the place where English centre mids go to die while picking up a massive wage.  

My understanding is City want him bad. 

37 minutes ago, Howay said:

A midfield of Bruno, Joelinton and a Paquetta or Eriksen has just about all the qualities you need, I reckon. 

I mean, long term big Joe might not be the answer but I think he’s saved us having to spend big in that position this summer. I think we’d be better off for now doubling down in attacking players 

40 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

My understanding is City want him bad. 

They likely want him to replace Fernandinho, but is he going to get in the team ahead of Rodri? Pep likes to rotate, and maybe there'd be games were he wouldn't want to play both De Bruyne and Silva and start two defensive mids, but starts for Philips would likely still be sporadic at best. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season