Pre-season Games

Polarboy

Well on reflection of last night;

I thought there were more positives to take into the season.  It's good to see Miggy continue his scoring run and play well attacking wise.  He just needs to translate that into the league.  Benfica are no slouches and it was a solid game which will see us in good stead.

As soon as Joe and Shelvey came on, our midfield seemed more solid.  Ciggy is just not good enough for me and too lightweight, positional awareness isn't there and just generally seems thick as fuck.  Anderson played well and has a canny range of passes on him.  Do we send him out on loan?  Depends if we bring in another player I suppose.  Bruno, well, less said, needs to get more game time to get him in the zone.

Defensive.  Lascelles, well, apparently it's a good idea to keep him as captain.  Lead by example and bum slap the troops.  He was a liability.  Trippier, not the greatest of defensive performances from him, seemed off the pace.  I think like Bruno, he needs more game time.  I was impressed with Bondswell, aka Bostick.  A very mature composed performance from him.

Wilson, Wood and ASM didn't get involved enough for me.  The latter just didn't seem interested at all as per.  One decent pass through to Wilson all night albeit he was offside and then couldn't finish.  Wood's header was a fucking disgrace tbh.

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I thought there were more positives to take into the season.  It's good to see Miggy continue his scoring run and play well attacking wise.  He just needs to translate that into the league.  Benfica are no slouches and it was a solid game which will see us in good stead.

As soon as Joe and Shelvey came on, our midfield seemed more solid.  Ciggy is just not good enough for me and too lightweight, positional awareness isn't there and just generally seems thick as fuck.  Anderson played well and has a canny range of passes on him.  Do we send him out on loan?  Depends if we bring in another player I suppose.  Bruno, well, less said, needs to get more game time to get him in the zone.

Defensive.  Lascelles, well, apparently it's a good idea to keep him as captain.  Lead by example and bum slap the troops.  He was a liability.  Trippier, not the greatest of defensive performances from him, seemed off the pace.  I think like Bruno, he needs more game time.  I was impressed with Bondswell, aka Bostick.  A very mature composed performance from him.

Wilson, Wood and ASM didn't get involved enough for me.  The latter just didn't seem interested at all as per.  One decent pass through to Wilson all night albeit he was offside and then couldn't finish.  Wood's header was a fucking disgrace tbh.

So we definitely need a striker ?

And someone like Paqueta too.  Wilson didn't get the chances at all.  We all know he can get them in the net, but if he is getting fuck all service, that's not happening either.

We should remind ourselves though that Benfica finished in the last 8 of the ECL last season.  They have also played more pre-season games than us so are sharper.  So not too down hearted at all.  

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

And someone like Paqueta too.  Wilson didn't get the chances at all.  We all know he can get them in the net, but if he is getting fuck all service, that's not happening either.

We should remind ourselves though that Benfica finished in the last 8 of the ECL last season.  They have also played more pre-season games than us so are sharper.  So not too down hearted at all.  

I don't rate Wood & obviously Wilson seems to be out for ages with injury. Obviously if we can keep him fit it'll be great. At some point we're going to have to pay the big wages these strikers want unfortunately. Because we need one only with 10 days until the Forest game

Edited by trooper

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Bruno, well, less said, needs to get more game time to get him in the zone.

I wonder if Bruno and Big Joe were suffering a bit of red mist last night because they were playing the "colonial masters"? They both definitely seemed more interested in the fight than the football and there seemed to be a bit being said between the portugese speakers - even that cunt of a ref seemed to get in on the act with what looked like not referee like conversation with that pair. Was there a bit of English Australian cricket rivalry going on?

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Trippier, not the greatest of defensive performances from him, seemed off the pace.  I think like Bruno, he needs more game time.

Hope you are right as Trips is very important to our team and the whole project but I worry his legs will go. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

See Shelvey fucked his hammy?

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Don't know why you are so down on Ciggy tbh, he works extremely hard, he is basically the consulate professional and has the menthol strength to succeed.

• Haha 6