Eddie and Mad Dog's Useless, Got Caught Doubling Down, Always Bet On Black (And White) Punts v The Woy With Schlupp Is Slender, Did Pardew Say Maybe, Or Eze Not Sure. He'll Be A Woy For The Eagles

sammynb

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You can't be using blatant fluff pieces as evidence. If I went on Look North to talk about Toontastic, I'd probably end up saying you lot are mostly alright when what I really think is you're just a fucking bunch of unmitigated arseholes.

Thewlis doesn't need to know that and I wouldn't give Jeff Brown the satisfaction.

and now we cross to Gemmill to talk about Tootastic:

IMG_4936.jpeg

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Your argument of he's shite is much more eloquent

Don’t recall calling him shite at any point in this debate. Not sure why you’re so upset about someone highlighting a players limitations and saying Murphy is a better option. He has his pro’s which Gloom highlighted as getting in behind teams and scoring, I was simply arguing against other things people highlight as pro’s to show they’re not actually things he does well (namely our press), and saying he doesn’t offer a lot in terms of build up/chance creation. I even intentionally didn’t put any of Murphy’s stats up because it would be heavily skewed by one good game, I said all summer I wanted us to sign a right winger and I’ve always been consistent in my opinion of him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Don’t recall calling him shite at any point in this debate. Not sure why you’re so upset about someone highlighting a players limitations and saying Murphy is a better option. He has his pro’s which Gloom highlighted as getting in behind teams and scoring, I was simply arguing against other things people highlight as pro’s to show they’re not actually things he does well (namely our press), and saying he doesn’t offer a lot in terms of build up/chance creation. I even intentionally didn’t put any of Murphy’s stats up because it would be heavily skewed by one good game, I said all summer I wanted us to sign a right winger and I’ve always been consistent in my opinion of him. 

prince love GIF

21 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Good one lads, nowt to back up your points other than “well Trippier and Howe say so”. May as well shut the forum down. 

I’ve offered lots of points. Your argument hinges on some stats which tell half the story. No one is claiming he’s an elite winger. His weaknesses are obvious - no right foot, can’t dribble. And under previous managers he wasn’t a confident finisher. That has obviously changed, his sublime finish against PSG the latest example of his improvement in that department. 

I don’t know how many live games you get to but one thing is apparent when you see Miggy in the flesh is that no one in the team works harder or covers as much ground. He was absolutely scintillating against Brighton at home last season (the last game I got to). He must be be a manager and team mates dream tbh 

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Sorry like it’s not nonsense, he creates absolutely nothing, he doesn’t win the ball back I’d say they’re two pretty important areas he should be contributing.

My initial reaction was that you're talking out of your arse on this one, the best part of Miggy's game is in his defensive efforts. So I looked at the stats and the best comparison to make is with Gordon on the other side. Miggy has attempted half as many tackles and been successful in half as many tackles. He has roughly the same amount of touches as Gordon but is dispossed nearly twice as much. On the creative side Gordon has created over twice as many goal scoring chances and gets a lot more of his shots on target (50% vs 33%).

So the numbers definitely back your judgement.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My initial reaction was that you're talking out of your arse on this one, the best part of Miggy's game is in his defensive efforts. So I looked at the stats and the best comparison to make is with Gordon on the other side. Miggy has attempted half as many tackles and been successful in half as many tackles. He has roughly the same amount of touches as Gordon but is dispossed nearly twice as much. On the creative side Gordon has created over twice as many goal scoring chances and gets a lot more of his shots on target (50% vs 33%).

So the numbers definitely back your judgement.

Where can I see these stats, or better still help an old man out and put them up

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’ve offered lots of points. Your argument hinges on some stats which tell half the story. No one is claiming he’s an elite winger. His weaknesses are obvious - no right foot, can’t dribble. And under previous managers he wasn’t a confident finisher. That has obviously changed, his sublime finish against PSG the latest example of his improvement in that department. 

I don’t know how many live games you get to but one thing is apparent when you see Miggy in the flesh is that no one in the team works harder or covers as much ground. He was absolutely scintillating against Brighton at home last season (the last game I got to). He must be be a manager and team mates dream tbh 

Also in that Brighton game he was a pressing demon which goes against the argument that he doesn't contribute there. He WAS the press that game.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Also in that Brighton game he was a pressing demon which goes against the argument that he doesn't contribute there. He WAS the press that game.

yeah, I don’t think his role in how we execute our press can be underestimated tbh. it’s probably the most important part of his game and explains why Howe starts him so often. If I’m a full back, I’m not looking forward to playing against Miggy because he’s pressing you relentlessly with pace for 90 minutes. 

There were countless games last season when you'd spend the game frustrated at Miggy constantly breaking up the forward flow, failing to find a simple pass or putting a cross in when the opportunity was there because he had to cut back onto his left foot. He would then go on and score a goal with that lovely left foot of his and all would be forgotten.

That sums it up for me really. He will have his moments this season too I'm sure with left foot. But in between those there's going to be long moments of mediocre wing play mitigated to some extent by his excellent work rate. 

I think Murphy offers more on the whole, directness and willingness to look for the man in the middle chief among them. It gives Howe options in that he can throw different types of threats into the fray. It's going to be one of the first areas targeted for an upgrade next window though because neither player is consistently top class. I hope Murphy stays around as a squad player though given his journey with the club. 

Edited by aimaad22
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: Good one lads, nowt to back up your points other than “well Trippier and Howe say so”. May as well shut the forum down. 

We could go back to your posts during the "purple" patch.   :D

Not one iota of a comment yearning for Murphy.

One thing with Almiron is that he, Trippier and Bruno have an excellent understanding on that right hand side. I've noticed (and it may be my eyes lying to me) that BRuno is operating more centrally or to the left recently. With Longstaff or Tonali occupying that right hand half space. Because of this we're not seeing as many 1-2s ending up at Miggy's feet in the box. Seeing more from Longstaff as a goal threat instead. 

I like Miggy, always have, and while he's not as good as Gordon looks to have become, he's still a tireless pressing machine and always an outball on the right hand side in transition. If he could get his confidence of last season back, he'd be more of a goal threat himself. But a disjointed centre of the park and a change to that right hand side has kind of dampened his impact. 

• Like 4