How you all doing ?

Tdansmith

Dubious about the topic and starter.

Generally ok, my older brother who had a bleed on the brain and is brain damaged keeps having fits. Think they are linked to his chest infections, but nobody really knows. So my mam (nearly 70) isn’t sleeping, so im not sleeping. 

on the plus side im gettting married next summer and I really looking forward to it, enjoying all the planning etc. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, strawb said:

Dubious about the topic and starter.

Generally ok, my older brother who had a bleed on the brain and is brain damaged keeps having fits. Think they are linked to his chest infections, but nobody really knows. So my mam (nearly 70) isn’t sleeping, so im not sleeping. 

on the plus side im gettting married next summer and I really looking forward to it, enjoying all the planning etc. 

It must be very stressful and worrying about your brother and your mam all the time, it sounds like your family are going through tough times.

I do remember from some of your posts a while ago that your health has not be great as well ( If I remember correctly, without being too intrusive) 

I'm sure your brother, mam and of course your partner and you will all have a fantastic time at your wedding next year.

That will be a wonderful day for you all.  

• Like 1

Hope all works out well strawb. Sounds like you're carrying a lot in your shoulders atm and have been for a while.

Good luck with the wedding planning.

Welcome back Tdansmith. How come you've not been on for a while?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aye strawb same. Hope everything sorts itself out. Looking forward to your wedding and getting that sorted is some positive though. I loved mine and no doubt you will too. 

Welcome back too @Tdansmithwe have a new account on the block. @Dazzlerhe will be along shortly to ask your wiping ettiquite 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome back Dan, 

I'm knackered,  had to take the little man to A&E yesterday. He has shallow breathing and GP said his oxygen levels were too low. Was at the hospital from 3 till around 10. Its some kind of viral infection.

We have to give him an inhaler every 4hrs, even when he is asleep. So stress, and wake ups means he's all over the shop, the wife is all over the shop, and my normal zenlike state is developing some cracks. 

Looking forward to a day of kids tv, inhaler battles and arguments with Mrs Fish.

If we don't win at Bournemouth whoever started the match thread will be in trouble. So help me god.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Welcome back Dan, 

I'm knackered,  had to take the little man to A&E yesterday. He has shallow breathing and GP said his oxygen levels were too low. Was at the hospital from 3 till around 10. Its some kind of viral infection.

We have to give him an inhaler every 4hrs, even when he is asleep. So stress, and wake ups means he's all over the shop, the wife is all over the shop, and my normal zenlike state is developing some cracks. 

Looking forward to a day of kids tv, inhaler battles and arguments with Mrs Fish.

If we don't win at Bournemouth whoever started the match thread will be in trouble. So help me god.

That sounds like a proper stressful time you're all having.

The inhaler battles might well be helped with bribery and treats for your son.

Hopefully the doctors will find out what the problem is real fast and get yous all back to normal asap. 

I'm hungover and expecting a call about a job today after brief chat yesterday but we ended up being too busy to talk properly about it. I'm massively torn because it's a supposedly temporary paycut, I'd start as a temp and it's not only 12 hour shifts, nights included but also will almost certainly involve weekend working. 

I haven't exactly been blown away by what's out there and definitely haven't been blown away with some of the wages on offer but after probably applying for around twenty jobs have had little to no replies despite being more than qualified for some of the jobs. I've had a few agencies phone me about jobs which either I've knocked back or they've moved the goalposts wanting me to start earlier than I can, (despite them already knowing when I'm finishing? Bizarre). 

I need the money and am panicking a bit so will probably end up taking it if offered but I really don't want to for the shift pattern it is. The good thing is it's probably closer than my current job and I've noticed a lot of the jobs advertised are too far away if you work twelves so that's in it's favour. If the wife worked I'd be ok for a while but she can't so..... Basically my head is battered. Even if the wage stayed as it is I'd be the same financially if I payed the mortgage off in February with my redundancy and bonus, (the bonus, even more bizarrely I have to wait for despite finishing in three weeks). 

I feel I'm fucked if I do and fucked if I don't. 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm hungover and expecting a call about a job today after brief chat yesterday but we're ended up being too busy to talk properly about it. I'm massively torn because it's a supposedly temporary paycut, I'd start as a temp and it's not only 12 hour shifts, nights included but also will almost certainly involve weekend working. 

I haven't exactly been blown away by what's out there and definitely haven't been blown away with some of the wages on offer but after probably applying for around twenty jobs have had little to no replies despite being more than qualified for some of the jobs. I've had a few agencies phone me about jobs which either I've knocked back or they've moved the goalposts wanting me to start earlier than I can, (despite them already knowing when I'm finishing? Bizarre). 

I need the money and am panicking a bit so will probably end up taking it if offered but I really don't want to for the shift pattern it is. The good thing is it's probably closer than my current job and I've noticed a lot of the jobs advertised are too far away if you work twelves so that's in it's favour. If the wife worked I'd be ok for a while but she can't so..... Basically my head is battered. Even if the wage stayed as it is I'd be the same financially if I payed the mortgage off in February with my redundancy and bonus, (the bonus, even more bizarrely I have to wait for despite finishing in three weeks). 

I've always thought this time of year is the worse time of the year to look for a job.  Maybe take the job for the time being and look for a better job with better terms for you in the new year. It will at least get you through christmas with less money problems. Shift work is crap, I've done my fair share of them over the years and hated it. Horrible.

Good luck in the job hunt.

• Thanks 1

I know I'm an idealist but the fact in 2023 that people are still being asked to work 12 hour shifts absolutely sickens me. 

Taken with the zero growth in wages in real terms over the last 45 years, all those who celebrate the relative demise of unions including those who now rule the so called Labour Party can hang their heads in shame. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NJS said:

I know I'm an idealist but the fact in 2023 that people are still being asked to work 12 hour shifts absolutely sickens me. 

Taken with the zero growth in wages in real terms over the last 45 years, all those who celebrate the relative demise of unions including those who now rule the so called Labour Party can hang their heads in shame. 

I 100% agree with that.

12 hour shifts especially continental shifts are soul destroying. 

• Like 1

Good luck @Howmanheyman

Hope you get the job and that something better turns up so you can fuck them off in due course.

I think I've resolved my job situation too. Been working at a place that has had a precarious future for a while now, constantly wondering how long the place/my job would last which has been a constant low level stress. I've half known I should have been looking for something else but couldn't be fucked with the hassle of it.

Anyway something has basically fallen into my lap. All being well I'll be starting there in the new year.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Good luck @Howmanheyman

Hope you get the job and that something better turns up so you can fuck them off in due course.

I think I've resolved my job situation too. Been working at a place that has had a precarious future for a while now, constantly wondering how long the place/my job would last which has been a constant low level stress. I've half known I should have been looking for something else but couldn't be fucked with the hassle of it.

Anyway something has basically fallen into my lap. All being well I'll be starting there in the new year.

Good luck with it. :good: I think I'll take the job if offered, mate of a mate has an uncle working somewhere else which I'll keep in reserve if needs be, bit further out but I don't think it's twelve hours? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Same with 5 day working weeks. 

It’s been shown in numerous trials now that productivity remains the same or actually rises with a four day week, whilst employees are far more content and less stressed. 

I work 5 days currently, 07:30-18:00. 
Constantly asked to do extra weekend shifts, for laughable rates. 

Yesterday, was asked at 15:00 if I’d do a shift today. 

Today him I was getting pegged by the Mrs. on Friday night and needed 2 days for my hoop to recover. :lol:

They’ll get the idea eventually. 

• Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 1

6 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye strawb same. Hope everything sorts itself out. Looking forward to your wedding and getting that sorted is some positive though. I loved mine and no doubt you will too. 

Welcome back too @Tdansmithwe have a new account on the block. @Dazzlerhe will be along shortly to ask your wiping ettiquite 

I am going off the assumption that the question has already been posed and answered given that there are an awful lot of welcome backs so I'll hold off for now, until I become suspicious that @Tdansmith is a stander.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Same with 5 day working weeks. 

It’s been shown in numerous trials now that productivity remains the same or actually rises with a four day week, whilst employees are far more content and less stressed. 

I work 5 days currently, 07:30-18:00. 
Constantly asked to do extra weekend shifts, for laughable rates. 

Yesterday, was asked at 15:00 if I’d do a shift today. 

Today him I was getting pegged by the Mrs. on Friday night and needed 2 days for my hoop to recover. :lol:

They’ll get the idea eventually. 

It's another influence from the US where  they think more hours/days with less holidays means productivity increases - it doesn't. 

Places which have the best productivity like Germany put workers' welfare first and get the rewards. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I am going off the assumption that the question has already been posed and answered given that there are an awful lot of welcome backs so I'll hold off for now, until I become suspicious that @Tdansmith is a stander.

Hopper- absolutely savage. 

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

Stressed Out Reaction GIF

Halfway there lads and the Guppy is doing ok.

Couple of meltdowns, told off a few times, but finally calmed down in front of the Lion King. Same for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Jaysus... 1

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

Welcome back Dan, 

I hope the bairn is ok, mate 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm hungover and expecting a call about a job today after brief chat yesterday but we ended up being too busy to talk properly about it. I'm massively torn because it's a supposedly temporary paycut, I'd start as a temp and it's not only 12 hour shifts, nights included but also will almost certainly involve weekend working. 

Good luck with it all, mate. It’s a stress you don’t need at this stage. I went through it about 5 years ago and it all worked out in the end, fortunately. But I really feel for you as I think it’s about as low as I’ve ever felt. Make sure you look after yourself and talk to those you trust. Don’t be a fucking idiot like me and make yourself ill bottling it up. I would think you’ve got a wealth of experience and you’re obviously not lacking in intelligence so you’ll be ok. It’s a fucking shitter but you’ve got some options that’ll at least pay the bills until you get sorted properly. Which is not ideal but it’s something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@Tdansmith The length of your absence  almost precisely coincides with what you’d do after getting a 7 stretch in Ackland for dealing clsss A’s if you’d been let out half way for good behaviour :cuppa:

@The Fish hope bairn is feeling better mate 

@Howmanheyman did they phone you back about the job? 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

@Tdansmith The length of your absence  almost precisely coincides with what you’d get for getting a 7 stretch in Ackland for dealing clsss A’s if you’d been let out half way for good behaviour :cuppa:

@The Fish hope bairn is feeling better mate 

@Howmanheyman did they phone you back about the job? 

I'll see the agency lad on Wednesday when I'm off and take it from there. Apparently it's not a 'normal' temp job as he's strict on who he puts forward for his client, (I'm supposed to do a ten minute presentation after my interview if I agree to doing it :lol:) so it might be legit so I'll just suck it and see for a bit. The presumption is you get taken on after three months and your wage goes up when you pass certain bits of training. We'll see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'll see the agency lad on Wednesday when I'm off and take it from there. Apparently it's not a 'normal' temp job as he's strict on who he puts forward for his client, (I'm supposed to do a ten minute presentation after my interview if I agree to doing it :lol:) so it might be legit so I'll just suck it and see for a bit. The presumption is you get taken on after three months and your wage goes up when you pass certain bits of training. We'll see.

Which agency is it you’re seeing, if you don’t mind me asking mate. 

Some are very good, some aren’t. 

• Jaysus... 1