How you all doing ?

Tdansmith

11 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Which agency is it you’re seeing, if you don’t mind me asking mate. 

Some are very good, some aren’t. 

As far as I'm concerned they're all full of shit but there's enough between the lines where what he says might be legit?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'll see the agency lad on Wednesday when I'm off and take it from there. Apparently it's not a 'normal' temp job as he's strict on who he puts forward for his client, (I'm supposed to do a ten minute presentation after my interview if I agree to doing it :lol:) so it might be legit so I'll just suck it and see for a bit. The presumption is you get taken on after three months and your wage goes up when you pass certain bits of training. We'll see.

Why are they asking for this? 

Would presentations be a normal part of your job? 

If not, gtf. 

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

33 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Why are they asking for this? 

Would presentations be a normal part of your job? 

If not, gtf. 

Not really but in a way that makes me think they must be serious? A normal interview, a written test and/or some kind of rig test would be more than enough. If after all that it turns out to be Mickey mouse they'll just see a dust imprint of where I was standing. :lol:

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Apparently it's not a 'normal' temp job as he's strict on who he puts forward for his client........

.........The presumption is you get taken on after three months and your wage goes up when you pass certain bits of training. We'll see.

Call me cynical but that sounds like "how to get Xmas temp staff in and have them graft more than your permanent employees" 101.

I'm not trying to put you off going for it, just suggesting you don't go into it gung-ho hoping to impress them enough for a permanent contract and use that extra energy to keep looking elsewhere. If there was a permanent job available they wouldn't be fucking about offering 3 month temps jobs with the dangling carrot, they'd just hire folk with no protected characteristics and sack them in the first year if they were shite.

6 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Call me cynical but that sounds like "how to get Xmas temp staff in and have them graft more than your permanent employees" 101.

I'm not trying to put you off going for it, just suggesting you don't go into it gung-ho hoping to impress them enough for a permanent contract and use that extra energy to keep looking elsewhere. If there was a permanent job available they wouldn't be fucking about offering 3 month temps jobs with the dangling carrot, they'd just hire folk with no protected characteristics and sack them in the first year if they were shite.

Unfortunately it's becoming like this, one of my ex-employers are hiring and going down this route and I know of a few others doing it. Keeps them in control for a while. I won't be going gung ho at anything. I'm still looking around. :good:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Unfortunately it's becoming like this, one of my ex-employers are hiring and going down this route and I know of a few others doing it. Keeps them in control for a while. I won't be going gung ho at anything. I'm still looking around. :good:

Can you drive 

Video Games GIF by Far Cry 6

• Sad 1

What strikes me the most about job adverts these days, other than the laughable pay and ridiculous hours, is the total lack of any job benefits or perks. Things have been stripped so far to the bone with regards to workers rights that companies say things like “work canteen” as a benefit with a straight face. I’m in a good role with plenty of responsibility at work these days but the salaries offered elsewhere for similar roles are a total joke tbh. These fuckers finding a way to offer the absolute bare minimum and expecting workers to run themselves into the ground can’t last much longer 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What strikes me the most about job adverts these days, other than the laughable pay and ridiculous hours, is the total lack of any job benefits or perks. Things have been stripped so far to the bone with regards to workers rights that companies say things like “work canteen” as a benefit with a straight face. I’m in a good role with plenty of responsibility at work these days but the salaries offered elsewhere for similar roles are a total joke tbh. These fuckers finding a way to offer the absolute bare minimum and expecting workers to run themselves into the ground can’t last much longer 

I've noticed that as well. 'free parking' put on with a straight face. :lol: Here, cunt chops, your factory isn't in Newcastle city centre with no car park. 

The lad I'm spoken to has sent me the agency's T&C's and there's nothing about notice period, nothing about the wage other than not less than the minimum wage, the holidays are less than the holidays of the company he's wanting me to work for, no guarantee I'll be took on after three months, no guarantee I'll be a temp indefinitely on a shit shift pattern, a wage that doesn't justify the shift pattern, nothing in the agency contract that states my working hours. He's basically sent me the company's details, job description, wage, holidays etc of where he wants me to work but the T&C's of the agency who will be my actual employer aren't the same and are a blank cheque for his agency and for the company where I'll be working to take the piss. I thought there was a law in place where you have to be on the same T&C's as a comparable worker these days? I don't think I'll be taking a chance tbh. 

• Jaysus... 1

A mate who isn't working at the moment saw a job on Indeed as a coach driver.  Reading the description he knew where it was so went to them direct.  The wage was £12.50-£13.50 an hour.  So they offered him in for a chat.  He was chatting and got to wage where they said it was £11.75 an hour.  He pulled them up and mentioned the advertisement to which their reply was 'Oh yeh, we're just reviewing our pay at the moment' fucking cheeky cunts.

• Jaysus... 1

Mind you, this lad turned down 40k a year doing a job in my industry because he didn't want to travel into the city centre.  Now with everyone not really recruiting at the moment (only certain roles) he's struggling to find a job in the industry.  He's got his full HGV license and coach licenses and has always had that as a fall back.  But I think he's too picky and its going to fuck him soon.

• Thanks 1

I ended up knocking back the chance of the job. I think he's legit but I can't be sure and at the end of the day I don't fancy 24/7. Got out of bed at three and getting in touch with him then notice two emails, one inviting me for an assessment for a job I was interested in, another one asking if I could start as soon as I'm finished for another job I enquired about and when they could ring me plus someone phoned up asking me to go for an interview on Wednesday. I didn't know whether I was coming and going and obviously still half asleep. :lol:

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I ended up knocking back the chance of the job. I think he's legit but I can't be sure and at the end of the day I don't fancy 24/7. Got out of bed at three and getting in touch with him then notice two emails, one inviting me for an assessment for a job I was interested in, another one asking if I could start as soon as I'm finished for another job I enquired about and when they could ring me plus someone phoned up asking me to go for an interview on Wednesday. I didn't know whether I was coming and going and obviously still half asleep. :lol:

CMHM, that's awesome news, sometimes we just have to wait for the world to align, then things happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We've been in the paediatric ward since Sunday afternoon. Been pulling the night shift with the little fella.

Poor kid can't maintain >92% O2 without the mask. Got some kind of chest infection. He's fucking bored and fed up. She's up a height, feeling guilty about leaving. 

Got 2hrs kip this afternoon, probably get the same tomorrow. 

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

We've been in the paediatric ward since Sunday afternoon. Been pulling the night shift with the little fella.

Poor kid can't maintain >92% O2 without the mask. Got some kind of chest infection. He's fucking bored and fed up. She's up a height, feeling guilty about leaving. 

Got 2hrs kip this afternoon, probably get the same tomorrow. 

My laddie had the same, several times. 

It’s awful but they said he’d “grow out of it”. 
And he did… about 10 years later. 

How old is Fish Roe? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

My laddie had the same, several times. 

It’s awful but they said he’d “grow out of it”. 
And he did… about 10 years later. 

How old is Fish Roe? 

4 and a bit. Hoping that these antibiotics will clear out his lungs a bit more today so he at least get more restful sleep tonight 

• Like 7

Well, he's still on oxygen, but he's a lot more like himself. Sounds like they'll want him off oxygen for a full 24hrs though, which probably means he'll not be out of here until Friday at the earliest.

Im afraid that means my outstanding contributions to this place will be lacking. Gonna need you to step up your funny jokes, data posts and braggadocio. Ta

• Like 5