gravel voiced dychey and his irritatingly resilient, bowl swirling blue shites v mellifluous eddie's heroic, decimated squad of black and white grunts.

thebrokendoll

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

So then you must think his antics post game yesterday were embarrassing too? Trying to wind up our players, purely because of who they play for instead of celebrating the win.

I hope there are still some mackems out there that get that he played one full season at Sunderland and dumped you in the shit to sign on at Everton because he cared more about playing for England than his home town club. Because this iconic status he has with some of the Sunderland fans is ridiculous. If there was one club he clearly didn't like nearly as much as NUFC it was Sunderland.

any player that acts like that is ruining the game in my opinion. players getting heated is acceptable because it’s competitive but the whole trying to get under someone’s skin just for the sake of it says you lack skill. 

I think it’s clear he still likes the club, we were relegated and players have a short career, so anyone that wants to move on for the benefit of that, is fine by me.

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

you manage to get a ticket for the big event on sunday mate?  

been sold out for months apparently.

Got tickets for Luton on sunday. 

man old friend has a spare ticket so will be good to go there and support a winning side for once 

Said to mates last night around 60 minutes that it would be a moment of genuine quality or a calamitous mistake that would decide the game. Wasn't expecting two, from us, by Trippier of all people. Everton played as well as they could, but don't be under any delusion; had we a full strength XI, or even options from the bench, we wouldn't have lost that game. 

3-0 flatters them massively, that was a niggly, scrappy attritional 1-0 if ever I saw one. Trippier's errors were born of exhaustion and while he shoulders the blame for two of their goals, the attacking group didn't do enough with the few chances we had and didn't do enough to create chances either. It's not surprise that the goals all came late on in the second half. 

Mind you 270 minutes over 8 days, against top tier opposition in PSG, Man Utd and a motivated indignant Everton was always going to be a big ask. If you'd said we'd have 6pts from Chelsea, Man Utd and Everton I think we all would have taken that.

Gordon looked off it all game and I wonder if the occasion got to him. First real game against them, at Goodison, in front of a hostile fanbase, when he's surely knackered. Almiron and Isak didn't do much either. 

Spurs next and unless there's a miraculous recovery it'll be the same 11 again, I reckon. What I hope will do is either change how we set up, or put some faith in the fresh legs of our fringe players to see out a game.

• Like 4

I was way less confident about last night than I was about Man United. A proper grafting Dyche team was always going to make things harder for us.

Shite result but West Ham did us a favour.

We can't play that same 11 on Sunday and Wednesday though.

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I was way less confident about last night than I was about Man United. A proper grafting Dyche team was always going to make things harder for us.

Shite result but West Ham did us a favour.

We can't play that same 11 on Sunday and Wednesday though.

We have no choice.  The stakes are too high.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Said to mates last night around 60 minutes that it would be a moment of genuine quality or a calamitous mistake that would decide the game. Wasn't expecting two, from us, by Trippier of all people. Everton played as well as they could, but don't be under any delusion; had we a full strength XI, or even options from the bench, we wouldn't have lost that game. 

3-0 flatters them massively, that was a niggly, scrappy attritional 1-0 if ever I saw one. Trippier's errors were born of exhaustion and while he shoulders the blame for two of their goals, the attacking group didn't do enough with the few chances we had and didn't do enough to create chances either. It's not surprise that the goals all came late on in the second half. 

Mind you 270 minutes over 8 days, against top tier opposition in PSG, Man Utd and a motivated indignant Everton was always going to be a big ask. If you'd said we'd have 6pts from Chelsea, Man Utd and Everton I think we all would have taken that.

Gordon looked off it all game and I wonder if the occasion got to him. First real game against them, at Goodison, in front of a hostile fanbase, when he's surely knackered. Almiron and Isak didn't do much either. 

Spurs next and unless there's a miraculous recovery it'll be the same 11 again, I reckon. What I hope will do is either change how we set up, or put some faith in the fresh legs of our fringe players to see out a game.

Great summary,

Isak looks so much better running at players.  It's how we play him in future.

Fully agree with Gordon.  Hopefully he's got that game out of the way, any future game v them he can control his emotions better.  He was still a threat, but his end product was poor.

Na fuck that, I think we rotate Hall and Krafth at least into the starting 11, possibly even Dummett (I know!) even if it's just for the first 60 minutes. Our entire back line looks fucked, and a team like Spurs will absolutely crucify us if we aren't careful.

A rotated back 4 managed to make a mug of Man City and Man Utd in the cup games so I think we have to take a bit of a gamble and trust that they can do the job. Longstaff might be back for the Milan game (I read somewhere) which would be a massive help too.

• Like 3

I don't think Eddie has any choice but to rotate, or at least use his subs earlier. i can see why he's sticking with the players who have done so well, given the lack of options on the bench, but so many of them were gassed last night, he's got to roll the dice and give the like of Hall, Ritchie and Krafth more game time. it'll be interesting to see if he prioritises Spurs or Milan, or just carries on with the same 11 - there is a real danger we pick up even more injuries if he doesn't rest one or two

I’d try and get in the lead then protect it (or accept a draw) by putting the subs on.  We can’t chase games because we are too knackered or don’t have any attacking threat on the bench.

Although saying that I dont mind Dummett swapping in for Lascelles. I don’t think Hall is ready to start yet. Especially away from home.

Anyway. I’ll leave these decisions upto Eddie. He knows best. 😀

I'd say the game is a bit of a write off tbh. Our current first 11 is too tired to beat Spurs, and our subs are probably not at the necessary standard. We're probably going to lose it regardless, so I'd rather we rotate vs Spurs and rest some very tired legs, and then try and batter Milan. Hopefully, from there we will start to see some of our close injuries start to creep back onto the bench for the remaining games in December / early Jan.

• Like 1

Just now, Dazzler said:

I'd say the game is a bit of a write off tbh. Our current first 11 is too tired to beat Spurs, and our subs are probably not at the necessary standard. We're probably going to lose it regardless, so I'd rather we rotate vs Spurs and rest some very tired legs, and then try and batter Milan. Hopefully, from there we will start to see some of our close injuries start to creep back onto the bench for the remaining games in December / early Jan.

Which game is more important? Which accountant do we believe? Tune in next week! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ideally I'd prioritise Spurs. But given that it's the next game, I think that's the game that more has to give for.

I wouldn't start last night's 11 in either game though.

What meaningful change can you make? On paper, every sub bar perhaps Hall just makes us worse. You can tinker around the edges but Howe's hands - and legs - are tied. 

The season is becoming  a bit of a write off league wise. Out away record is just too poor and I just can't see this changing unfortunately unless the club relent and give tbd an honary away pass. Teams like Villa and Liverpool have improved, Brighton, Spurs, City, Arsenal. Even ManU are above us. By Xmas it's too late so unless we get our act together now in our home games anyway. Also, you know, we've lost Pope, that's a big deal. I wasn't impressed by Drubavka at all last night. 

All in all, this is now a transitionary year after over achieving last year. We've got some amazing players for the future. But let's win a cup this year, League cup will do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

What meaningful change can you make? On paper, every sub bar perhaps Hall just makes us worse. You can tinker around the edges but Howe's hands - and legs - are tied. 

The season is becoming  a bit of a write off league wise. Out away record is just too poor and I just can't see this changing unfortunately unless the club relent and give tbd an honary away pass. Teams like Villa and Liverpool have improved, Brighton, Spurs, City, Arsenal. Even ManU are above us. By Xmas it's too late so unless we get our act together now in our home games anyway. Also, you know, we've lost Pope, that's a big deal. I wasn't impressed by Drubavka at all last night. 

All in all, this is now a transitionary year after over achieving last year. We've got some amazing players for the future. But let's win a cup this year, League cup will do. 

Is an exhausted error prone Trippier still better than Krafth?

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

unbelievable negativity. 

we are one point off 5th and four points off 4th. this is despite all the extra fixtures and injuries. 

now, pop a prozac and get your sausage in your hand ffs 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

But the thing is, you can't say that the league is a write off, cos they still make you play the 38 games.

Your chance of winning the League Cup is boosted DRAMATICALLY by not being in 4 competitions (hint: again, they make us play all 38 league games, so that's not the one that we can give up on) but you won't have that.

As to what meaningful changes we can make in terms of selection, we will have to accept putting out a worse first 11 in the short term. The alternative is to continue to flog the same 10 outfield players, and you can't seriously think that that's the right answer? We have to rotate in worse/youth players and hope that they perform.

Edited by Gemmill

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Is an exhausted error prone Trippier still better than Krafth?

I think this is the benefit of hindsight. I don't recall Trippier being criticised before the first error on this thread, and by then it was too late. Subbing after an error which must have killed him would not help his morale. I mean we can rest him next match but we'll definitely be worse for it imo. 

43 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don't think Eddie has any choice but to rotate, or at least use his subs earlier. i can see why he's sticking with the players who have done so well, given the lack of options on the bench, but so many of them were gassed last night, he's got to roll the dice and give the like of Hall, Ritchie and Krafth more game time. it'll be interesting to see if he prioritises Spurs or Milan, or just carries on with the same 11 - there is a real danger we pick up even more injuries if he doesn't rest one or two

But last night when a couple questioned his subs we were told look at the bench.

Brining on Krafth and Ritchie on in the 90th minute to me didn't make sense.  

BTW is Lascelles ok?

I think this is the benefit of hindsight. I don't recall Trippier being criticised before the first error on this thread, and by then it was too late. Subbing after an error which must have killed him would not help his morale. I mean we can rest him next match but we'll definitely be worse for it imo. 

Of course we'll be worse off for it, but that's the reality of our situation.

Now wake up to it BITCH!

Out away record is just too poor and I just can't see this changing unfortunately

You can't? I can, when we get players back fit, additions in January, fewer European/FA and League cup fixtures I think we can see away wins flow. Our final 6 away games are all winnable IMHO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

But the thing is, you can't say that the league is a write off, cos they still make you play the 38 games.

Your chance of winning the League Cup is boosted DRAMATICALLY by not being in 4 competitions (hint: again, they make us play all 38 league games, so that's not the one that we can give up on) but you won't have that.

As to what meaningful changes we can make in terms of selection, we will have to accept putting out a worse first 11 in the short term. The alternative is to continue to flog the same 10 outfield players, and you can't seriously think that that's the right answer? We have to rotate in worse/youth players and hope that they perform.

It's not like we can rotate though, there is fuck all on the bench. You put kids on against Spurs, we are annihilted, then what? Not good for their or our team morale. 

We need to change the way we play, not the personnel. How, I don't know. That's Howe's job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

unbelievable negativity. 

we are one point off 5th and four points off 4th. this is despite all the extra fixtures and injuries. 

now, pop a prozac and get your sausage in your hand ffs 

Yet again, mistaking negativity for realism and priorities. Honestly, I don't give a shit about being top 4 this year anyway, that will land us with the same issues as this year. Wanting to win a cup is not negative ffs. 

Haven't most of our away fixtures come after CL games too?

Not that I would fucking DREAM of suggesting that we might be better off without that as a continued distraction this season, when we're down to 13 fit senior outfield players in December.

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I meant for Spurs