Eddie Howe's Stumbling Sausages visit [checks notes] Rob Edwards' Harried Hatters

Meenzer

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This was the view in the second half :lol: 

The zinc pipe is the floodlight pedestal 

The other is the 20th century roof support and rainwater pipe 👍

Probably hasn’t come out great but the sky has a really nice hue to it here :) 

IMG_3458.jpeg

From a TV viewing perspective, Kenilworth Road is dreadful as you can't really see what's going on in either box due to the camera angle. From a nostalgic perspective though, it's great to see such a timewarp ground scrape into the Premier League. Thanks PL for the photos.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

'Character'

GTFO.  Shit hole.

It’s how most of England looked in a lot of our childhoods and when some of us started going to away games. There were entrances similar to this to go with the plush marble halls at the frankly middle class art deco shrine that  was Highbury where the directors were Old Etonians:cuppa:

IMG_3461.thumb.jpeg.42011921b07f603470e904728c5784e6.jpegIMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.3dcbcf9a59e15d5dd9ab38907608bcd5.jpeg

The point being the clubs were mostly situated in communities in which they were founded . There is great deal to be said for that in the third decade of the 21st century. When a lot of institutions that tied us to each other have been dismantled  or closed due to lack of interest (eg mass workforces in factories and trade unions, the church and organised religion, even local pubs ffs) football clubs outside the premier league elite still serve as places where locals can congregate and share something. When you then consider the last 30 odd years of Luton’s history ie where they were, where they ended up and their journey back then for me the football club is a brilliant thing to have literally in among the houses of the supporters :good: 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s how most of England looked in a lot of our childhoods and when some of us started going to away games. There were entrances similar to this to go with the plush marble halls at the frankly middle class art deco shrine that  was Highbury where the directors were Old Etonians:cuppa:

IMG_3461.thumb.jpeg.42011921b07f603470e904728c5784e6.jpegIMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.3dcbcf9a59e15d5dd9ab38907608bcd5.jpeg

The point being the clubs were mostly situated in communities in which they were founded . There is great deal to be said for that in the third decade of the 21st century. When a lot of institutions that tied us to each other have been dismantled  or closed due to lack of interest (eg mass workforces in factories and trade unions, the church and organised religion, even local pubs ffs) football clubs outside the premier league elite still serve as places where locals can congregate and share something. When you then consider the last 30 odd years of Luton’s history ie where they were, where they ended up and their journey back then for me the football club is a brilliant thing to have literally in among the houses of the supporters :good: 

Fantastic post PL. 👍

Despite looking tiny, the interior photos look like there's not many there? Was this a long time before ko or something? 

I remember the old Highbury with fondness. I like the Emirates too but something is lost. It's why we must never leave SJP imo. 

Meanwhile, if you fancy a bit of Arsenal's history, you can buy a 3 bed flat in the found for only 1.5 million quid. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/141886295

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Fantastic post PL. 👍

Despite looking tiny, the interior photos look like there's not many there? Was this a long time before ko or something? 

I remember the old Highbury with fondness. I like the Emirates too but something is lost. It's why we must never leave SJP imo. 

Meanwhile, if you fancy a bit of Arsenal's history, you can buy a 3 bed flat in the found for only 1.5 million quid. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/141886295

Yeah we were in just after two… we had our mate with us, a teetotal ground hopper who was properly hyped up to get in… pleased we did really enjoyed the clerb 🍺

Highbury is/was my favourite away ground.  Got beat 5-1 after SBR was sacked, we were so bad Ray fuckin Parlour scored three. Went to the pub where all the buses left from and there were about 50 of us  all singing and going defiantly. There was a little fellah in there with a flat cap and a huge red and white scarf almost bigger than him, looking a bit bemused …. “What appens when you lot win then?” he said :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

On 23/12/2023 at 11:37, Gemmill said:

There's 20 PL games and the FA Cup to play yet. Plus a transfer window and 4 or 5 players to come back from injury.

Calling the season a "write-off" is ridiculously defeatist.

Write off is not exactly the right word but for me it's about perspective as a fan, it means accepting we probably won't be finishing in the CL places this season. 

We just don't look the part away from home. That might change once everyone is fit but might be a bit late by then to grab 4th spot again. Enjoy the home games, remember where we are coming from and where we are going. And beat the mackems please. 

• Like 1