Conscription - Would you do it?

wykikitoon

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not sure I follow. I think conscription would only occur in a WW1 or 2 situation where our nearest neighbours were under direct attack. Simply would never happen. Not to mention, if anything, we should be relieved at just how shit the Russian military has shown itself to be. They can't even take Ukraine, the useless corrupt bastards. 

If war in Ukraine hasn’t caused a nuclear catastrophe so far it’s highly unlikely that scenario will ever now occur iyam

We've seen in the last 20 years that UK & USA/NATO will commit boots on the ground should the circumstances be deemed advantageous. 

Army recruitment is pitiful backed with the continuing Tory cuts to critical defence spending, if we’re to commit resources to other flashpoints around the globe that’s going to be difficult if most Divisions are committed to Ukraine 

The General’s comments yesterday come from the same place as the thinking behind the Nightingale Hospitals during the pandemic; plan for worse case scenario. If it’s not used, fine. 

Ex Army officer Tobias Elwood utterly skewered Johnson on this. There isn’t going to be a nuclear incident re Ukraine, it would’ve happened by now . There could well be a land war in Eastern Europe spreading westwards though and military figures are petrified that we wouldn’t be able to commit & cope 

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If war in Ukraine hasn’t caused a nuclear catastrophe so far it’s highly unlikely that scenario will ever now occur iyam

We've seen in the last 20 years that UK & USA/NATO will commit boots on the ground should the circumstances be deemed advantageous. 

Army recruitment is pitiful backed with the continuing Tory cuts to critical defence spending, if we’re to commit resources to other flashpoints around the globe that’s going to be difficult if most Divisions are committed to Ukraine 

The General’s comments yesterday come from the same place as the thinking behind the Nightingale Hospitals during the pandemic; plan for worse case scenario. If it’s not used, fine. 

Ex Army officer Tobias Elwood utterly skewered Johnson on this. There isn’t going to be a nuclear incident re Ukraine, it would’ve happened by now . There could well be a land war in Eastern Europe spreading westwards though and military figures are petrified that we wouldn’t be able to commit & cope 

Well I dunno about that. End of the day Ukraine is not in NATO. If it had been, we would have been comitted to defend it directly, it wouldn't be a "proxy" war any more (dislike this term in this context, it's just a fucking war). Had Russia invaded Poland or a Baltic country, then it would be very different. 

I think it is clear now that in a conventional conflict between Russia and NATO, Russia would be obliterated. Their army is poorly equipped and trained and has corruption/morale issues. Supply lines break down over 50 miles. Their technology is laughable, NATO would have air superiority on day 1. The combined economic might of NATO is orders of magnitude higher than Russia. For these reasons, they will never dare to attack a NATO country. If they did, they would likely have to escalate to nuclear weapons very quickly or face humiliating defeat. Let's hope that doesn't ever happen. 

This is all pre-Trump second term mind. Putin might try something if the US leave NATO. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

Isn't there something too that we signed by Obama and the Russians re limiting nuclear warheads, that's up for renewal in the next couple of years isn't it?

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well I dunno about that. End of the day Ukraine is not in NATO. If it had been, we would have been comitted to defend it directly, it wouldn't be a "proxy" war any more (dislike this term in this context, it's just a fucking war). Had Russia invaded Poland or a Baltic country, then it would be very different. 

I think it is clear now that in a conventional conflict between Russia and NATO, Russia would be obliterated. Their army is poorly equipped and trained and has corruption/morale issues. Supply lines break down over 50 miles. Their technology is laughable, NATO would have air superiority on day 1. The combined economic might of NATO is orders of magnitude higher than Russia. For these reasons, they will never dare to attack a NATO country. If they did, they would likely have to escalate to nuclear weapons very quickly or face humiliating defeat. Let's hope that doesn't ever happen. 

This is all pre-Trump second term mind. Putin might try something if the US leave NATO. 

Donald "first American president not to start a war" Trump will push the button on Iran on the same day as the inauguration. He was desperate to go to war with them until COVID came along and ruined his plans.

If he gets in WW3 is inevitable IMO. Hopefully, he succumbs to his dementia before then, as it's becoming even more apparent that he is suffering with it considering he keeps talking about President Obama in all of his speeches/interviews despite it being almost a decade since Obama last held office.

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

No and the hypothetical scenario posited is ridiculous so still no 

If Trump gets in he’s handing Eastern Ukraine to Russia. So who then stops him taking the whole of Ukraine? US will be out of NATO by then.  And if the US aren’t in NATO is the UK unilaterally going to nuke Russia?…. on Rabbie Burns birthday I’ll just say “ah hae ma doots”…

Edited by PaddockLad

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Donald "first American president not to start a war" Trump will push the button on Iran on the same day as the inauguration. He was desperate to go to war with them until COVID came along and ruined his plans.

If he gets in WW3 is inevitable IMO. Hopefully, he succumbs to his dementia before then, as it's becoming even more apparent that he is suffering with it considering he keeps talking about President Obama in all of his speeches/interviews despite it being almost a decade since Obama last held office.

Dementia won't stop him getting elected. He was absolutely railing against Nikki Hailey the other day, and it suddenly dawned on me the fucker meant Nancy Pelosi. :lol: Perhaps if he shits himself live on TV that might put people off him? 

I've got some sympathy for the US, 'cos the majority of people don't want either candidate. At this point, I am most angry at Biden for not stepping down, not mentoring and fostering a decent young replacement. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If Trump gets in he’s handing Eastern Ukraine to Russia. So who then stops him taking the whole of Ukraine? US will be out of NATO by then 

I don’t know but it won’t be me. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If Trump gets in he’s handing Eastern Ukraine to Russia. So who then stops him taking the whole of Ukraine? US will be out of NATO by then.  And if the US aren’t in NATO is the UK unilaterally going to nuke Russia?…. on Rabbie Burns birthday I’ll just say “ah hae ma doots”…

Ukraine could ward off Russia defensively with the help of NATO sans US I reckon. Defendng the borders is much easier than retaking lost land. We spent dacades being scared of the Soviet empire, only to find out now the emperor has no clothes. 

Edited by Renton

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Dementia won't stop him getting elected. He was absolutely railing against Nikki Hailey the other day, and it suddenly dawned on me the fucker meant Nancy Pelosi. :lol: Perhaps if he shits himself live on TV that might put people off him? 

I've got some sympathy for the US, 'cos the majority of people don't want either candidate. At this point, I am most angry at Biden for not stepping down, not mentoring and fostering a decent young replacement. 

Na it won't because the backward hillbillies that love him will not have the braincells necessary to realise he's making these howlers. Especially considering they all hated Obama because they've committed full time to the owld racism, so whenever he's slagging off Biden using Obama's name they'll be loving it, even though it clearly shows how unfit he is for office - among the other obvious reasons.

He could shit himself live on air, directly into a maga hat and wipe his arse on a klan hood and they'd still vote him in. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

Ukraine could ward off Russia defensively with the help of NATO sans US I reckon. Defendng the borders is much easier than retaking lost land. We spent dacades being scared of the Soviet empire, only to find out now the emperor has no clothes. 

So we let Putin with his pet orange chimp in the Whitehouse win?… and he’ll stop there will he? I don’t care about much these days but I think Putin & Trump pose a massive threat if/when that cunt gets back in. But as you say I expect we’ll just rollover and let a sovereign nation be taken over by its neighbour by force. Politicians will get client media to write the opinion pieces justifying it and that’ll be that… 

Just now, Nefilim said:

Wow - penetrated your echo chambor did I?

No. Parky was a poster on here with all the same theories that you have. Most of us are aware of the circumstances of the removal of the former President of Ukraine .  I for one don’t want to go over old ground especially in a thread which is specifically about the likelihood or not for conscription in the UK and scenarios which might lead to it. There’s a Russia/Ukraine thread if you want to look in there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Howay then, lets have a roll call on the mighty toontastic men ellifgible for conscription, lets say <40 years. Erm....

Dazzler, see above. 

Tom, gout, amongst many, many things. 

Rayvin, :lol: 

Andrew, New Zealand 

We're fucked lads. 

Currently 39 so I think I qualify. I wouldn’t do it though, it would be a war crime cos I’m so nails 

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So we let Putin with his pet orange chimp in the Whitehouse win?… and he’ll stop there will he? I don’t care about much these days but I think Putin & Trump pose a massive threat if/when that cunt gets back in. But as you say I expect we’ll just rollover and let a sovereign nation be taken over by its neighbour by force. Politicians will get client media to write the opinion pieces justifying it and that’ll be that… 

Nowt we can do about Trump, it depresses the hell out of me. I like to think, even in this country, Europe will get together to defend itself against Putin if it has to. Their military machine (nukes aside) is nothing to be scared of. 

I think it is likely Ukraine will ultimately lose the territory Russia has gained unfortunately, but the rot has to stop there imo. I was listening to a podcast this week which said in the early days Zhelensky was close to doing a deal with Russia but then Bucher happened and that was that. Maybe as some kind of compromise we could draw rUkraine into the EU and NATO fold. I honestly don't know how the majority of people living in eg. Donbas would feel about this, or rUkraine for that matter. Peace has to come about somehow. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

No. Parky was a poster on here with all the same theories that you have. Most of us are aware of the circumstances of the removal of the former President of Ukraine .  I for one don’t want to go over old ground especially in a thread which is specifically about the likelihood or not for conscription in the UK and scenarios which might lead to it. There’s a Russia/Ukraine thread if you want to look in there 

Fair. Wasn't privvy to Parky, so excuse my reticence regarding the echo chamber! 

Yeah, understand this can very quickly transition into a whole different topic.

Am too old but even if wasn’t they can fuck off, this shit tip isn’t worth fighting for.

Depending on the invader, I may well look to help them though.

21 minutes ago, Nefilim said:

Wow - penetrated your echo chambor did I?

You dirty bastard 

• Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 1