Toon in £15m Torres bid

Jimbo

Toon in £15m bid for Tor

MORE TOP FOOTIE NEWS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...6120367,00.html

By ERIC BEAUCHAMP

NEWCASTLE have tabled a £15million bid for Fernando Torres to replace Alan Shearer.

But Toon chiefs face a battle with Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea to land the Atletico Madrid and Spain striker.

Torres, 21, is set to be sold this summer and last night admitted Atletico chiefs have informed him of Newcastle’s offer.

He said: “There’s always been talk about lots of clubs but I only know about one firm offer and that’s from Newcastle because the club confirmed it to me.

“I’ve never thought about listening to offers from anyone. I consider Atletico my home and I’m happy but you can’t always be certain about what may happen.”

Toon scouts have identified Torres as an ideal replacement for goal-king Shearer, who has become the club’s record scorer on 202 goals after beating Jackie Milburn’s tally of 200 last month.

Torres has captained Atletico for three seasons, scoring 59 goals in 128 La Liga games and is set to lead Spain’s attack at the World Cup.

Well if it's true, I would hope that this means that there is a new manager behind the scenes telling them who he wants, and that this isn't the result of another of Shepherd's own personal scouting trips.

Woohoo, a front line of Owen, Torres, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and van Nistelrooy.

I'm getting soooo excited...

Next they are saying Brett Emerton will be a Newcastle player by the end of the week.

They sound very sinilar to the quotes from last summer around the time of Luque and Owen arriving.

107352[/snapback]

I'm willing to bet his quote refers to the bid we made for Torres before signing Owen last summer.

107367[/snapback]

That would be right.

Sky

Look at the date

Edited by geordieshandy

I don't remember those quotes being attached to the story from last August, and I do believe it's possible we'll make a move for Torres.

Severely doubt we'll get him though, I'd expect other clubs to be interested, bigger, shinier clubs at that.

Im far from impressed with the last player we bought from Spain.

107491[/snapback]

The one before that wasn't all that good either.

Still though, I don't think we can hold our previous players from Spain as as barometer for how well someone like Torres would do.

Guest CrimsonFault

107491[/snapback]

Owen hasn't impressed you?

107493[/snapback]

Fook, I meant Luque.

107491[/snapback]

Owen hasn't impressed you?

107493[/snapback]

Fook, I meant Luque.

107504[/snapback]

Sorry, I was winding, I realised you meant that but, apart from Owen, you could say that about all of our imports from Spain or Portugal

Thinking outside the box a bit here (i love my marketing, i do), there haven't been that many succesful players that have come over from Spain or Portugal and done well in this league. The only couple of examples are Alonso and Ronaldo, and even then, Ronaldo has done fuck all for a year.

All of our lot (bar that centre back we had on loan), all the Spanish/Portugues at Chelsea and Liverpool are predominantly rubbish. Steer clear of Spain I say. France is the place to go, but then we may end up with Guivarc'h and Charvet. Okay, No to France, some Italian steel and flair, like erm, Pistone and Coco. Fair enough then, no Italians either. We should go to South America then, I've read on N-O that there's plenty of good players there, or atleast in Football Manager there are. Might end up with another Bassedas, Gavilan or Fumaca. Erm right. Try British then. British lads work their bollocks off for the cause don't they, and they're quality... I reckon that Jenas, Disco Hamilton and that Asian loving fella might have something to say on the contrary.

Fuck it. Home grown is where what we ne... Elliot, Chopra, Shola, Walton, Coppinger...

You know what, just let it go man. Lock the gates, have it over with. We've got no chance. There's no good players. Anywhere.

Next they are saying Brett Emerton will be a Newcastle player by the end of the week.

107375[/snapback]

One of Alan Oliver's greatest ever pieces, he had him signed sealed and delivered, shame for him Bobby didn't!