Jenas chants

Renton

Just interested in what people thought about the homophobic chants aimed at Jenas yesterday. Now let me make it clear I'm not a prude and not really bothered by them, but is it acceptable in this day and age to shout homophobic insults at players, and if so, why? Having seen racist chants effectively thrown out of football, why is it still acceptable to chant "Jenas takes it up the arse"?

Personally, I don't like it and won't participate in chanting it. I thinks it's nasty, will make it even harder for gay footballers to come out the closet, but worst of all I fail to see any humour in it. However, having said that, I am acutely aware that football is becoming over-sanitized as it is, and soon you will probably not be allowed to swear at all. Also, although I don't like "Jenas takes it up the arse", I have to admit I did find "Taxi for Rockshots" quite funny, and don't mind that. So am I a hypocrite?

While we're on the subject, is acceptable to abuse the gf or wife of footballers, and where does this end? For instance, is it acceptable to suggest Ms Tweedy might like anal sex? :) Again, I've go no probem with this but I'm not sure why.... ;)

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just interested in what people thought about the homophobic chants aimed at Jenas yesterday. Now let me make it clear I'm not a prude and not really bothered by them, but is it acceptable in this day and age to shout homophobic insults at players, and if so, why? Having seen racist chants effectively thrown out of football, why is it still acceptable to chant "Jenas takes it up the arse"?

Personally, I don't like it and won't participate in chanting it. I thinks it's nasty, will make it even harder for gay footballers to come out the closet, but worst of all I fail to see any humour in it. However, having said that, I am acutely aware that football is becoming over-sanitized as it is, and soon you will probably not be allowed to swear at all. Also, although I don't like "Jenas takes it up the arse", I have to admit I did find "Taxi for Rockshots" quite funny, and don't mind that. So am I a hypocrite?

While we're on the subject, is acceptable to abuse the gf or wife of footballers, and where does this end? For instance, is it acceptable to suggest Ms Tweedy might like anal sex?  :)  Again, I've go no probem with this but I'm not sure why....  ;)

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

Totally acceptable IMO, no worse than "you fat bastard" or "Sit down pinochio" etc etc.

Awaits head sheep Gemmil to baaa baaa in on this one

Totally acceptable IMO, no worse than "you fat bastard" or "Sit down pinochio" etc etc.

113535[/snapback]

People said that about racist chants 20 years ago though. Attitudes will change on this I'm certain, but I'm worried things might get over-sanitized.

Edit: I didn't see the N-O threadathon before posting this btw. To save me reading, what's the conclusion? ;)

Edited by Renton

While we're on the subject, is acceptable to abuse the gf or wife of footballers, and where does this end? For instance, is it acceptable to suggest Ms Tweedy might like anal sex?  :)  Again, I've go no probem with this but I'm not sure why....  :)

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

113535[/snapback]

Don't worry yourself. All homosexuals will die out soon what with their inability to breed.

You fucking numpty ;)

I think given the situation with tabloids and gay footballers who aren't coming out, the chants just make it even worse. Football should have no place for homophobia, or just the attention the tabloids give for footballers, and his actions off the pitch aren't of our concern. That said, I don't have a problem with the lighthearted chants, and he didn't do himself any good by what he said.

While we're on the subject, is acceptable to abuse the gf or wife of footballers, and where does this end? For instance, is it acceptable to suggest Ms Tweedy might like anal sex?  :)  Again, I've go no probem with this but I'm not sure why....  :)

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

113535[/snapback]

Don't worry yourself. All homosexuals will die out soon what with their inability to breed.

You fucking numpty ;)

113538[/snapback]

I NEVER said they'd die out shortly you selective reading knobbette,

I simply pointed out that the inability to breed tends to mean a limited future in evolutionary and natural terms

Edited by Toonpack

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

113535[/snapback]

You fucking numpty ;)

113538[/snapback]

I simply pointed out that the inability to breed tends to mean a limited future in evolutionary and natural terms

113542[/snapback]

Partridge2.jpg

Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, tbh.

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

113535[/snapback]

You fucking numpty ;)

113538[/snapback]

113542[/snapback]

Partridge2.jpg

113545[/snapback]

And that's supposed to mean what ?????????????????

Any thoughts? Meenzer?

113532[/snapback]

113535[/snapback]

You fucking numpty ;)

113538[/snapback]

113542[/snapback]

Partridge2.jpg

113545[/snapback]

And that's supposed to mean what ?????????????????

113549[/snapback]

whoosh2ic.gif

whoosh2ic.gif

113553[/snapback]

:)

And I don't think I've ever been called a 'knobette' before. Class. :)

113555[/snapback]

If the cap fits ;)

SOOO what's the difference between shouting "Jenas likes it up the arse" or "you fat bastard" or "sit down pinochio" I would REALLY like to know.

I thought 'Taxi for Rockshots' was fairly witty. The others while not being offensive to me I can see why others would get their knickers in a twist about them. Is calling someoen gay homophobic? Calling someone black isnt racist. Surely there has to be more. Its a grey as fuck area that tbh I'd rather not touch witha bargepole. To give the benefit of the doubt to those chanting I'd assume that half the reason for the chant si because its a rumour. If Jenas did admit to being gay then it takes on a different perspective. If a footballer was outed as a cross dresser and fans took the piss would people find that offensive? Im not so sure (and I know its not exactly the same thing). We've constantly chanted things at refs far worse than anything Jenas got yesterday.

well i dont agree with it being a problem. Jenas hasnt come out as being gay therefore I dont see it as homophobic also the chant of "JJ takes it up the arse" doesnt really seem homophobic to me as its either true or not, are we going to stop calling Crouch a "lanky twat" or a "geet massive mong"?

well i dont agree with it being a problem. Jenas hasnt come out as being gay therefore I dont see it as homophobic also the chant of "JJ takes it up the arse" doesnt really seem homophobic to me as its either true or not, are we going to stop calling Crouch a "lanky twat" or a "geet massive  mong"?

113560[/snapback]

Lanky mong.

well i dont agree with it being a problem. Jenas hasnt come out as being gay therefore I dont see it as homophobic also the chant of "JJ takes it up the arse" doesnt really seem homophobic to me as its either true or not, are we going to stop calling Crouch a "lanky twat" or a "geet massive  mong"?

113560[/snapback]

You don't think "Jenas takes it up the arse" was sang with vitriol, you don't think it was intended to be an insult? Do you think the chants would stop if he came out and admitted he was gay? You can't tell the difference between taking the piss out of someone's race or sexuality and the fact they are tall?

I wasn't surprised by some of the posts on N-O as I kind of expect it over there, but I have to say this coming from you surprises me.

113560[/snapback]

You don't think "Jenas takes it up the arse" was sang with vitriol, you don't think it was intended to be an insult? Do you think the chants would stop if he came out and admitted he was gay? You can't tell the difference between taking the piss out of someone's race or sexuality and the fact they are tall?

I wasn't surprised by some of the posts on N-O as I kind of expect it over there, but I have to say this coming from you surprises me.

113565[/snapback]

But REALLY what is the difference, why is someone's physical appearance different in the slagging league than their sexuality ??????

113560[/snapback]

113565[/snapback]

But REALLY what is the difference, why is someone's physical appearance different in the slagging league than their sexuality ??????

113568[/snapback]

People aren't descriminated against on the basis of their appearance (at least not overtly). They aren't beaten up in the streets because of it, or refused jobs, or murdered. The problem I can see with these chants is that it reinforces prejudice already present in a small minority of idiots who can't cope with people having a different sexuality. I can't see much of a difference between it and racism; using your logic do you think it's OK to insult someone on the basis of their race?

But as I said, I am also wary about over-sanitization in the game, and share LuckyPierre's reservations to an extent.

113560[/snapback]

113565[/snapback]

maybe I didnt put the point forward very well, is it homophobic to state that someone takes it up the arse? what constitutes homophobic chanting? is the following racist? "Shola is black", its quite clear that "Shola is a black ba....." would be racist but Im not sure the first is. Therefore is "JJ takes it up the arse"? If Meenzer was to sing it would that make him homophobic?

What are we allowed to take the piss out of these days then? and frankly what makes the abuse of someone being tall or short any less hurtful? can we not sing the likes of "wheres your drunken centre half?" if an alcoholic player is around? Keep going the way we are and soon there will be no banter at matches, players get paid shitloads of money, one of the downsides of this is they have to face thousands of fans who want to see them fail, week in week out. How you live your life shows in how people treat you. If a player was straight but enjoyed taking a phone up their arse would that be ok to rip the piss out of?

113560[/snapback]

113565[/snapback]

maybe I didnt put the point forward very well, is it homophobic to state that someone takes it up the arse? what constitutes homophobic chanting? is the following racist? "Shola is black", its quite clear that "Shola is a black ba....." would be racist but Im not sure the first is. Therefore is "JJ takes it up the arse"? If Meenzer was to sing it would that make him homophobic?

What are we allowed to take the piss out of these days then? and frankly what makes the abuse of someone being tall or short any less hurtful? can we not sing the likes of "wheres your drunken centre half?" if an alcoholic player is around? Keep going the way we are and soon there will be no banter at matches, players get paid shitloads of money, one of the downsides of this is they have to face thousands of fans who want to see them fail, week in week out. How you live your life shows in how people treat you. If a player was straight but enjoyed taking a phone up their arse would that be ok to rip the piss out of?

113574[/snapback]

I agree, and I don't know what the acceptable line is and when it's crossed. However, reading on N-O it's clear a lot of people who think the chant is OK are clearly prejudiced, going on about "unnatural" acts and the like. On the one hand, this type of chant is not going to help homosexual players come out the closet and start being true to themselves (which will have a knock on effect with the general population), but on the other hand banning it is going to make football grounds increasingly sterile. Difficult one.

However, I think the chants should at least try and be humourous like the "taxi for Rockshots" one. I did laugh at that.