General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I don’t think it’s specific to the 4 posts there but like others she’s been at it for years. 

I.e people would rather not hear from her about it. 

read this 

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

then check out some of the twitter abuse in the screenshot gemmil posted - perhaps i'm missing something but it doesn't add up to me. 

Just now, spongebob toonpants said:

Sex and gender different things

it's undeniable.

as far as i can tell, this is what a lot of the trans mafia and the radical feminists clash over. 

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

True like. You make one little comment about how autistic girls are being tricked into transitioning and suddenly there's a #WeAreNotConfused hashtag full of actual autistic trans people telling you you're wrong, based solely on [checks notes] their own lived experience. Everyone's so sensitive these days.

is that what she said that people lost their minds over? i can see why autistic people who have transitioned and are happy would take offence at that. but it was difficult to tell if that was the scandalous thing she said because the twitter replies i waded through were mainly about why she has a dry stinking cunt.

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is that what she said that people lost their minds over? i can see why autistic people who have transitioned and are happy would take offence at that. but it was difficult to tell if that was the scandalous thing she said because the twitter replies i waded through were mainly about why she has a dry stinking cunt.

Not just that, that was one little comment she made among lots of others. Which goes to explain why the responses have been similarly scattershot and hard for people to get a handle on (the constructive ones, obviously - the outright abuse isn't helpful to anyone).

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

It's a discussion I find very hard to follow. The gay thing is easy, men want to get married then fair enough, lesbians want to adopt then good luck to them.

On the face of it trans issues should be as simple. If you identify as a woman or as a man then crack on.

But Linehan et. al seem to be claiming that lesbians are now being forced to suck dick against their will because of this. I tried reading the JKR essay but five minutes in I guessed I was wasting my time.

Like her books then.

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The 'left wing' Twitter contingent were saying things like that..??

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

On the face of it trans issues should be as simple. If you identify as a woman or as a man then crack on.

no reasonable person would argue otherwise but that isn't what rowling said, as far as i can tell. it's the gender/sex debate - which isn't really up for debate biologically speaking - that i suspect is what has caused so many people to lose their shit.

i might be wrong and would be happy if someone could show me otherwise, but i'm still struggling with what exactly it was that generated the abusive response. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no reasonable person would argue otherwise but that isn't what rowling said, as far as i can tell. it's the gender/sex debate - which isn't really up for debate biologically speaking - that i suspect is what has caused do many people to lose their shit.

i might be wrong and would be happy if someone could show me otherwise, but i'm still struggling with what exactly it was that generated the abusive response. 

Nothing completely outrageous but she does have a history of hating on the trans community.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/12/19/21029874/jk-rowling-transgender-tweet-terf

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Sex and gender different things innit

For what it's worth  my daughter is gay and full on team jk. Lot of men in this thread telling women what to think

48 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm not sure anyone on here has told a woman what to think but okay...

Women thinking. 
Bless. 

:lol:

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nothing completely outrageous but she does have a history of hating on the trans community.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/12/19/21029874/jk-rowling-transgender-tweet-terf

thanks. that was an interesting read. i'm not 100% sure which side oif the debate i'm on. i support trans people and their rights to identify however they like. but rowling isn't wrong about making a distinction between trans women and biological women - is she? 

i'm in danger of coming across as transphobic but i laughed out loud at this line

In one case, Forstater repeatedly misgendered a nonbinary person on Twitter.

i mean, i'm sure that is an offensive thing to do to someone but i'm struggling not to feel like a daily mail reader here  

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

thanks. that was an interesting read. i'm not 100% sure which side oif the debate i'm on. i support trans people and their rights to identify however they like. but rowling isn't wrong about making a distinction between trans women and biological women - is she? 

i'm in danger of coming across as transphobic but i laughed out loud at this line

In one case, Forstater repeatedly misgendered a nonbinary person on Twitter.

i mean, i'm sure that is an offensive thing to do to someone but i'm struggling not to feel like a daily mail reader here  

You're heavily into Jordan Peterson territory here, I would watch yourself or there'll be a public outcry culminating in the BBC sacking you ;)

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You're heavily into Jordan Peterson territory here, I would watch yourself or there'll be a public outcry culminating in the BBC sacking you ;)

I don’t hate women like he does. Just trans women, apparently 

Seems to me to be a contrast between the starting point of saying sex and gender aren't binary or simple which I accept to the rather forceful "trans women ARE women". 

Why isn't "trans women" enough?