General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Bit of both, can't have people taking the law into their own hands like that, in the same way that committing petty crime should not be considered grounds to be shot by police in the US.

At the same time, the amount of words given in that article to the blokes family, painting him as a saint is quite perverse. 

• Like 1

Taking the article at face value it sounds like murder to me. The thieves were fleeing and he killed one of them and crippled the other. Reminds me a bit of the Tony Martin case, I never understood how he got sympathy for shooting a kid in the back. The fact the kid was a thieving gypsie scumbag makes no odds. 

Mr FitzGibbon said it was not, by virtue of his acquittal of murder, a case of deliberate ramming.

This makes no sense, lets reverse it. It was self evidently a case of ramming, therefore it was murder. Thankfully the sentence reflects this any way. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Was just thinking about old Toontaatic meet-ups and the one that really sticks out in my mind is when The Fish turned up to the Trent in a sleeveless denim jacket. 

Did you remember that because it was his most tasteful outfit? 

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ll be very surprised if this ends well- up to 24 people to make a winter attempt on K2. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55341778

It’s a brutal mountain at the best of times, but this is just asking for it. 

Am I right in thinking it’s never been attempted in winter before? (Too fucking lazy to read the article) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not the worlds most dangerous mountain though, despite an insane success/death ratio of close to 20%. Any guesses what is the most dangerous mountain (nee googling). 

Annapurna I think but that is attempted in winter too so that skews things a bit iirc

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Annapurna I think but that is attempted in winter too so that skews things a bit iirc

Aye, think its the avalanche risk so its also mainly random. Some talented climbers have been buried alive on Annapurna. 

Just now, Renton said:

Aye, think its the avalanche risk so its also mainly random. Some talented climbers have been buried alive on Annapurna. 

There’s a bit on K2 near the summit where there’s a wall of seracs where bits regularly break off and crush climbers / cause avalanches. But it’s ‘easiest’ route so people take the calculated risk. The thing is about these mountains compared to Everest is the lack of support if things do go wrong. I also struggle to get my head around people doing it without supplementary oxygen. They’re a different breed. 

The point about K2 in winter, as well as all the points mentioned earlier, is just the ridiculous, energy-sapping cold. 
That’s not even factoring wind-chill, plus the effects of altitude. 

It also mentions that in winter “all the snow will have been blown off it”, which sounds like a good thing, but it’s not. 
It increases the difficulty by a huge amount- where certain parts would be a relatively easy slog up snow fields or “easy” ice climbing, the lack of snow makes these parts way more technical and risky. 
Also, with more rock and ice pitches, the risk from rockfall ( caused by daily freeze/thaw actions), is hugely increased. 

Whilst the above increases the likelihood of accidents, it also makes the possibility of rescue significantly less viable. 

I really hope they manage it- it’d be one the greatest feats of modern mountaineering. 

I also hope that they have the nous to call it a day if things look dicey, but the very fact they’re attempting it tells me their risk aversion doesn’t make this likely. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Just done the Christmas food shop- it was remarkably chilled with no shortages that I could see. 
Still eye-watering at the checkout, but it did include “refreshments”. :lol:

Was in Sainsburys earlier. Bit busier than a normal weekday but nowt too bad tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Just done the Christmas food shop- it was remarkably chilled with no shortages that I could see. 
Still eye-watering at the checkout, but it did include “refreshments”. :lol:

Iceland prawn ring?

• Haha 4