General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Been doing my family history for a bit now.

Uncovered some interesting stuff, tragic stuff, unearthed a few skeletons in the closet, but today I found out something truly horrific.

A great uncle ( by marriage) played for the mackems in 1919-1920.

I wish I'd never started. :lol:

Uncovered some interesting stuff, tragic stuff, unearthed a few skeletons in the closet, but today I found out something truly horrific.

:lol: How'd you go about doing that? Always been interested in it.

:lol: How'd you go about doing that? Always been interested in it.

First step is to get as much information as you can about your parents, grandparents, and great grandparents.

You want names, including maiden names, birth and dates, siblings, children , what they did for a living, where they lived etc.

Get as much as you can by quizzing your parents and grandparents if they are still around.

Then you can take a number of options- the most time consuming option is to visit the record offices where your ancestors lived.

If you've any miners in your family, Durham Mining Museum and Woodhorn have good sites where you can get info.

The other option is to join a genealogy site.

I'm on ancestry.co.uk.

You can search census pages, military records, birth death and marriage registers etc, make your tree and link with other people researching common ancestors.

The most recent full census records available is currently the 1911 one , and all previous ones.

This is why you need as much info as you can initially, to get you back that far.

Birth death and marriage registers are available from 2006 and before.

Ancestry.co.uk. offer a 14 day free trial, which gives you full access.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/default.aspx?o_iid=41025&o_lid=41025&o_sch=Web+Property

Have a crack at it, let me know how you get on and I'll give you any help I can.

My parents are well into all of that. Can't get excited about it, no matter how enthused they are as they tell me how some distant ancestor was at some battle I've never heard of.

I kept reading down and I thought you were going to say he was Jack The Ripper or summik, but this is even worse!!! FFS.

I kept reading down and I thought you were going to say he was Jack The Ripper or summik, but this is even worse!!! FFS.

:lol:

The upside is that he only played for them twice, no goals, from what little info I can gather.

Strangely though, he was on a set of 24 signed postcards of mackem players that was up for auction recently at Bonhams.

Goes without saying that nee fucker bought them. :lol:

He was called John Haggan btw.

The upside is that he only played for them twice, no goals, from what little info I can gather.

Strangely though, he was on a set of 24 signed postcards of mackem players that was up for auction recently at Bonhams.

Goes without saying that nee fucker bought them. :lol:

He was called John Haggan btw.

Leazes might be able to tell you if he was any good.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

He's one of these, but I don't know which is him

http://m.bonhams.com/auctions/18944/lot/343/?page_anchor=ModuleRef2_lot_number%3D343%26ModuleRef2_module_instance_reference%3D2

I emailed Bonhams asking for a copy , they didn't have any but agreed to forward my details to the vendor, I'll wait and see if he gets in touch.

A day off from work - taking my 5 month old dachshound pup for a small trip into the woods - what could possibly go wrong!?!?

Quite alot, it would seem - the bloody thing took off and was spotted 10 miles from my location after a few hours, ended up with me spending the better part of the evening walking 15 miles on foot blowing the little whistle i got from the breeder.

At around midnight the little shit comes running in my backtracks... my balls are freezing and Im sporting a cold.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Just spent 20 minutes in the factory canteen listening to the mackems blether on.

No idea wtf they were saying, just picked out the odd " Yeeauh".

What a filthy accent it is, sounded like a bunch of retarded seagulls.

Just spent 20 minutes in the factory canteen listening to the mackems blether on.

No idea wtf they were saying, just picked out the odd " Yeeauh".

What a filthy accent it is, sounded like a bunch of retarded seagulls.

It's horrible. My skin literally crawls when I here it. The rougher areas you go to the worse it gets.

I used to hate ferrying them from Asda.

Urggggggghhhhhhh!

Hopefully looking for someone whose done a bit of bar work.....

When we got the kitchen done last year we had one of those wine coolers fitted under one of the benches...I know, I know. :lol:

Anyway, we very rarely drink wine in the house so I have now taken it over as a lager cooler. It allows you to set the temperature so I was wondering what temperature the pubs etc usually have these things set at. I know, I know again :lol:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheeky Twat :)

I have quite a posh accent as it happens. A Rose between thorns tbf.

I do however have a brother in law who works in a chicken factory in Sunderland!!!

Can't believe there's more than one!

I call bullshit