General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

FFS, his football correspondent is now telling us that it is certain that England will beat Italy and that they have two of the best keepers in the world in Hart and Butland.

This is exactly the shite that encourages the rest of the British Isles to cheer your failures.

Yes, that sort of shite and the huge chip on your shoulder.

The bitterness towards England from the rest of the British Isles doesn't exist.

My point was about the over hype of your national team by media desperate to whip up some form of patriotic fervour and the inevitable crash and burn that follows. It wasn't a comment about England or the English in general. So maybe you want to have a look at your own chip.

The bitterness towards England from the rest of the British Isles doesn't exist.

My point was about the over hype of your national team by media desperate to whip up some form of patriotic fervour and the inevitable crash and burn that follows. It wasn't a comment about England or the English in general. So maybe you want to have a look at your own chip.

That's bollocks for Euro 2012. The media has been fairly downbeat on England's chances this time round, nobody expected us to do well and we have already exceeded most people's (including the media) low expectations, whatever happens from here is just a bonus.

Using the example of some numpty from the Christian O'Connell is patently nonsense. You need to have a word with yourself for even listening to that in the first place.

They WERE fairly downbeat then Rooney came back and ruined it all with his hype and they jumped onboard with things like

"He-roo returns!" and other bollocks

even chris evans the other morning had me laughing when he said "it was nice we were the underdogs for a change it was going well, we were one of the teams people were happy were there..nice while it lasted"

I really think you are being selective here, I'm pretty sure the majority are happy with the progress we've made and aren't expecting much else.

Anyway, that's by the by, anyone who gets wound up or taken in by the media (particularly given the state our media is in at the moment) and/or celebrity no nowts needs to get some perspective.

Sure it does. If there wasn't bitterness you'd ignore the idiocy of a few media and realise that the majority of the England supporting people think we'll be fortunate to get past Italy, let alone do anything greater.

You know damn well that the Irish media would be whipping up a storm if you'd managed to get out of the group/get a point.

Scotch, Irish and Welshists have no bitterness towards the English team?

I'll take that bullshit and raise you a pile of shite.

No, that's not what I was saying. I was stating that there's no collective bitterness against the country of England or the English.

Generally speaking, everyone else wants to see the England team fail. I'm not sure that bitterness is the correct term, it's not like you have all these trophies to lord over the rest of us. Just a certain sense of satisfaction when you do fail.

No, that's not what I was saying. I was stating that there's no collective bitterness against the country of England or the English.

Generally speaking, everyone else wants to see the England team fail. I'm not sure that bitterness is the correct term, it's not like you have all these trophies to lord over the rest of us. Just a certain sense of satisfaction when you do fail.

Like the mackems towards us?

Aye the Scottish and Irish in particular are glorified Mackems. The Welsh are more Boro

This is in your opinion following your extensive experience of these countries/people?

Look again at my objection to the word 'bitterness'.

So how would you categorise the feelings between the rest of the British Isles towards the English?

You want us to fail and so far the only reason you can give is the behaviour of the press and a minority. Despite the fact you know damn well your press would hype your team if you progressed through the stages.

This is in your opinion following your extensive experience of these countries/people?

Yep. I understand rivalry but the bitterness held towards English football is unreal. I wanted Ireland to qualify and would be with and other British/Irish teams, probably wouldn't grumble if they lost on penos but I certainly wouldn't be taking an 'Anyone but Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland/Wales' stance.

Besides when Scotland beat France away their media was going wild.I presume it might have been the same when Norn Iron beat England?

Maybe it's just that England aren't as inherently classy as the rest of Britain ;).

So how would you categorise the feelings between the rest of the British Isles towards the English?

You want us to fail and so far the only reason you can give is the behaviour of the press and a minority. Despite the fact you know damn well your press would hype your team if you progressed through the stages.

Where have I said that I wanted England to fail?

Where have I said that I wanted England to fail?

You don't count yourself amongst the

Generally speaking, everyone else wants to see the England team fail

I don't.

I watched the match in the pub last night and tbh the shootout defeat was greeted with complete indifference by the entire bar.

So everyone wants England to lose, bar you and all of the people in the pub?

:lol:

It does like. My in laws are Welsh and firmly in the 'anyone but England' camp. Massive chips on their shoulders. I personally would support one of the other home nations if they made the finals and we didn't. Comes from years of being better than the closest rivals. Easy to be bitter when you're in your closest rivals shadow