Radiohead

Hatful Of Hollow

Just wanted to get people's opinions on this band, who I feel are often misunderstood, and dismissed as "music to slash your wrists to".

When you mention Radiohead to most people they'll more than likely think of 'Creep', a song which doesn't show the more creative side of this quintet. From the simple beginnings of 'Pablo Honey' they've become arguably the most creative and thought-provoking band in the UK, their sound has shown progression in every album released.

'Pablo Honey' is an often overlooked album, it is more britpop-driven than subsequent efforts, although it has it's rock moments aswell, and isn't really representitive of Radiohead's true sound. The album's most well-known track is undoubtedly Creep, although the band tend to distance themselves from it. My personal standout tracks are 'You', 'Blow Out' (the acoustic version of this is awesome), 'Thinking About You', and 'Ripcord'.

The band's second album, 'The Bends' showed a massive progression from 'Pablo Honey's more generic offering, the content of the album varied from alternative rock to massive guitar anthems, and also showed Radiohead's first forays into experimentation that would become common-place in their later work. The album has many standout tracks, my top 5 would be - 'High and Dry', 'Just', 'You', 'Fake Plastic Trees', and 'Street Spirit (Fade Out). Street Spirit is probably my favourite track by the band, absolutely awesome.

'OK Computer' is the band's most critically-acclaimed album, and it's not hard to see why, it contains some of their best work, and further continues with the experimentation that began with 'The Bends'. The album had a darker feel to it then previous albums, 'Climbing Up The Walls', 'Karma Police', and 'Lucky' are examples of this, whereas only 'Electioneering' resembled the rockier sound of 'The Bends'. 'Paranoid Android' is the most experimental track on the album, at over 6 minutes long it's the longest track on the album, and has several layers, seeming like several songs rolled into one.

Radiohead's fourth album, 'Kid A', is their best work in my opinion, with their experimentation reaching a new level. 'Kid A' showed a new direction of sound for the band, this led to some critics immediately dismissing it, simply because it wasn't "OK Computer Mark 2". They took influence from the techno-gurus such as Aphex Twin, Autechre and Boards of Canada, and tracks like 'Idioteque', 'How To Disappear Completely', and 'The National Anthem' were different to anything Radiohead had attempted previously. This album is an example of why I feel Radiohead are the most important band in the UK, and have been for several years, not many bands could have changed their general sound so dramatically. I would use Oasis (sorry Jonny) as an example of this, they tried to change their sound with the release of 'Be Here Now', but that album was an overdrawn, disappointing affair. Standout tracks from Kid A - 'Optimistic', 'The National Anthem', 'Idioteque', and the beautiful 'How To Disappear Completely'.

'Amnesiac' represents Radiohead's most disappointing album, in which the band's previous experimentation continued, but lacked something special that 'Kid A' had. It also has some of the band's darkest moments, these include the only two standout tracks from the album; 'Knives Out', and 'Pyramid Song', apart from these two I really struggle to find tracks which I like. Every band has moments which they would rather forget, and I feel 'Amnesiac' is Radioheads.

After the slight let-down of the previous album, 'Hail To The Thief' showed a rapid return to form, showing elements of the band's previous sucesses. '2 + 2=5' is a rock-driven anthem that bursts into life, 'Sail To The Moon' is a another of Radiohead's beautiful tracks, 'The Gloaming' and 'Myxamotosis' show their experimental side once again. I would class this as neither Radiohead's best or worst work, it certainly isn't a bad album considering it's their 5th release.

How I view their albums:

1. Kid A

2. The Bends

3. OK Computer

4. Hail To the Thief

5. Amnesiac

In my view there's not many bands that can match the originally and creativeness of Radioead, and I feel they are the best act to come out of this country in 15 years. I know a lot of you will disagree with that statement, but that's what forums are for.

So then, how do you view Radiohead?

Edited by Hatful Of Hollow

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge radiohead fan but i do like them, and i do agree with you that kid a is the best album they have done. Probably because that is closest in style to the stuff i listen to mostly these days. The other albums are all alright but not as good. There are bits of ok computer i like and random songs i think are great (exit music for a film, street spirit).

As a live act they are great. They were one of the highlights of glasto 2003 when i saw them there.

You know I'm a fan Gary son. :lol:

*Edit actually mate Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants they really revamped their sound, Be Here Now is very underrated just because the first two were so good. :razz:

Edited by Jonny2J

Excellent analysis there young grasshopper.

I love a bit of the 'head. I've enjoyed every album more than the previous effort (with the exception of Amnesiac which seemed more of an out take album from the Kid A sessions).

Hail to the thief was qualitee. Apart from the tracks you mention, A Punch Up At A Wedding (No No No No No No No No) was class and Go To Sleep (Little Man Being Erased) is one of my favourite tracks they've ever done.

OK computer gets all the praise though. Not unreasonable. I've always seen Paranoid Android as the Bohemian Rhapsody of my generation. Fucking genius.

Edited by Happy Face

I'm a bit of a cliche Radiohead wise - I love Pablo Honey and The Bends but think they started to disappear up their own arses with Ok Computer and made it all the way with Kid A and the rest.

Being a "No guitar, no good" type music fan I think a band who are so fantastic to "betray" their sound and become knob twiddlers is probably worse than someone who just never had it like a pop group or something.

I think interviews around the time of Kid A are revealing when they said they almost decided to release that under a pseudonym to see how it did - I think it would have bombed without the "emperors new clothes" effect of the fans who insist its genius.

I have The Bends and OK Computer and find them both great albums.

They are a bit misunderstood I feel, and I hate the term "music to slit your wrists to" - I don't see how they're so depressing.

You could say Paranoid Android is the Bohemian Rhapsody of this generation, but with the exception it's an excellent song, and I personally think Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated pretentious rubbish.

Personally I could never see the fuss about them, one or two tracks stood out for me, Creep and Just, but apart from that you can take it or leave it.

I always had a feeling that the media had an "emporers new clothes" thing going on with Radiohead, none of them seemed brave enough to admit its shit !

Every band has moments which they would rather forget, and I feel 'Amnesiac' is Radioheads.

:lol:

Anyway, I rate the first 3 albums, especially the Bends and OK Computer. I can't get into the rest of their stuff, and personally think Kid A is pretty awful to listen to (got it on now just to check - still don't like it). A good band, an influential band, but not the best act of the last 15 years. Nowhere near in fact.

I'm a bit of a cliche Radiohead wise - I love Pablo Honey and The Bends but think they started to disappear up their own arses  with Ok Computer and made it all the way with Kid A and the rest.

Being a "No guitar, no good" type music fan I think a band who are so fantastic to "betray" their sound and become knob twiddlers is probably worse than someone who just never had it like a pop group or something.

I think interviews around the time of Kid A are revealing when they said they almost decided to release that under a pseudonym to see how it did - I think it would have bombed without the "emperors new clothes" effect of the fans who insist its genius.

138716[/snapback]

I agree with of all of that. The Bends is still my favourite Radiohead album by far.

Edited by Bombadil

138716[/snapback]

Nowt worse than a band stagnating. Rehashing the stuff that was popular, scared to just do what they want because they have to cater to their demographic. I look at Oasis and see what Radiohead could have become. I thank christ they didn't.

138716[/snapback]

Nowt worse than a band stagnating. Rehashing the stuff that was popular, scared to just do what they want because they have to cater to their demographic. I look at Oasis and see what Radiohead could have become. I thank christ they didn't.

138832[/snapback]

I'd like to have seen Oasis release their 3rd album onwards under an alias and see what critics and fans thought of them without the name Oasis and the first 2 albums to affect opinions.

Anyone seriously think the music world would have batted an eyelid at those albums without the Oasis hype and reputation colouring peoples views.

138716[/snapback]

138832[/snapback]

I'd like to have seen Oasis release their 3rd album onwards under an alias and see what critics and fans thought of them without the name Oasis and the first 2 albums to affect opinions.

Anyone seriously think the music world would have batted an eyelid at those albums without the Oasis hype and reputation colouring peoples views.

138836[/snapback]

Good point but I've always thought all Oasis albums are the same (not like that) in that they all have 4 perhaps 5 cracking songs and a lot of "Meh" type ones - and I include the "classic" first two in that.

I think a band can evolve without doing a "Radiohead" though - U2 for example have tried different things (some of which I quite frankly hate) while maintaining a core style and overall quality (imo).

I just felt that Radiohead were a bit too "bloody-minded" in the way they changed. I know they will claim they made music they wanted to but I also remember them saying that they specifically didn't want to be a "U2, biggest band on the planet" type deal which they were heading for. Another remark I recall referred to "3 frustrated guitarists" in the band which again suggests they went out of their way to go against the grain.

I'm sure there are people who love the Kid A and the rest stuff but I feel a lot of their fans feel to obliged to listen to it in the name of "eclectic" music taste.

I haven't got tickets for V this year as the lineup is poor imo but I may change my mind and see Radiohead as I think live they are more like their old selves.

Talking of wrist slitting one of my main memories of Radiohead was after the Chelsea semi in 2000 when I took the huff and went home straight from Wembley and was in the house for 6:45. I switched on MTV2 and Fake Plastic Trees was on - I remember it causing a depressed tear or two and thinking it summed up following NUFC - at once soul-lifting glory and ultimate sadness.

Edited by NJS

I think OK Computer is a modern masterpiece, and will stand the test of time. The Bends is a classic rock album and theres not a bad song on it. Pablo Honey is hit and miss. From Kid A i feel that the albums all seem to join together. OK Computer is one of the best albums in the last 10 years imo

• 11 months later...

have all the albums and would have to say that pablo honey and amnesiac are my least favourite. Have to agree with the majority of what you have wrote, especially about"how to dissapear completely", absolutley classic track. I think my taste in music has changed alot over the past few years anyway, and after listening to all the albums Kid A has to be my favourite, which is strange as the bends and ok computer have both been my all time favourite album at some point. Cant wait for the new stuff to come out in the near future, there are a few tracks that can be heard on youtube, have a look for "videotape", absolutley cracking tune. Take a look at "down is the new up", thats also promising to be a good track in a new musical direction they are looking to take.

I find with Radiohead if you're a fan, you absolutely adore them. I quite like them, nothing much more. Got some quality songs like, but a lot of nothingless stuff.

Liked Pablo Honey

Liked The Bends

Liked OK Computer

Disappointed with Kid A

Hated Amnesiac

Hated Hail To The Thief

I don't mind that they decided to go a bit more experimental, I just don't like it.

Its quite obviously:

OK computer

Hail To The Thief

Kid A

Amnesiac

The Bends

Pablo Honey

Radiohead are my fave band ever.

I have too much to say at such a late hour, but if i spot this thread again i will write more.

p.s. oasis are shit =P

I find with Radiohead if you're a fan, you absolutely adore them. I quite like them, nothing much more. Got some quality songs like, but a lot of nothingless stuff.

pretty much what i was going to say.

they are all however technically really good musicians from what i've seen of them.. and i can't beleive the cmparison to oasis...

Saw a great documentary on the pixies on the weekend and the praise Thom and Jonny placed on them and their influence on Radiohead's work was interesting. The funniest thing was Jonny said the reason they moved away from guitars is because they couldn't steal anymore sounds from the pixies.