Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

You seem incapable of understanding that comedy is performed in different places to different rules

there you go again :lol:

You're right, I dont understand a lot of things about it. I dont understand why you simultanelously hold the rights to full attention, good standards of behaviour and respect from the audience then piss your pants when you dont get it or someone claims that one of your gags is offensive,and where the only defence you feel justified in giving id "its only a joke, dont get too upset". You're right. I dont understand that.

Edited by PaddockLad

there you go again :lol:

You're right, I dont understand a lot of things about it. I dont understand why you simultanelously hold the rights to full attention, good standards of behaviour and respect from the audience then piss your pants when you dont get it or someone claims that one of your gags is offensive,and where the only defence you feel justified in giving id "its only a joke, dont get too upset". You're right. I dont understand that.

It's fairly simple. Comedy isn't something for the background, it's to be attended to. It's the same as the cinema, the theatre. You can get drunk in a theatre and you'll soon be ejected if you're ignorant enough to chatter away.

Also, your logic is screwed, you're saying a comedian may ask for your attention, but he mustn't be annoyed if he doesn't get it? given (even in your example) the majority of the crowd pay attention why should two idiot have free rein to have a natter? It must be awful when you go out for a chat and some arseholes build a comedy club around you.

It's fairly simple. Comedy isn't something for the background, it's to be attended to. It's the same as the cinema, the theatre. You can get drunk in a theatre and you'll soon be ejected if you're ignorant enough to chatter away.

Also, your logic is screwed, you're saying a comedian may ask for your attention, but he mustn't be annoyed if he doesn't get it? given (even in your example) the majority of the crowd pay attention why should two idiot have free rein to have a natter? It must be awful when you go out for a chat and some arseholes build a comedy club around you.

because its a free country? :lol:

I dunno, are all comics control freaks or something?...

because its a free country? :lol:

I dunno, are all comics control freaks or something?...

It is a free country, but your right to talk doesn't supersede my right to listen to what I've paid for. Tell you what, the best thing I can think is if you want to go to a Comedy Club and chat, you should pay every member of the audience that doesn't It's only fair. :lol:

Going to see Stewart Lee later in the year at Leicester Square Theatre - never seen him live - anyone here been?

Saw him do 20-25 minutes as part of a charity gig a couple of months ago and he was basically as expected - rolled out some incredibly old material and some stuff pretty much based on that day's events that he was fumbling his way through, but he's one of the most capable fumblers you could watch. Basically charmed the pants off a very mixed audience, which was quite impressive given the bill included Jo Brand and that kid who's on Britain's Got Talent at the minute. :lol: Anyway it'll be different when he's doing a full show, obviously, but I was quite impressed at how he manages to maintain exactly his TV persona while still winning over an audience that's far from onside.

I find a good 90% of comedians are about as funny as AIDS.

Just out of interest, who do you find funny?

The trouble is that the comedians on TV represent about 1% of the comedians on the circuit.

And that 1% are those that have the right face/skinny jeans/hair cut for tv, those that are tv-safe, those that are shit.

Just out of interest, who do you find funny?

And that 1% are those that have the right face/skinny jeans/hair cut for tv, those that are tv-safe, those that are shit.

Yep

Funny comedians you should see but probably haven't heard of.

Scott Agnew, John Fothergill, John Scott, Silky, Andrew White, Vladimir McTavish, Alan Anderson, Steve Drayton, John Gavin, Seymour Mace, Steffen Peddie I would add Gav Webster but I think you may have heard of him.

Yep

Funny comedians you should see but probably haven't heard of.

Scott Agnew, John Fothergill, John Scott, Silky, Andrew White, Vladimir McTavish, Alan Anderson, Steve Drayton, John Gavin, Seymour Mace, Steffen Peddie I would add Gav Webster but I think you may have heard of him.

Yeah, I know of most of them, (and am actually good mates with a couple). There's a young lad from Liverpool that I rate that you should check out; Ste Porter.

Which ones you mates with.

Silky is a proper mate & Seymour Mace and I have met a fair few times, but I suppose it would exaggerating to say we were "good" mates

He's decent. struggle to catch some of it, but I reckon that's more to do with the recording than him. Liked that he seemed to be losing the crowd when he mentioned he was gay, but brought it back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...