Parents (or youngens) do you smack

bobbyshinton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wor young un's only 20 months old so I've not had much call to discipline her too much so far.

I've slapped her hands (lightly) a couple of times when she's kept trying to grab things that she shouldn't. I think it is necessary at times as long as you don't go too far.

I expect wor lass would do it more than me though because I'd be too scared to hurting her with my super man strength.

Isn't there a programme on about this tonight (or soon anyway) I saw a clip this morning of a woman who follows her son around with a fly swat to whack him with if he misbehaves. He'd taken to locking himself in rooms :gay:

I used to get a clip off my mam if I was acting myself. Never did me any harm. Too much bollocks about these days about it being child abuse and that, whilst the kids run riot. A well-timed clip would soon get some of those little horrors on SuperNanny back in line. :gay:

If I did something naughty when I was a bairn I got a clip for it....simple as. It hurt, you remembered it and you didn't do it again. All these Supernanny types advocating a minute for each year of the childs life on the "naughty step" ....does it work ??

I've never laid a hand on any of my 3 kids, I've always done my utmost to instil discipline, manners and respect to my kids and I'd be disappointed in myself if I ever resorted to hitting any of them.

I've never laid a hand on any of my 3 kids, I've always done my utmost to instil discipline, manners and respect to my kids and I'd be disappointed in myself if I ever resorted to hitting any of them.

Ditto!

I was often 'clipped' by my Dad, deservedly so most of the time although sometimes I felt it was a bit over the top but I thought from an early age that there has to be a better way of disciplining and teaching respect and so far, I've never come close to even wanting to raise my hand to them.

I'll give a quick slap upside the head when my lads act up, but it's always after a verbal warning. Each has been raised to respect others and to mind themselves in an appropriate manner. If they choose to go against what they've been taught then they'll get a reminder.Simple as. Sometimes it's necessary, and it's a definite shite part of being a parent but I'd rather you think less of me for giving my son a brainduster when he acts up as a child than to have him be an american equivalent of a chav/hooligan.

Would like to think I wouldn't but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Think the government are barking up the wrong tree by trying to ban it. Nanny State at its worst imo.

Ditto!

I was often 'clipped' by my Dad, deservedly so most of the time although sometimes I felt it was a bit over the top but I thought from an early age that there has to be a better way of disciplining and teaching respect and so far, I've never come close to even wanting to raise my hand to them.

I'm not a parent and that's fair enough if you've got kids that do respect what you've got to say etc. But I wouldn't hesitate to lay the smacketh down if the situation called for it. :gay: I fucking HATE watching shows like Supernanny cos I just want to climb through the telly and bat the little fuckers.

Make no mistake, that stupid bitch does my fucking head in! But then again there's no way in hell I'd invite her into my house to show me how to deal with my kids.

The way she speaks to some of the kids is appalling - and then she wonders why some rebel and tell her to fuck off?

Ditto!

I'm not a parent and that's fair enough if you've got kids that do respect what you've got to say etc. But I wouldn't hesitate to lay the smacketh down if the situation called for it. :gay: I fucking HATE watching shows like Supernanny cos I just want to climb through the telly and bat the little fuckers.

spare the rod spoil the child I say

The missus however...well this is her field of expertise. We've had this discussion before and she makes the point that smacking is just the parent taking out their frustration on the child, which I suppose is true.

Some of the things my my mam did would probably get her arrested. She once caught me sticking bits of paper into the gas fire. She gave me a clip and shoved my hand in. When Ive brought it up she just says " Well you never did it again" as her justification <_<

Yes Mam I didnt, but I now have a right hand like a crabs claw and cant go within 6 foot of an open fire without bursting into tears and pissing myself

Ditto!

spare the rod spoil the child I say

Agreed

Although I don't clout my kids, they get punished suitably if they step out of line.

Yes Mam I didnt, but I now have a right hand like a crabs claw and cant go within 6 foot of an open fire without bursting into tears and pissing myself

:gay:<_< Proper parenting!

I'm pro-choice, it should be in a parents arsenal, but a last straw. I agree about the frustration bit.

Its smacked mine on the hands if they were going to do something dangerous when they were too young to understand verbal warnings.

It is inexcusable to smack them out of temper, that is just losing control and setting a terrible example.

Smacking as a punishment is an abdication of resbonsibility, there are plenty ways of punishing a child.

I smacked my boy for something(I cant remember what) when he was a toddler. I immediately felt terrible about it, realised it was a mistake and never did it again. Hitting children is wrong

Kid's not getting clipped is whats wrong with society today imo, a sharp smack never hurt anyone. My daughter is going on five and she's been clipped twice, not excessively but firmly, now i just raise my voice and jobs done.

Explained to her on both occassions why i smacked her and she agreed she'd been out of order.

It is a hard one to call because I've seen kids in supermarkets getting the hiding of their lives and i agree it's not right and imo they become immune to the slapping and it becomes normal behaviour for them which isn't natural but the odd clip works wonders if it's done right.

Anyone remember ya Mam holding you by the arm, while you do the hiawatha style dance round her so she couldnt slap ya legs :gay:

Ohhhhh yes. I also remember there being a clearly defined hand print on the back of my legs once which I kept looking at whilst looking extremely badly done to in order to make my mother feel guilty. I don't think it worked. <_<

I aint got kids, so Im not sure how Id react. Im not against smacking (light smack, not thrashing :gay: ). As a kid, I used to get the odd smack, just enough to let me know Id gone over that line.

Worst I got was probably at school. In first school I was smacked on the hand with a ruler for having untody hand writing. Yes and she hit the hand I wrote with ...

In High school a particular teacher used to get you up in front of class and embarrass you as well as hitting you with a ruler, usually on the hand, while the rest of the class pissed themselves.

I don't smack my boy because it's too easy.

A punishment has to stop them from whining out of self-pity and make them think. Smacking just lets them away with things far too easily.

I take away his mystery machine(scooby doo van) and lock his favourite kids channels on the box. That usually makes him think.

The threat of a clip was always enough for me as a kid. My Mum once took the 'i'll wash your mouth out with soap and water' to a literal level though - I didn't do it again! :gay:

Looking back they aways used the threat of no Christmas presents too, like Monster says, that made me think.

Edited by nufc4ever

Absolutely. I was never smacked and I'm vehemently against it. I don't have children, but if I do have them I won't smack them.

Aye, they all say that.

Just wait until the little brat is drawing on your walls, shiting on your sofa and telling your parents to "fuck off you old cnuts!"

You'll be doing all sorts of things your parents did to you but you swore you'd never inflict on your own kids....