What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

56 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

New drummer is good at least 

Has he not seen Spinal Tap? 
Grohl has a terrible record with band mates and the whole staying alive bit. 
And now the dragging a talentless lass in to the band bit too. 
He’s only a hefty hockle away from Stonehenge too- I’d be shiting it if I was him. 

( I bet Grohl has 11 on his amps)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

On a mildly-related note, I had this on the other day and my daughter asked which album it was from. 
When I told she looked puzzled- she thought it was Foo Fighters. 

She has a point, mind. 

FF have always been distinctly average…at least Doves haven’t been flogging a dead horse for 20+ years :cuppa:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

FF have always been distinctly average…at least Doves haven’t been flogging a dead horse for 20+ years :cuppa:

Aye, don’t get me wrong, I really like a lot of the stuff Doves have done. Lost Souls particularly, but once Ms. F. pointed out the similarity, (and I think it’s just that one song), I couldn’t help but notice :lol:

Unlike @PaddockLad's huge disco vinyl buying weekend, I got a boxset of Dorothy Ashby's work. Ms Ashby, believe it or not was a 1950-80s jazz harpist, so an African American woman who played a classical instrument as a jazz musician - fuck me that must have been a tough gig.

But her work is amazing and well worth disappearing down a hole to find. This was her sixth album as a band leader, released in 1965.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sammynb said:

Unlike @PaddockLad's huge disco vinyl buying weekend, I got a boxset of Dorothy Ashby's work. Ms Ashby, believe it or not was a 1950-80s jazz harpist, so an African American woman who played a classical instrument as a jazz musician - fuck me that must have been a tough gig.

But her work is amazing and well worth disappearing down a hole to find. This was her sixth album as a band leader, released in 1965.

tumblr_pg1trf11qs1rpduwho1_500.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, sammynb said:

That’s not bad mate, reminds me a bit of of my old man’s favourites George Shearing & Oscar Peterson ☺️

Anyway, talking of Disco, when was the last time you saw a gatefold like this??  🕺😀

IMG_2221.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

That’s not bad mate, reminds me a bit of of my old man’s favourites George Shearing & Oscar Peterson ☺️

Anyway, talking of Disco, when was the last time you saw a gatefold like this??  🕺😀

IMG_2221.jpeg

This was designed specially with this perspective to make Verdine White’s fivehead look relatively normal. 

Didn’t work :lol:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I believe congratulations are in order, as that is somehow even worse than the stuff you usually post. :lol:

10 hours ago, The Fish said:

jazz music GIF

Well, that's it I quit, as I've just been schooled by two of the greatest musical opinions ever!

Maybe I should ask what records I should buy so I have the complete collection?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

Well, that's it I quit, as I've just been schooled by two of the greatest musical opinions ever!

Maybe I should ask what records I should buy so I have the complete collection?

image.jpeg.af14c6af324c3a0e1cd2a6d93ccc3678.jpeg

:smile:

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

5 hours ago, sammynb said:

They were fucking terrible after Kevin left for football.

Now Bucks Fizz!

Were shite also!

When did you make your mind up about that? 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else signed up to the latest 65Daysofstatic Patreon dedicated to the 10th anniversary of their release Wild Light?

Facinating stuff, weekly they post a song (which is also downloadable) that was written or at least got to a point of possibly being a song but didn't make the finshed release album plus there is a great blog posting to accompany it, talking about the writing process and either why it didn't make the album and if parts of the song ended up elsewhere.

Here's the actual album that was released for anyone who doesn't know 65Days.

Put “ Discover Station” on today whilst out killing hookers, and it threw up this little gem amongst others. 

If you like any of ;

Neil Young

Wish You Were Here era David Gilmour 

Rumours era Fleetwood Mac

and a few other 70s rock types who I can’t quite pick out yet, you’ll probably like it. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Put “ Discover Station” on today whilst out killing hookers, and it threw up this little gem amongst others. 

If you like any of ;

Neil Young

Wish You Were Here era David Gilmour 

Rumours era Fleetwood Mac

and a few other 70s rock types who I can’t quite pick out yet, you’ll probably like it. 

Guitars sound like Gilmour if he’d spent 6 months smoking gear in an Alabama swamp :D really good mate :good: 

Psyching myself up to get tickets for this on Thursday @ 10…. never seen them before and they’re playing 10 mins away

😍

IMG_2434.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You sure this guy isn't Neil Young's illegitimate child?

@PaddockLad no not ginger fucking Josh! There is just something about Joshy boy and QOTSA that doesn't sit right. Maybe how he tried to turn Brody Dalle into the new Stevie Nicks??? Or the fact he's just a wanker? He's probably a great guy - hope it's a decent show because no doubt tickets are expensive.

Anyway this:

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 13:23, PaddockLad said:

Psyching myself up to get tickets for this on Thursday @ 10…. never seen them before and they’re playing 10 mins away

😍

IMG_2434.png

I have tickets to see them in October!