What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

So, I’m pretty partial to dirty roadhouse blues type bands, particularly two piece affairs that just do what they do fantastically. 
I’m 100% sure I’ve already mentioned two of my favourite exponents of this filth-ridden branch of blues- Left Lane Cruiser and Black Diamond Heavies. 

I was ridiculously pleased to find a Left Lane Cruiser track where they have the creative force of Black Diamond Heavies, James Leg, on backing keyboards. 

Here it is, nowt particularly ground-breaking or new, but by fuck they do what they do really well. 

For reference, this is James Leg’s band Black Diamond Heavies, doing my favourite track of theirs. 

• Like 2

Aye, he was a big influence on the early Black Keys. 

speaking of which, this cover of theirs of a Junior Kimbrough track is an all time favourite of mine. 

Black Keys are a funny one for me, the early stuff was great and they still come out with the occasional bit of gold but most of their stuff for the last 10/15 years is a boring version of their earlier selves, imho.

Anyway Fist, here's your new favourite track featuring R.L, this is my ringtone for my missus!

• Like 1

I was digging around in the North American section of my vinyl collection, yes alphabetical by continent, fuck knows why?

And I found this gem, pre grunge grunge, my version is a 12"EP on wax trax, so pre this album, recorded by Steve Albinil

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

@Monkeys Fist you ever get into R.L. Burnside?

He did this great album with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

I got one of his albums years ago, recommended by someone on the SMB of all places. 

• Like 2

Burnside learned his trade from the travelling wearside bluesman, Peytar “Six Fingers” Hilton. 
Six Fingers also taught Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, who all went on to be huge MLFs. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I got one of his albums years ago, recommended by someone on the SMB of all places. 

Unlike their football team, there are a couple of decent MLF bands, Leatherface and Retriever. come to mind. Although I think Neil Tennant comes from the SMB side of North Shields, no?

On 15/01/2024 at 13:22, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Sorry, just remembered to reply to this. Whenever I see a band like this, I wonder which member has a high-ranking music executive parent but they’re not bad tbf. And aye, I can hear the similarities 

They supported the rolling stones a Hyde Park before releasing any music & all studied classical music in london. 

Still, manufactured or not I suppose its a change from moustachioed pseudo post punk which seems to account for the rest of the music scene.

43 minutes ago, Tom said:

They supported the rolling stones a Hyde Park before releasing any music & all studied classical music in london. 

Still, manufactured or not I suppose its a change from moustachioed pseudo post punk which seems to account for the rest of the music scene.

Tag @sammynb next time

18 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The whole concert is here if you’ve never seen it. 

I can’t imagine this happening today :lol:

The cheers when he sings "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" :lol: 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sonatine said:

The cheers when he sings "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" :lol: 

One of the greatest lines ever committed to song in the history of popular music :lol: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

❤️ For all TT lovers this valentines lunchtime :D 

This Mortal Coil did what is easily my favourite version of this. 

Also one of the few songs where you can make out more than three words from Wor Lizzy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

❤️ For all TT lovers this valentines lunchtime :D 

Btw I’ll be strutting in to the Love Parlour tonight in my silk kimono, leopard skin thong, with a pot of lube and this below blasting out. :lol:

• Haha 2