What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Futureheads - Eponymous

I'm not sure this fabulous debut entirely got it's due. Alongside Maximo Park and southerners Bloc Party they've for me pretty much cornered the market in post punk/ new wave Gang of Four/Talking Heads etc copyism. They've eeked out a whole genre or rather sub-genre for themselves. The mighty triumvirate I like to call them. Far better than the much heralded likes of Franz Ferdinand et al. Listen again to the three debuts of the bands I mention, then listen to either Franz Ferdy album and see if I'm not right. Of course we could just put it down to taste but that's just a dull cop out and we both know it. You know I'm right.

blink-182 - The Rock Show

J.D. Blackfoot - We Can Try

Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia

Chris Farlowe - I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself

dredg - Hung Over On A Tuesday

The Dave Clark Five - Everybody Knows

Chicken Shack - I´d Rather Go Blind

American Hi-Fi - Maybe Won't Do

Billionaires Boys Club - No Time to Sleep

Futureheads - Eponymous

I'm not sure this fabulous debut entirely got it's due. Alongside Maximo Park and southerners Bloc Party they've for me pretty much cornered the market in post punk/ new wave Gang of Four/Talking Heads etc copyism. They've eeked out a whole genre or rather sub-genre for themselves. The mighty triumvirate I like to call them. Far better than the much heralded likes of Franz Ferdinand et al. Listen again to the three debuts of the bands I mention, then listen to either Franz Ferdy album and see if I'm not right. Of course we could just put it down to taste but that's just a dull cop out and we both know it. You know I'm right.

66044[/snapback]

You're wrong but your prose makes up for it.

Futureheads - Eponymous

66044[/snapback]

66114[/snapback]

Silent Alarm is better than both FF albums but The Futureheads isn't. Decent Days and Nights is a hell of a song and Hounds Of Love isn't a terrible song (certainly not the song of the year as NME would have you believe) but it's not a great album and I found some of it rather embarassing.

Haven't got round to listening to A Certain Trigger yet but it's on my to listen to list for this year along wilth Kate Bush and Kanye West.

Futureheads - Eponymous

66044[/snapback]

66114[/snapback]

Silent Alarm is better than both FF albums but The Futureheads isn't. Decent Days and Nights is a hell of a song and Hounds Of Love isn't a terrible song (certainly not the song of the year as NME would have you believe) but it's not a great album and I found some of it rather embarassing.

Haven't got round to listening to A Certain Trigger yet but it's on my to listen to list for this year along wilth Kate Bush and Kanye West.

66157[/snapback]

I'm not a big FF fan, but because they do quality pop more unashamedly than the rest they're the best of that lot by a long way, followed by Kaiser Chiefs. Stuff you can get your dancing shoes on for (pre-emptive :lol: to save Gemmill time).

Bloc Party, Maximo Park (who I'm going to see tomorrow ;) ) Futureheads, DDIHC, Razorlight, Hot Hot Heat, The Rakes and the rest are all much of a muchness (is that a valid term? :lol: ).

I like the Kaiser Chiefs album too but thats a bit different, a lot of it sounds to me like brit-pop era Pulp or Blur.

66171[/snapback]

I like the Kaiser Chiefs album as well; in fact it's one of the only albums I like out of all these new bands that all sound exactly the same to me. Starting to get a bit sick of the singles though as, in true Killers style, they're being overplayed.

I am *still* listening to the new Dream Theater album. Reeeeally like it.