What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

One of a few terrific new bands from the New York area (see also: Home Blitz and Household), Parquet Courts have produced a debut that's both instantly addictive and lastingly rewarding: a smart, snappy concoction of worldly wisdom and garage-rock gratification. Echoes of the Modern Lovers and the Feelies can be heard in their tightrope walk between two-chord fundamentals and lively detail, while Austin Brown and Andrew Savage's narratives run the personal, political and philosophical gamut in a similar way to that which made Eddy Current Suppression Ring so special. From Borrowed Time's zippy lament on boredom and inspiration to Stoned and Starving's improbably poetic lunch hunt, it's an ultra-catchy, sharp-witted marvel throughout. After a limited US release, it's getting a wider launch from the label that also picked up superpowered soul-punks Royal Headache's wildly great debut recently. Don't miss either of them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/10/parquet-courts-light-up-review

been caining the beatles this week. i'm not sure i could pick one of their tracks as my favourite, yet alone come up with a top ten. so many classic tunes.

I'd never heard of them until a couple of days ago - I've only just realised they are Munchers of the Wurst und Kraut.

What I've heard seems quality :good:

Aye, they're playing down in London at Desert Fest at the end of April, which is full of similar kinds of stuff (although most of it is a bit heavier)

http://thedesertfest...london/line-up/

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Steve Mason's new album .

Get it down y's .

Will do, ta.

Cult of Luna's sound has progressed from early material being heavily doom metal influenced to one much less aggressive and more concerned with orchestration. Fans and critics have termed this sound post-metal. The band is considered to be at the forefront of the genre, along with contemporary proponents Neurosis and Isis.

Its songs are often long, slow, repetitive and crushing, heavy sections of distorted guitars often interspersed with orchestral interludes and extended, post-rock-esque forays. The group shuns conventional song structures, opting for a sound that evolves throughout a song, sometimes toward a climactic crescendo, instead of a verse-chorus-verse pattern. That style, incorporating sections of "light and dark" into their music, has led to comparisons with contemporaries such as Isis (with whom they have toured), Callisto and Pelican, as well as the significantly older Neurosis. Former singer Klas Rydberg, however, has stated that decidedly Radiohead are an influence. Lately the band as well as their contemporaries have been heavily influenced by Mogwai, particularly the use of guitar delay and melodic guitar playing