What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

this album is from 1967; 10 years before The Police formed.

you're confused

I'm well aware, Gene, darling. I've heard more music from the late 1960s than is probably healthy. The S/T is from 66 btw, you're thinking of 5000 Spirits.

Still on a 2013 listening binge:

Autre ne Veut - Anxiety: Think this could be up Chez' street; very good pop music and very 80s without falling into the trap of ripping off the Drive soundtrack.

Inc. - No World: Reminds me of The Weeknd's more stripped-back moments. An excellent midnight album.

Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold: Brilliant. Reminds me of Sonic Youth, New York Dolls, X and The Ramones. Some very tight songwriting.

Villagers - Awayland: Irish indie-folk but with some interesting production choices and times where it threatens to get too bombastic for its own good. Worth a listen for the more simplistic tracks; the man is capable of writing some good stuff.

Didn't like A$AP Rocky and yet to listen to the EL-P and Killer Mike's album but is there any hip-hop I should be adding to my list?

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Didn't like A$AP Rocky and yet to listen to the EL-P and Killer Mike's album but is there any hip-hop I should be adding to my list?

Jay z and kanye west albums are the same old stuff.

Tyler the creator was a let down.

The ghostface killah album is up there with his best though. An Italian mafia story concept album inspired by the music of ennio morricone. The instrumental album is as good as the one with vocals.

Just hoyed it on. The falsetto at the end of Gonna Die man :lol: It's top bombing.

I feel like Play by Play should be massive by now. It's one of those songs that has a good enough catchy chorus to really break out.

Jay z and kanye west albums are the same old stuff.

I like Kanye's but feel there's parts of it that seem rushed, or certainly in need of a rewrite. Wouldn't think it's the same old; I can't think of anything he's done with such industrial sounding drums, for instance. First albums had the soul kits, 808s with drum machines and the African drumming on Love Lockdown then MBDTF was all over the place. I definitely think Yeezus is better than Watch The Throne and Cruel Summer.

I feel like Play by Play should be massive by now. It's one of those songs that has a good enough catchy chorus to really break out.

I like Kanye's but feel there's parts of it that seem rushed, or certainly in need of a rewrite. Wouldn't think it's the same old; I can't think of anything he's done with such industrial sounding drums, for instance. First albums had the soul kits, 808s with drum machines and the African drumming on Love Lockdown then MBDTF was all over the place. I definitely think Yeezus is better than Watch The Throne and Cruel Summer.

In my 'review' earlier I think I said similar.

His production and sampling can be to notch.. But his lyrics/flow are dire. They also tend to be scant too. The fact he still used auto tune despite the lessons of 808 grates on me anarl. In comparison to a free album like Run The Jewels where it's an almost constant barrage of clever/funny lines...along with some superb production... it totally suffers. I make the point RTJ is free because far more care, attention and hard work seems to have gone into it.... despite the hype around Yeezus as being some sort of 'event'.

But I know you haven't listened to that yet... Get on it :)

Verses like this flay me...

I'm a soldier of fortune, a mercenary on beats

I'm merciless, I'll torture emcees, tie up both of they feet

If they refuse to run the jewels we'll beat the bottoms of feet

I'm talking grip pliers guys to the top of your teeth

Me and Jaime killed the competition, top of the heat

Is where we staying when they corpses resting under our feet

I sent they mom a little cash and a sympathy letter

Told her she raised a bunch a fuck boys

Next time do better

Bitch

Perfectly formed rap braggadocio.

In my 'review' earlier I think I said similar.

His production and sampling can be to notch.. But his lyrics/flow are dire. They also tend to be scant too. The fact he still used auto tune despite the lessons of 808 grates on me anarl. In comparison to a free album like Run The Jewels where it's an almost constant barrage of clever/funny lines...along with some superb production... it totally suffers. I make the point RTJ is free because far more care, attention and hard work seems to have gone into it.... despite the hype around Yeezus as being some sort of 'event'.

Agree about his lyrics and flow like; the latter of which has suffered as he tries to shoehorn more stupid lyrics in. There's definitely people out there who will love the "sweet and sour sauce" line, for instance, so he'll persist. Pushed RTJ to the top of my queue, I've a hankering for some good rap.

Peace - In Love: Nothing groundbreaking but very well put together guitar pop. Hope they improve as they go along.

Run The Jewels: With HF (and everyone else it seems) on this. Best rap album I've heard in years.

The Dear Hunter - Migrant: Some excellent songs mixed in with awful filler. Should have released the best tracks as an EP and worked on another concept album.