Manchester United vs Newcastle United

TOPTOON

Well for some reason I'm feeling strangely optimistic about this game. and by strangely optimistic I mean a hard fought 2-1 defeat rather than out usual hammering. At the very least I hope the lads are well up for this and a couple of good individual performances from Martins and Duff.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......................................................Harper......

.................Carr...............................Moore.........................Taylor.

...Duff...................Parker.................Emre..................Butt.....................Zoggy.

..........................................Martins......O......Ameobe.......................

I'm surprised no one has made a comment about my suggested formation to face Man.U.re.

Perhaps you think I'm a balmy old sod approaching senility, or perhaps you're all wallowing in self-pity and have no idea of the "Who Dares......WINS" approach, and have tunnel vision.

In the days when all teams played with five(5) forwards there were only three(3) at the back to contend with them, getting help from the two(2) half-backs if needed. IT WORKED.

Instead of five(5) forwards and 2 half-backs I'm suggesting five(5) in the middle and three(3) at the back, not four(4), and with two(2) up front.

I abhor the thought of a lone striker at any time in any park, the futility of it has been proved time and time again.

GIVE ME A STRONGER LOOKING STARTING LINE-UP IF YOU CAN.

......................................................Harper......

.................Carr...............................Moore.........................Taylor.

...Duff...................Parker.................Emre..................Butt.....................Zoggy.

..........................................Martins......O......Ameobe.......................

I'm surprised no one has made a comment about my suggested formation to face Man.U.re.

Perhaps you think I'm a balmy old sod approaching senility, or perhaps you're all wallowing in self-pity and have no idea of the "Who Dares......WINS" approach, and have tunnel vision.

In the days when all teams played with five(5) forwards there were only three(3) at the back to contend with them, getting help from the two(2) half-backs if needed. IT WORKED.

Instead of five(5) forwards and 2 half-backs I'm suggesting five(5) in the middle and three(3) at the back, not four(4), and with two(2) up front.

I abhor the thought of a lone striker at any time in any park, the futility of it has been proved time and time again.

GIVE ME A STRONGER LOOKING STARTING LINE-UP IF YOU CAN.

Who's the player called O spearheading the attack?

I normally prefer to leave these formations to others, but your offering frankly looks apalling to me - I'm convinced we would be slaughtered if we went for it, because we haven't got the quality to make it work. For instance, you want to play Carr in the centre? And Emre, Parker, and Judas all across the middle? With Duff and N'Zogbia inevitably having defensive duties (which in itself is a joke), where's the creativity? Nothing can hide the fact that Martins and Ameobi wouldn't get a sniff imo.

There's a reason antiquated formations aren't used nowadays, because they have been superceded by better formations. Nine times out of 10 4-4-2 is the most effective. I think we will lose today, but play with your team and it could be double figures!

Manchester United v Newcastle Untied

manu_home.png v newcastle_home.png

Sunday, 1st October 2006

Barclays Premiership

Kick Off 15:00hrs

Possible starting XI:

12harper.png2carr.png27taylor.png18moore.png26ramage.png16milner.png17parker.png5emre.png11duff.png9martins.png23ameobi.png

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, Heinze, Evra, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Richardson, Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Jones, Smith.

Newcastle (from): Harper, Srnicek, Krul, Carr, Bernard, Bramble, Moore, Taylor, Ramage, Huntington, Parker, Butt, Duff, Emre, N'Zogbia, Milner, Pattison, Ameobi, Martins, Sibierski, Luque.

:angry: tbh

:lol:

Unless Martins has an injury (which at NUFC is quite likely) then its a piss poor decision. He has just scored two goals to get his confidence up and needs to be playing and we need him to be playign to help cause their defence any problems.

Newcastle

* 12 S Harper

* 02 S Carr

* 26 P Ramage

* 18 C Moore

* 27 S Taylor

* 16 J Milner

* 22 N Butt

* 05 B Emre

* 17 S Parker

* 11 D Duff

* 23 S Ameobi

Substitutes

* 40 T Krul,

* 07 A Luque,

* 09 O Martins,

* 14 C N'Zogbia,

* 35 M Pattison

Guest Patrokles

Although personally I feel Ameobi is probably best served as a lone striker than Martins, & that if you go to OT and attack, you get fucking tonked. We saw when Souness played 4-5-1 in the game where Ambrose scored that it's the most sensible option, especially given the dynamic nature of Parker and Emre.

We'll see how the game itself goes, but I don't think it's fair to judge Roeder on his selection until we've seen how it works. I also believe that he has it right, really.

Edited by Patrokles

Exactly. You have to try and combat their system. Playing 4-4-2 when they have Ronaldo & Rooney buzzing around and about the front-man is asking for trouble. At least with Butt & Parker in there, there's a slight chance we may combat that. (very slight mind you)