Cooking

Gemmill

Just made my version of this. :)

Cupboards were absolutely bare so just chucked it what was available.

900 ml Knorr chicken stock

2 x bags of Birds eye garden mix

1/2 carton of basmati rice

1 x garlic clove

good splosh of soya sauce

few sprinkles of ginger

few sprinkles of chilli powder

Couple of handfuls of cooked pasta twists.

Enough for 4 and bloody delicious. :)

enevu8av.jpg

Quite literally a recipe for disaster

Any word on the blog? :D

Yeah actually - at the moment i'm still going through all the random ideas/recipes I've scribbled down and writing some down blog-style. Think I've got a general feel for what I'm going to do, and having looked at hosting sites I think wordpress looks like a decent bet!

I'm speaking to a free food publication in March about writing for them as well, so it'd be good to get my blog up and running then too so I can get a bit of free publicity. ;)

Yeah actually - at the moment i'm still going through all the random ideas/recipes I've scribbled down and writing some down blog-style. Think I've got a general feel for what I'm going to do, and having looked at hosting sites I think wordpress looks like a decent bet!

I'm speaking to a free food publication in March about writing for them as well, so it'd be good to get my blog up and running then too so I can get a bit of free publicity. ;)

As part of a project I've been asked to do some kind of blog too and I've already been using Wordpress as in registered the name etc. Haven't been arsed to pick up on it yet mind so let me know if you do. :D

If you need a hand.....,

Are you an actual chef Brock or an aspiring cook?

I worked as a chef for a year and a bit after uni and was trained by the head chef there (a grumpy git but a very good ex navy chef and a great teacher). Also did a very short stint in a fine dining restaurant before quickly deciding that I'd much rather be a keen amateur than like the chefs there who hated the work. This year though I've started moonlighting as a chef, mainly because I enjoy cooking but also it's a bit of extra money and i still have the hygiene certificate.

i'm sure we can help you out there ;)

PM'd! :)

As part of a project I've been asked to do some kind of blog too and I've already been using Wordpress as in registered the name etc. Haven't been arsed to pick up on it yet mind so let me know if you do. :D

Tbh choosing the bastard name seems to be the hardest part! Might have to pick your brains as I've no clue how it all works. :D

If you need a hand.....,

Could very well take you up on that! Did the DVD arrive ok?

Tonight's tea (typed it up as I was waiting for the pasta):

Linguine alla Puttanesca

1 can chopped tomatoes

generous handful of black olives

1 red onion

2 tsp capers

1 tsp red wine vinegar

3 cloves garlic

2 tsp fresh basil

½ tsp chilli flakes

8 anchovy fillets in olive oil (1 can)

pinch pepper

[Parmesan cheese to garnish if desired.]

Fry the onion in the anchovy oil until soft. About 7 minutes on a medium high heat.

Chop the anchovies nice and small then add them to the pan. Stir around and cook for 2 minutes, they’ll break down into the onion and it’ll look like they’ve caramelised (if only caramelising onions were this speedy!)

Now add the chopped garlic, capers and basil. Mix this around for a minute. It’ll smell divine but we’re not ready yet.

Put the pasta on to boil. Any pasta you want, but I used linguine.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer for 10 minutes so that the excess tomato juice (you know the fucker I’m talking about) evaporates. Give it a shake every now and then so it doesn't catch.

When the pasta is done, reserve a small amount of the pasta water for if you want a thinner sauce. Add at least a teaspoon to help the sauce and the pasta combine/emulsify whatever the technical term is.

Serves 2.

My lass brought back some parmesan from Florence so I used it for this. Wonderful stuff. :D

Tonight's tea (typed it up as I was waiting for the pasta):

Linguine alla Puttanesca

1 can chopped tomatoes

generous handful of black olives

1 red onion

2 tsp capers

1 tsp red wine vinegar

3 cloves garlic

2 tsp fresh basil

½ tsp chilli flakes

8 anchovy fillets in olive oil (1 can)

pinch pepper

[Parmesan cheese to garnish if desired.]

Fry the onion in the anchovy oil until soft. About 7 minutes on a medium high heat.

Chop the anchovies nice and small then add them to the pan. Stir around and cook for 2 minutes, they’ll break down into the onion and it’ll look like they’ve caramelised (if only caramelising onions were this speedy!)

Now add the chopped garlic, capers and basil. Mix this around for a minute. It’ll smell divine but we’re not ready yet.

Put the pasta on to boil. Any pasta you want, but I used linguine.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer for 10 minutes so that the excess tomato juice (you know the fucker I’m talking about) evaporates. Give it a shake every now and then so it doesn't catch.

When the pasta is done, reserve a small amount of the pasta water for if you want a thinner sauce. Add at least a teaspoon to help the sauce and the pasta combine/emulsify whatever the technical term is.

Serves 2.

My lass brought back some parmesan from Florence so I used it for this. Wonderful stuff. :D

Whore's pasta - love it

I worked as a chef for a year and a bit after uni and was trained by the head chef there (a grumpy git but a very good ex navy chef and a great teacher). Also did a very short stint in a fine dining restaurant before quickly deciding that I'd much rather be a keen amateur than like the chefs there who hated the work. This year though I've started moonlighting as a chef, mainly because I enjoy cooking but also it's a bit of extra money and i still have the hygiene certificate.

PM'd! :)

Tbh choosing the bastard name seems to be the hardest part! Might have to pick your brains as I've no clue how it all works. :D

Could very well take you up on that! Did the DVD arrive ok?

It did thankyou very much.

Scoured Asda tonight and couldn't find any Chilli flakes or chilli paste.

Found an item called chilli purée so used that.

Questions.

Where will I get chilli flakes?

The chilli purée just seemed to do the same as tobasco does. Any real difference?

The Spag Bol was sensational and I doubt some of you peasants will have tasted anything as good.

http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/mains/bolognese/

Voted 5/5 by nearly 7000 punters.

Honestly man, chilli flakes in their most basic form are with all the other jars of herbs and spices in Asda and everywhere else! Especially in Boldon Asda where there's probably 10 times more herbs and spices than when I had to make do with Seaham Asda and they had them there!

Honestly man, chilli flakes in their most basic form are with all the other jars of herbs and spices in Asda and everywhere else! Especially in Boldon Asda where there's probably 10 times more herbs and spices than when I had to make do with Seaham Asda and they had them there!

I scoured. There is nothing labelled chilli flakes!

Chilli powder, chilli grinders that looked like a pepper grinder only with limps of chilli inside.

I even crouched AVB style to double check.

:lol: Good effort CT!

:lol:

Scoured Asda tonight and couldn't find any Chilli flakes or chilli paste.

Found an item called chilli purée so used that.

Questions.

Where will I get chilli flakes?

The chilli purée just seemed to do the same as tobasco does. Any real difference?

The Spag Bol was sensational and I doubt some of you peasants will have tasted anything as good.

http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/mains/bolognese/

Voted 5/5 by nearly 7000 punters.

Look in the exotic foods section.

If its like Morrisons, you'll find a massive bag of them for a couple of quid.