Cooking

Gemmill

Made some lush curry last night. Spicy sag dahl, an okra and paneer tomato based curry and a side of broccoli tossed in a spice mix of black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek.

Been having a Japanese veg stew I've concocted the last 3 nights, inspired after watching an episode of Bizarre Foods. Basically a staple dish for sumo wrestlers - it is super nutritious, protein rich and extremely filling - though it's not the reason they get fat. They expand their girth by eating copious amounts of rice with the stew (that also has chicken, pork or fish) and drinking a shitload of beer before having a snooze quickly afterwards.

It is shit easy to prepare (veges cut up and stored in the fridge) which is good after a long day at work;

- Stock made from combu (hard seaweed), and dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in water brought to a simmer.

- Then you simply chuck in wombok (chinese cabbage), chinese broccoli, choi sum, some other weedy looking shit I don't know the name of but was told it was good for stock pots, mushrooms - shiitake, shimeji, enoki, oyster - and cubes of tofu.

- After it is cooked (which is basically a 10 minute job), put into a smaller serving bowl getting a bit of everything and top it with grated daikon (white radish) and pour over a drizzle of sauce (made from bonito sauce, rice vinegar, and lemon juice).

Needed the first night to get used to eating so many vegetables and the fact I probably didn't cook it long enough, and so the farts were fairly rancid and I was a little uncomfortably bloated, and so it wasn't much fun sitting on the toilet, but the two nights after where a made sure the veges were cooked properly I haven't had a reaction and I feel good afterwards. Have not had any craving for meat yet anyway which I'm best pleased about...

Been having a Japanese veg stew I've concocted the last 3 nights, inspired after watching an episode of Bizarre Foods. Basically a staple dish for sumo wrestlers - it is super nutritious, protein rich and extremely filling - though it's not the reason they get fat. They expand their girth by eating copious amounts of rice with the stew (that also has chicken, pork or fish) and drinking a shitload of beer before having a snooze quickly afterwards.

It is shit easy to prepare (veges cut up and stored in the fridge) which is good after a long day at work;

- Stock made from combu (hard seaweed), and dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in water brought to a simmer.

- Then you simply chuck in wombok (chinese cabbage), chinese broccoli, choi sum, some other weedy looking shit I don't know the name of but was told it was good for stock pots, mushrooms - shiitake, shimeji, enoki, oyster - and cubes of tofu.

- After it is cooked (which is basically a 10 minute job), put into a smaller serving bowl getting a bit of everything and top it with grated daikon (white radish) and pour over a drizzle of sauce (made from bonito sauce, rice vinegar, and lemon juice).

Needed the first night to get used to eating so many vegetables and the fact I probably didn't cook it long enough, and so the farts were fairly rancid and I was a little uncomfortably bloated, and so it wasn't much fun sitting on the toilet, but the two nights after where a made sure the veges were cooked properly I haven't had a reaction and I feel good afterwards. Have not had any craving for meat yet anyway which I'm best pleased about...

Sounds nice, rancid farts aside. I'm a sucker for Japanese bait.

Thinking of making home made kebabs tonight. :)

I have a good kebab recipe, a good garlic sauce recipe and a shredder :) to shred all that lovely cabbage..... I do however need a good chilli sauce recipe to replicate the chilli sauce you get in a kebab shop for our lass.

Google has led me to this site.

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/kebab-shop-chilli-sauce.html

Serves 4

1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes

1 Large onion finely chopped

4 Cloves garlic finely sliced

3 Teaspoons Mint Sauce

50ml Distilled Vinegar

Fresh Chillies (quantity to taste)

Method

Not every kebab shop uses the same recipe but this is the style of kebab sauce that I prefer the most. I use about 3 Cherry Chillies or 10 Green Finger Chillies when I make this. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz up until pureed but with small pieces of onion, garlic and chilli visible. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Serve Hot or cold as you prefer.

Thoughts or any one have a better recipe?

And no I am not just looking for recipes that involve shredding :lol:

Can anyone on here recommend some good Indian cookbooks?

I'm looking for two different kinds really. Rustic if you will, so some of the more basic and old fashioned recipes that stand the test of time. Something like The Silver Spoon but Indian I guess.

Then something quite modern, so Indian foot with a new style twist if you like. :)

Tea tonight is...

Home made Lamb Kebab

Chicken grilled in home made marinade

Home made garlic sauce

Home made chilli sauce

Home made coleslaw

Pitta Bread and shit loads of salad, not Home Made

Expecting all of this warrants me control of the TV remote tonight. :)

I'm looking for two different kinds really. Rustic if you will, so some of the more basic and old fashioned recipes that stand the test of time. Something like The Silver Spoon but Indian I guess.

Then something quite modern, so Indian foot with a new style twist if you like. :)

It doesn't really fit either bill, but I've got some really good stuff out of http://www.amazon.co...61291034&sr=8-1 (it's cheaper at Play.com and probably elsewhere too, but the Amazon link is more informative :) ).

This is superb. Mine is extremely well worn.

http://www.kushibalti.co.uk/

You basically make a big batch of base sauce (which you can then freeze in smaller portions if you like) from which the curry is formed. It's based around how they do it in the restaurants, but it really is brilliant. Plenty to get you making some starters like onion bhajis, chicken tikka, lamb kebabs etc, as well as chapatti and paratha recipes.

Direct link: http://www.kushibalti.co.uk/ukorder.htm

Edited by BigWalrus

Tea tonight is...

Home made Lamb Kebab

Chicken grilled in home made marinade

Home made garlic sauce

Home made chilli sauce

Home made coleslaw

Pitta Bread and shit loads of salad, not Home Made

Expecting all of this warrants me control of the TV remote tonight. :)

Post up your garlic and chilli sauce recipes if you don't mind? :)

Thanks for Meenzer and BigWalrus. :up:

I love cooking at home and Indian is definitely my favourite style to cook.

Having tandoori chicken legs for tea tonight. They've been marinating in the fridge for the past 24 hours now.

Post up your garlic and chilli sauce recipes if you don't mind? :)

The Garlic one is a cheat which the chef at El Coto said he uses for his dipping sauce.

Anyhow, the garlic mayonnaise is made using traditional, plain

mayonnaise, which we then mix with: finely chopped garlic, parsley and

olive oil blended together with a hand-blender until smooth. Quantities

of garlic can be adjusted so suit personal taste.

I basically get the Hellmans light mayo and do as above, but also add in 1 table spoon of fresh lemon juice. Ive made it twice now and all my very fussy family love it.

I dont eat Chilli sauce but have used to recipes off the net today because the wife likes it. As I dont eat it I cant really say if its nice or not but will post back once the cruelty inspector has passed judgement.

I made two types (Thats how scared I am of her).

http://www.hownottodoafoodblog.com/2011/04/you-want-sauce-dirty-kebab-house-chilli.html

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/kebab-shop-chilli-sauce.html