Cooking

Gemmill

Beef Rouladen for tea tonight. (Beef olives, but Beef Rouladen sounds miles better)

I don't have my camera, but it was awesome.

Three thin cuts of topside beef from the local butcher (I suppose you *should* go for one steak per person, but you can always do more - we had 1 1/2 each because our butcher does awesome beef)

1 onion

8 pickled baby gherkins

2 tsp wholegrain mustard

300ml beef stock

1 tbsp tomato puree

1 tbsp ale chutney/dash of stout (I used both)

1/2 tsp marmite

1tbsp plain flour

salt, pepper, sweet paprika

- Small dice and sautee the onion in butter until softened. Chop gherkins into small rounds.

- Flatten the steaks so they're a few centimetres thick. Use whatever tools and stimuli you want to bash them with; I used a pan and pictured CT snapping breadsticks into his food.

- Spread a teaspoon of mustard over each and then do the same with the onion & gherkin. Keep some of the onion aside. Season with the salt, pepper & sweet paprika.

- Roll them up and secure with a cocktail stick.

- Turn the heat on high and brown on all sides then set aside.

- Turn the heat down and return your saved onions (+ anything that falls out when rolling the steaks) to the pan and add the chutney/stout and tomato puree.

- Whisk in a tablespoon of flour and everything clumps together. Dissolve the marmite into the beef stock and slowly whisk this into the pan until the lumps disappear. (Add more or less stock according to how much gravy you want.)

- Return the Rouladen to the pan and turn the heat up so everything simmers. Scoop a bit of gravy over the top of the meat and then cover the pan with a lid. Simmer for 40 minutes, adding more stock if the gravy gets too thick. Give the pan a shake/stir every now and then and keep trickling gravy over the top of the meat.

Serve up with garlicky mash, some green veg and red cabbage. Drink some good beer with it too.

Is there rice and pasta in there?

Feel free to pass off as your own to Mrs F. ;)

Basmati rice

Baked beans

Box chopped toms

2 x bags birds eye carrots / sweetcorn

Onion

2 garlic cloves

Good shake curry powder

Lots of salt pepper & chili I flakes

Squirt Tom purée

Dash Worcester sauce

Chicken oxo in 400 ml hot water

Feel free to pass off as your own to Mrs F. ;)

Basmati rice

Baked beans

Box chopped toms

2 x bags birds eye carrots / sweetcorn

Onion

2 garlic cloves

Good shake curry powder

Lots of salt pepper & chili I flakes

Squirt Tom purée

Dash Worcester sauce

Chicken oxo in 400 ml hot water

:lol:

My mam used to bring me food parcels when I was at Uni but they consisted of stottie & ham and pease pudding mainly. I'm not convinced that CT would even know what to do with that!