Cooking

Gemmill

Trying to recreate Matfen Hall carrots tonight.

Imagine a large carrot sliced longways into three pieces, this is how it was served yesterday.

Parboiled for 15 mins and then roasted for 50 mins is my first attempt. Not quite the same but a smidge of butter certainly gets them close.

Still searching for the Chef Turnip / Swede trick.

Somehow they get in a lot darker in colour and far tastier. I think one once said they boiled it twice but so far unable to copy.

Are you still banging on about the swede?

Do you really want to know how it's done like?

We should have a special cooking thread ---- chefs tips edition.

These chef fellas have all sorts of secret tips for the most basic of things which can turn bog standard stuff into delicious stuff.

EG

The vegetables I had at the Maften were tastier than any I have ever had. There must be a little trick they have to make them so special and if we all ask about one item when we are fine dining, then very quickly we will have all the secrets ...... mwahahahahahahahahahahaha......

My carrot was served up as one section of a long carrot. Imagine a carrot sliced into rectangular pieces from top to bottom. It was superb.

I tried to recreate this last night by buying a carrot, slicing it into 4 length slices, par boiling for about 15 minutes and then oven roasting for 50 or so minutes. Finally I gave each carrot slice a tiny slither of butter. They were virtually the same but not quite.

Add to this the twice boiled turnip etc

Brock, howay fella. Spill

Regrettably, my foray into a fine dining kitchen did not include tutoring in the art of twice blackened turnips.

Given your carrot experiment yielded results that were 'virtually the same' as what you had in the restaurant, I'm not sure I can help. Perhaps the difference here is the fact you didn't see it being prepared and so the secret ingredient is merely the fact it was made by a chef.

Typically though, if you shock veggies in ice water directly after cooking, they keep their colour and texture better as this stops the cooking process.

Regrettably, my foray into a fine dining kitchen did not include tutoring in the art of twice blackened turnips.

Given your carrot experiment yielded results that were 'virtually the same' as what you had in the restaurant, I'm not sure I can help. Perhaps the difference here is the fact you didn't see it being prepared and so the secret ingredient is merely the fact it was made by a chef.

Typically though, if you shock veggies in ice water directly after cooking, they keep their colour and texture better as this stops the cooking process.

Doesnt that make them cold????

Just made the best roast beef dinner ever.

Had I been served this up at the Maften I would have been slightly disappointed, only slightly. Had it been served up anywhere else I would be sticking it in the recommend me a restaurant thread. HONESTLY.

Got a stunning looking joint of rump beef from Asda for under a fiver.

Two bags of the vegetable medley (Carrots, sprouts, broccoli and cauli). The first bag I microwaved for the recommended 5 minutes but everything was still pretty raw so by stages it got up to 13 minutes and it still wasnt right. The second bag was boiled for about 15 minutes. I then decided to chuck both bags in a glass dish in the oven for a further 20 minutes. Perfect. Rewarmed for 2 minutes in the microwave with a good helping of butter. (see footnote).

Yorkshires, well you've seen my puddings previously and they are simply superb.

Maris piper tatties boiled for 14 minutes then tossed in plain flour and tipped in a sizzling tray of olive oil and roasted for 30 - 40 minutes. Crispy on the outside and super soft in the middle.

Gravy was joint juices plus gravy granules plus tsp of mint sauce. Like the Yorkshires I have gravy off to a t.

To date this goes down as the pinnacle of my cooking endeavours. :)

None of the veg was frozen!!!!!

All the top chefs add a few gravy granules when no one is looking.

So you cooked fresh veg for over half an hour then? :lol:

Even worse tbh.

And no, any self respecting chef doesn't use gravy granules.

I'm with Ant. :lol: