Cooking

Gemmill

A real chef NEVER uses gravy granules. NEVER!!!

Don't need them! Why why why would you go to the trouble of using the meat juices from your roast only to completely mask the flavour with gravy granules???

Oh and re: your earlier question; when you shock veg, you're just dunking them in and out of the water real quick. They'll still be warm enough when served.

CT, it may not be the Maften (sic) Hall way, but do check out your dusty copy of the Silver Spoon for veg preparation techniques. From memory (I'm away atm) there's a mini-recipe for carrots with rosemary that's a doddle and gives you sweet, soft-but-not-soggy carrot batons every time.

CT, it may not be the Maften (sic) Hall way, but do check out your dusty copy of the Silver Spoon for veg preparation techniques. From memory (I'm away atm) there's a mini-recipe for carrots with rosemary that's a doddle and gives you sweet, soft-but-not-soggy carrot batons every time.

I nearly lifted it down to have a look but decided to soldier on. Will have a peep tomorrow.

I nearly lifted it down to have a look but decided to soldier on. Will have a peep tomorrow.

I love that the only book you'll contemplate reading is one that will have you eating a meal after every page.

You need that 1:1 page to dinner ratio to make it worth your while.

Have you got one of those dry fryers CT? Fantastic for healthier chips and roasties but they also make excellent carrots.

Had one but never really used it so got rid.

All things in moderation of course , but I've mastered roast potatoes and do a cracking honey roast tray of parsnips or / and carrots.

A lot are these things are easy once you know the perfect method and The Guardian do a great feature where they take several chefs versions and amalgamate into "the perfect recipe".

Having a meat thermometer pretty much guaranteed perfect meat every time.

So that's why this week my investigation is into the best way to serve up a selection of vegetables. We've all been in various restaurants and the differences can be massive. Over boiled, too crunchy, too sloppy etc. But then you'll visit somewhere where the veg are a mouth watering feast in themselves. That's the holy grail I'm after!

So you've started the investigation by microwaving some for half an hour. :lol:

The only way is up.

No, I had two bags. One boiled, one microwaved. Neither gave me the consistently that I was after so both went on a roasting tray which ended up with a very close result.

Method needs refining.

To be fair to CT, I use my micro to steam veg quite often.

However, green beans - 4-5 mins, mangetout/sugar snaps- 3-4 mins , broccoli 5 mins.

I don't think I've ever programmed it to run more than 10 minutes, never mind Hal an hour :lol:

:lol: this is beyond insane

has anybody ever watched one of those real time cooking shows where they've went "ok lads today we're going make x+veg, better get the veg on now because it's going take 30mins of being boiled to death so it's ready in time before the end of the show"

It depends really how you like your veg. Some people like it extremely al dente, others like it like mush. Getting the right consistency is much like getting the meat, rare, medium or well done.

To be fair to CT, I use my micro to steam veg quite often.

However, green beans - 4-5 mins, mangetout/sugar snaps- 3-4 mins , broccoli 5 mins.

I don't think I've ever programmed it to run more than 10 minutes, never mind Hal an hour :lol:

tbf the mistake was probably that it was a bag of mixed veg consisting of broccoli, sprouts and large chunks of carrots. While the broccoli would have probably been fine, the carrots would have loosened teeth. Add to that as Ive mentioned to Ant that different people have different tastes in the firmness of vegetables. However this is what Veg weeks all about. :)

As for the microwave, quite a few of the top chefs use it, including Mr Oliver.

Theres also a difference when you are making a big special meal you can take your time over and when you simply want to get everyone fed and off to bed. :lol:

Al dente veg is the way like. I use the microwave to do bags of broccoli etc, pierce the bags and nuke for no more than a couple of minutes. As soon as it starts smelling of veg, it's overdone. Then drizzle with good olive oil and season.

Nuke any veg for Half an hour and there'll be fuck all left but mush.