Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

I got some ridiculous visa gift cards for Xmas. Basically a £25 voucher that can be spent anywhere that accepts visa, but they cost £28 to buy! £25 cash is £3 cheaper and can also be spent anywhere

Which genius got you those? [emoji38]

Sorry to drag up an old subject but, tempted to get this for my bike :D

0DE41567-5939-4D1C-90E8-27A748C94160_zps

[emoji38] is this part of the plan for not spending money on pointless shit in 2017? This is the dictionary definition of a pointless purchase.

[emoji38] is this part of the plan for not spending money on pointless shit in 2017? This is the dictionary definition of a pointless purchase.

Good point :lol:

I got some cash for Xmas though and I'm not quite middle aged enough yet to just put it in the bank for retirement

Anyone use an electric razor? I get shaving rash off a wet shave and have gotten into the habit of just shaving with a pair of clippers but the blades tend to get blunted after a few months. Thinking of investing in a proper electric razor

Anyone use an electric razor? I get shaving rash off a wet shave and have gotten into the habit of just shaving with a pair of clippers but the blades tend to get blunted after a few months. Thinking of investing in a proper electric razor

I'm a complete wimp when it comes to shaving so went electric years ago - the Braun/Panasonic ones are too similar to wet shavers for me in that they are used straight up and down so I've stuck with Phillips 3-headed rotary ones. Last couple have been ones you can use wet or dry.

I used to have a Braun Series 7 years ago and that was class. Obviously they'll have released more updated models since then, but I'd recommend the brand based on that.

I've had a couple of philips and had a similar experience. Never shaved close enough and took bloody ages.

I used to get a rash from a wet shave but it's only due to not preparing the skin properly or using a good blade. Follow these steps and the rash will go, plus you'll have a clean close shave.

1) start by pressing face with a warm flannel to open pores and soften bristles.

2) use a face scrub on damp bristles - Clinique do a good one - to wake up any hairs lying flat on the face and exfoliate skin.

3) use a shaving brush to apply a glycerine- based shaving cream designed for sensitive skin. Avoid foam. My shaving spots reduced massively when I stopped using it.

4) after shaving, pat face with cold water before applying a post shave healer - Clinique again do a good one.

This might sound metrosexuallly poncey but I did a bit of reading into it after using high street shop foam for years then an electric shaver and found it helped reduce the shaving spots massively. I also found following those steps actually takes less time than shaving with an electric razor - but then I was probably using the wrong one.