Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

:lol: Fuck you two.

Whoopsies :lol:;)

Gemmill's right about the weirdos in audit too. Interesting how accountants being weird and boring is a trend that encompasses geographical/cultural boundaries :D

FFS, is everyone on here except me an accountant of some sort? Is the world not oversubscribed with accountants? :lol:

High suicide rate so...

Edited by aimaad22

:lol: Are you a tax gimp? I was in audit like, so it's not like there weren't weirdos knocking about there too. Not me though obv.

:lol: Aye, also for the same company yous were on about. Yeah the level of uncomfort with social situations is definitely higher in tax than audit mind, my group is a bit better for it though.

I actually came over here, met her and got a degree here. She's on my back about me trying to get a transfer back home as she fancies living in England :lol:

I remember you mentioning working over here, all tech clients out there I presume? They get to go to work in shorts now out there as the clients were saying they felt like their dads were coming when the auditors turned up :lol:

Fucking hell, I'm glad it wasn't shorts when I was there. [emoji38]

I was there in 2001 to 2004 so pretty much the dotcom bust. There was still loads of work going for tech firms, but I interviewed with an Australian lass who was one of the managers on the Bechtel audit (the dodgy construction and engineering company that landed all the contracts to rebuild Iraq). So when I got the job she snapped me up for that - Bechtel is so huge that PwC had permanent offices there, so I more or less had one client apart from a couple of other bits and pieces during the summer.

It was good cos it meant I didn't need to scrap around for chargeable hours - the fee was huge so I could charge all my time to that and no one noticed - but also cos it was bang in the middle of SF, so no commutes to deal with and you could go out after work and stuff.

I'd let the dust settle on Brexit before you come back over here. Although there's always work for tax gimps, I suppose. ;)

Sounds mint, I know the associates that audit google are there permanently and get a lot of the perks of being a google employee without being smart enough to be a google employee :lol: . Very lucky regarding chargeable hours as well, some of the people at my office have a bunch of small clients and they're scrapping for owt they can get to charge.

Aye I'm in no rush to move home at the minute, one day I probably will even if it's just for a few years.

FFS, is everyone on here except me an accountant of some sort? Is the world not oversubscribed with accountants? :lol:

Nah, not everyone. MF's a window cleaner, PL changes lightbulbs and I keep North East manufacturing going almost singlehandedly. Quiff works for a Japanese mackem called Kaiza Soze who takes constant pics of him at work telling him where he's going wrong. :good:

Edit; when you see lottery winners who carry on working in their shitty jobs, that's an extreme example of my point- they have no idea what to do because they've let work become their sole existence. They have no idea what to do without it.

Uni mate of mine's dad inherited half of the family business but had no interest/acumen for it so sold his half to his brother for millions. Since then he bought a couple of restaurants and employed people to run them, to keep some kind of reliable income. He's worked in their kitchen, he's worked as a taxi-driver, a baggage handler in the Isle of Mann airport and now is self employed as a driving instructor. He just likes to keep busy and enjoys putting in a days graft.

I wouldn't fancy that, but I'd definitely have a business to keep me busy.

Has this cunt heard of travelling?

He's done a bit, but he's got 4 daughters and obviously that surely limits where you go and what you do. More, I'm guessing, because of the logistics of travelling with 5 people of varying ages, doesn't really make sense to go to Peru with that lot in tow.

Last time I spoke to him, he was taking his wife off on a big holiday. But to be honest, he's a Yorkshire lad who's happier in the pub with his mates than spending a fortune just so he can say that he has. Might seem a waste, but all his daughters have their head screwed on right and while they might have got a new Golf for their 18th instead of a bottle of Cava, they know the value of money. 

4 daughters?! What is with these people that think the world needs another 4 versions of them running around.

Guest "No wine for me thanks I'm pregnant"

Gemmill "What?! Another one of you? For fucks sake, I'm outta here, see ya later losers!"

d07kR.gif

There's no need man. There are 7. 5 fucking billion people on this planet, almost twice as many as there were 40 years ago, and this dope has got his wife firing out 4 kids.

If I was PM, he would be made to pick the two he wanted to keep.

There's no need man. There are 7. 5 fucking billion people on this planet, almost twice as many as there were 40 years ago, and this dope has got his wife firing out 4 kids.

If I was PM, he would be made to pick the two he wanted to keep.

Don't get me wrong, I think 4 is fucking bonkers. I honestly think part of it was he wanted a son and would have stopped earlier had one shown up. My Dad said over Christmas dinner one year, "He was just going to keep plugging away until he got a boy." which went down well with my older sisters :lol: Difference is, the possibility of a 5th girl is a ridiculous risk to take. Whereas my folks were blessed with my arrival after two trial runs.