Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

A new telly that Amazon's courier of choice has decided not to bother delivering today after all.

If its the HDNL then you're in trouble. Turbo Gash.

City Link, I think. Either way, resigned to it not turning up today (funnily enough :calmdown:), so ho hum.

I'm getting something from Amazon via City Link on Tuesday and after all the bother I had with them last month, I checked whether they were back to normal on their web site - apart from 4 or 5 depots they claim to be okay.

I've had loads of bother with DHL lately. Had one parcel delayed at Gateshead because of "bad weather" the roads were clear and it wasn't even raining. Now they've got another parcel stuck there because the "Consignee On Holiday ". Also the guy that delivers for them (uses his own car) absolutely hums. Really really stinks.

I fancied making one for the fun of making it myself. The finished product will just be a bonus. So far it's only cost about £60 for parts and all I need now is an old tv and some (lots of) mdf.

I'll be very surprised if that cab doesn't go above a few hundred quid!

The only bit I'm not looking forward to is discharging the tv then touching it...just in case I fail!

Whey not likely. People see 'untested' and run a mile. Probably needs a new fuse or power supply (£20) I bet it goes for £50ish

I fancied making one for the fun of making it myself. The finished product will just be a bonus. So far it's only cost about £60 for parts and all I need now is an old tv and some (lots of) mdf.

I'll be very surprised if that cab doesn't go above a few hundred quid!

The only bit I'm not looking forward to is discharging the tv then touching it...just in case I fail!

Whey not likely. People see 'untested' and run a mile. Probably needs a new fuse or power supply (£20) I bet it goes for £50ish

If it wasn't in Wales I would have bought it just for the wood. You can buy flat pack wood cabinets (just the wood) for £1500!!! But I do look forward to making a right arse of a rickety box myself

For myself I've bought (just before Xmas really) a 15" Macbook Pro

Bought one of these to use as an HTPC & a PC for Matt to play Educational games like Dora etc on: Acer Revo 3700

MBP is lovely and the Revo is canny too. I've put XMBC on it and as its running Windows7 my old TV card's media remote & IR sensor worked out the box. It auto-boots into XMBC so the Mrs can use the remote to select something for the kids and not even have to get the wireless keyboard & mouse out (the version I bought came with them).

What do you think of the kinect? I'm thinking of getting one myself.

fantastic yoke, really can't believe how responsive it is, as I had feared it would not live up to the dream, but you really are the controller.

only thing lacking is a wider range of titles, but there's enough there to keep you entertained, and if you have kids there's more titles still that wouldn't appeal to me that they will no doubt love.

tbh for the price, the experience of technology like that, it's worth paying for that alone.

I was worried I'd leave it sitting like the wii, but it's had plenty of use already.

A new telly that Amazon's courier of choice has decided not to bother delivering today after all.

If its the HDNL then you're in trouble. Turbo Gash.

City Link, I think. Either way, resigned to it not turning up today (funnily enough :wank: ), so ho hum.

I'm getting something from Amazon via City Link on Tuesday and after all the bother I had with them last month, I checked whether they were back to normal on their web site - apart from 4 or 5 depots they claim to be okay.

Finally showed up yesterday via HDNL despite Amazon saying it would be City Link. Which would explain why the tracking number didn't work. ;)

Of course, this was a day after the fella called Amazon about it and they told him they'd cancel the order immediately and give him a refund. :razz:

Anyway, v. happy with it. Sony Bravia, a relatively modest 32" - there's a limit to the number of inches my parlour can take.

What do you think of the kinect? I'm thinking of getting one myself.

fantastic yoke, really can't believe how responsive it is, as I had feared it would not live up to the dream, but you really are the controller.

only thing lacking is a wider range of titles, but there's enough there to keep you entertained, and if you have kids there's more titles still that wouldn't appeal to me that they will no doubt love.

tbh for the price, the experience of technology like that, it's worth paying for that alone.

I was worried I'd leave it sitting like the wii, but it's had plenty of use already.

Sounds brilliant. I'm sure there'll be a better selection of games for it eventually. Thanks for the advice.