What are you reading?

khay

Currently flying through the Meg series by Steve Alten.

Modern day fiction about the fact some Megalodons managed to survive through time and accidentally surface causing havoc.

I know some will immediately think ofJaws but they're a lot different so far as in it goes quite in depth at times and tasks about the scientific aspect of things.

If you can get hold of it, Magick Without Tears is a good Crowley book to start with, The Vision and the Voice is the book I've enjoyed the most of his. You could also check out the works of Pete Carroll for some recent stuff that treads similar waters, although from a much more scientific/mathematical position.

If you're a fan of grimoires then Jake Stratton Kent has put some very good stuff out, and if Kabbalah is an interest then David Chaim Smiths' work is well worth looking at, I've just dug out my old copy of The Kabbalistic Mirror of Genesis to go through again, his artwork is well worth checking out as well.

Did you read those Mark Fisher books you ordered a while ago?

Zero Books have recently released the next 2 volumes to Eugene Thackers Horror of Philosophy series, I've not read 2 and 3 yet but they're on my list (first one is very good).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dust-This-Planet-Horror-Philosophy/dp/184694676X

Thanks for those ideas RM will definitely get hold of a couple of those..Think the starter book would be a good place to enter the river...It's a big ole river innit. :) Somehow I feel I know these things but need a refresher. ;)

The two Fisher books were excellent btw, preferred the thin one which was more hardcore and full of my faves - Derrida,Foucault, Baudrillard etc...The thicker one was a bit more potted history and obviously semi-autobiographical so some of it resonated and some not so much...I'm on a project at the moment where I keep having to do double takes with regard to reality and 'the real' the Fisher books have really complicated something which I had thought I had approached 'neutrally' (if there is such a thing sweetie).

The universe has impeccable timing so they say.

Ordered the Thacker.

Edited by Park Life

Am I missing something here, I thought there were 4 up there?

One of those rovers is near Norway and one in the dessert someplace (Mohave)? There's no vehicles on Mars.

Think the original one afaik the battery would be fucked on Mars cause it's too hot. It was basically like a laptop battery that would have had to survive for years on end...Just not credible. Can't remember what the issues were with the later one but it was a gaff of comparable nature.

Edited by Park Life

Thanks for those ideas RM will definitely get hold of a couple of those..Think the starter book would be a good place to enter the river...It's a big ole river innit. :) Somehow I feel I know these things but need a refresher. ;)

The two Fisher books were excellent btw, preferred the thin one which was more hardcore and full of my faves - Derrida,Foucault, Baudrillard etc...The thicker one was a bit more potted history and obviously semi-autobiographical so some of it resonated and some not so much...I'm on a project at the moment where I keep having to do double takes with regard to reality and 'the real' the Fisher books have really complicated something which I had thought I had approached 'neutrally' (if there is such a thing sweetie).

The universe has impeccable timing so they say.

Ordered the Thacker.

yeah Fishers first book Capitalist Realism (the slimmer one) was the better of the two for me as well, I was a little bit disappointed with the second one, although it does have it's moments.

metamute.org is a good site for articles by Thacker (and Fisher), amongst others.

One of those rovers is near Norway and one in the dessert someplace (Mohave)? There's no vehicles on Mars.

Think the original one afaik the battery would be fucked on Mars cause it's too hot. It was basically like a laptop battery that would have had to survive for years on end...Just not credible. Can't remember what the issues were with the later one but it was a gaff of comparable nature.

:lol:

Reading Cities in Flight by James Blish atm. You'd love it, you crazy diamond

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs. He never imagines he would encounter anyone whose intellect matched his own, much less an audacious teenage girl with a penchant for detection. Miss Mary Russell becomes Holmes' pupil and quickly hones her talent for deduction, disguises and danger. But when an elusive villain enters the picture, their partnership is put to a real test.
Totally does the Arthur Conan Doyle series justice and I totally bought into the premise of a retired Holmes.
If you're into the originals then I really do recommend this as a must read. Quality stuff. :up:

Is he one of your lot @Park Life?

The lizard overlords distracting us in the Matrix with shiny technology while they form a one world government?

Cheerful bugger, either way.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished ''Behind The Curtain'' by Jonathan Wilson, which was very interesting in places but at times quite boring - which is expected as it's essentially a collection of articles. So at times he may go into detail about club ownership complications etc but generally there's enough enjoyable reading to counteract the stuff about 3rd party ownership avoiding tax laws or some shite. Worth a read. :up:

I've moved on to ''The Footballer Who Could Fly'' by Duncan Hamilton, which is pretty class and like most ''football'' books football tends to be in the peripheral & it focuses on the relationship he had with his father - so far any way!

There's some beautifully written stuff about Newcastle & Jackie Milburn etc, enjoying it so far. He's obviously wrote some class stuff in the past so I don't expect to be let down.

In between I'm reading 'The Gambler' by Dostoevsky & a few shite Bukowski poems before bed :lol:

I've signed up to Goodreads, because apparently last.fm, MyFitnessPal and co. aren't quite enough life-tracking for me. :D Currently working my way through Rich Hall's Otis Lee Crenshaw book, which is about the right level for distracted public transport consumption.

Love a bit of Goodreads like. :up:

Currently reading a book about some blokes adventures travelling through all of the old Soviet countries in a camper van. My idea of heaven tbh.

Next up after that will be Robin Hobb's new one about Fitz and my Fool. Can't wait for that as the whole series is the best fantasy that I've ever read.

Just reading Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton. Heard lots about him and have been meaning to read it for ages. It's class. He's the bloke who wrote, amongst other things, the play Rope which Hitchcock made into a classic.

Catcher In The Rye

36 is probably a bit too old read it for the first time. Still enjoying it like.

Proper teenage angsty but still one of my favourite books.

I want to read it again. I read and loved it as a teenager, and have recently been reminded of it as Stephen King's latest is about a Salinger type figure who gets killed and manuscripts of his other unpublished books get stolen.