What are you reading?

khay

Margaret Attwood - 'The Blind Assassin'

She's a great writer but this isn't a good book for my commute because there's too much noise around me to sit and focus on it properly. When I'm just reading it at home though, it's lovely. Unfortunately that means it's going to take absolutely ages to get through as I'm used to doing most of my reading on the bus. Currently I've read about 16% and have just under 10 hours reading time left. :lol:

Aye, I love Margaret Atwood. It's her most famous one but have you read Handmaid's Tale? She has some mint short story collections too, Good Bones and Simple Murders and Wilderness Tips are two I go back to every now and then. That reminds me, her new one from this year is lying around my house somewhere but I haven't read it.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

I loved The Handmaid's Tale but, for whatever reason, haven't read any more Margaret Atwood. Just finished Alan Paton's Cry the Beloved Country. Which almost sounds like a line from Curb...

Proper book, as Graeme Souness would say.

I have to say that it is hasn't completely grabbed me yet but I'm sticking with it. I just finished gone girl, obviously not a classic, but a page turner in comparison, so far.

I have to say that it is hasn't completely grabbed me yet but I'm sticking with it. I just finished gone girl, obviously not a classic, but a page turner in comparison, so far.

Gone Girl is quite good.

I tried to read Catch 22 years ago and gave up but I'm not a big "classics" reader. I've also tried to read Vonnegut and Philip Dick in the past and failed as well. I think it's partly due to being forced to read stuff in school I disliked and maybe a bit of emperors new clothes from my pov.

Economic Philosophy by Joan Robinson. Its a page turner.

"Economics has always been partly a vehicle" for the ruling ideology of each period as well as partly a method of scientific investigation. It limps along with one foot in untested hypotheses and the other in untestable slogans. Here our task is to sort out as best we may this mixture of ideology and science." With these provocative words, Joan Robinson introduces this lively and iconoclastic book. "In what follows," she says, "this theme is illustrated by reference to one or two of the leading ideas of the economists from Adam Smith onwards, not in a learned manner, tracing the development of thought, nor historically, to show how ideas arose out of the problems of each age, but rather an attempt to puzzle out the mysterious way that metaphysical propositions, without any logical content, can yet be a powerful influence on thought and action." Robinson is responsible for some of the most austerely professional contributions to economic theory, but here in effect she takes the reader behind the scenes and cheerfully exposes the dogmatic content of economic orthodoxy. In its place, she offers the possibility that with obsolete metaphysics cleared out of the way economics can make a substantial advance toward science.

This is why we mere mortals who inhabit the nether regions of these boards don't live in a Gallic chateau with a wine cellar the size of the Leazes Park :huh:

This is why we mere mortals who inhabit the nether regions of these boards don't live in a Gallic chateau with a wine cellar the size of the Leazes Park :huh:

Tut tut, lifestyle top trumps, new low etc, etc. ;)

Anyway, where's Jeeves parked the bloody Rolls this time, what?

"Robinson is responsible for some of the most austerely professional contributions to economic theory, but here in effect she takes the reader behind the scenes and cheerfully exposes the dogmatic content of economic orthodoxy."

:lol: She really lets her hair down with this one.