What are you reading?

khay

Great book. I read it a few years ago for the first time.

I've never got into Stephen King. I'm contemplating giving the Dark Tower a go. I've heard the series is brilliant.

Great book. I read it a few years ago for the first time.

I've never got into Stephen King. I'm contemplating giving the Dark Tower a go. I've heard the series is brilliant.

I've never bothered with them as not sure how I'll get on with the whole fantasy thing. I love King though, I'm not arsed about horror (I prefer his non-horror stuff), I just think he's a mint storyteller.

I've never bothered with them as not sure how I'll get on with the whole fantasy thing. I love King though, I'm not arsed about horror (I prefer his non-horror stuff), I just think he's a mint storyteller.

Yeah. The reason I'd never got into King was because I'm not a fan of the horror genre either. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to contemporary fiction.

I've recently got into fantasy since I've starting reading a lot more fiction though, so I think I'll give the Dark Tower a go at some point.

I think fantasy is one of those genres that you either like or you don't though really. I dismissed it as worthwhile reading for so many years on the basis that I couldn't get through Lord of the Rings for love nor money. I've come around though.

Bel-Ami for the book club next, to be followed (for my own personal reading, not the club) by Cop Town by Karin Slaughter.

Edited by Jill

Yeah. The reason I'd never got into King was because I'm not a fan of the horror genre either. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to contemporary fiction.

I've recently got into fantasy since I've starting reading a lot more fiction though, so I think I'll give the Dark Tower a go at some point.

I think fantasy is one of those genres that you either like or you don't though really. I dismissed it as worthwhile reading for so many years on the basis that I couldn't get through Lord of the Rings for love nor money. I've come around though.

I've read the Dark Tower series a couple of times, I loved it as it links into loads of his other books (you get characters turning up from Salem's Lot, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia off the top of my head). The first book in the series is a bit rough going as it was one of the first things he wrote but it's short and mostly western themed so if you can push through than then you should be fine with the others. It never strays too far into traditional fantasy, but there are elements of parallel worlds and there's a bit of King Arthur's mythology meshed with the westerns themes.

I've read the Dark Tower series a couple of times, I loved it as it links into loads of his other books (you get characters turning up from Salem's Lot, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia off the top of my head). The first book in the series is a bit rough going as it was one of the first things he wrote but it's short and mostly western themed so if you can push through than then you should be fine with the others. It never strays too far into traditional fantasy, but there are elements of parallel worlds and there's a bit of King Arthur's mythology meshed with the westerns themes.

Sounds interesting. I'm definitely going to give it a look. I've heard the Gunslinger is one of the weaker books in the series. I think I'll enjoy the series though so I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Picked up Ben Elton's Time and Time Again on the advice of someone from work who, despite my reservations about spending any money on a Ben Elton "thriller" somehow convinced me to vandalise my kindle with it.

I won't be taking the colleagues advice on books again. <_<

That book he wrote about a murder in a Big Brother style show was the most ham-fistedly shit piece of satire I've ever read.

Sounds like that's right in Davey's comedy wheelhouse.

Have to admit I've read more than one Ben Elton book. I remember enjoying popcorn when I was a teenager because it was so similar to Natural Born Killers.

When i think that now though it would seem to be more of a criticism than a compliment.

Some huge sci-fi Alex recommended has finally arrived. Tiring picking the fucker up.

It's four volumes in one if you want to break it up a bit. I read it all in one go though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Inverting the Pyramid (interesting if quite slow going look at football tactics from the beginning of what we know as football till now) and The Nowhere Men (A good insight into football scouts, their roles in deals and how they are being phased out of modern football by statistics).

Recommend both but Fuckin' Hell It's Paul Cannell is still my fave football book.

Finished Inverting the Pyramid (interesting if quite slow going look at football tactics from the beginning of what we know as football till now) and The Nowhere Men (A good insight into football scouts, their roles in deals and how they are being phased out of modern football by statistics).

Recommend both but Fuckin' Hell It's Paul Cannell is still my fave football book.

:good:

Aye, it's a good laugh and read.