Sweets

Glasgow Mag

How do you think todays confectionery matches up to the standards of yesteryear?

I reckon standards are slipping.

For example, Fruit Gums used to be one of my favourite sweets. Now, todays bastardised version is a pale imitation of the version I used to buy in my youth. They used to have the shapes of the fruits on the top side of the gum, e.g. lime shape on the green ones. SInce they changed to the generic 'grid' pattern on all flavours, the gums themselves are shit.

Discuss.

How do you think todays confectionery matches up to the standards of yesteryear?

For example, Fruit Gums used to be one of my favourite sweets. Now, todays bastardised version is a pale imitation of the version I used to buy in my youth. They used to have the shapes of the fruits on the top side of the gum, e.g. lime shape on the green ones. SInce they changed to the generic 'grid' pattern on all flavours, the gums themselves are shit.

Discuss.

I rarely eat sweeties tbh.

Gemmills the man to ask when it comes to chocolate though...

Do they still sell Highland Toffee? I haven't seen that about in a while.

aaahhh Highland Toffee ...lost a few fillings with that stuff :icon_lol: now Texan Bars ...whatever happened to them *sigh* :icon_lol:

Wham bars as well used to be notorious where teeth were concerned.

I don't think sweets have got sh!tter, we've just got older and pine for things from our youth. Our parents were the same, and the kids today will be exactly the same in 20 years time.

The names have got sh!tter.

Starbursts and Snickers will always be Opal Fruits and Marathon.

Discuss.

one reason is that hey no longer use colourings that give you cancer

back in the early 70's I went round the Smarties Factory - the BRIGHTEST were the ones sold in the UK..........

Sweets have definatly shrunk since i was a kid.

i also used to love this stuff that i cant remember the name of - it was basically chocolate dust. gorgeous it was.

Waggon wheels were the size of a dustbin lid when I was a kid....

:icon_lol:

And Curly Wurlys were as long as a 12" ruler!!

Waggon wheels were the size of a dustbin lid when I was a kid....

:icon_lol:

And Curly Wurlys were as long as a 12" ruler!!

Aye, Curly Wurly's used to be huge. You're right, they've got smaller.

You used to be able to buy a Cadbury's Fudge for about 8p as well.

Christ knows how much they are now.

A normal bar of chocolate is 45-60p these days. I remember when they were about 20p.

Old Jamaica

Spanish Gold (that coconut baccy stuff)

Maynards Milk Bottles + wine gums

Sherbet strawberries + lemons

Aztec Bars

Cola Cubes

Pineapple chunks

Penny Dainties (mcGowans)

Fruit Salads

Blackjacks

Gobstoppers

sour Grapes (chewa)

ah the memories ah the dentists

anymore anyone..?

Re the opening post and fruit gums - the ones that came in the normal sized packet I'm sure didn't have any fruit patterns on. They were just plain. It was only when you bought cinema type bags of them that they had any patter on them.