Breaking news: Viduka signs two year deal

ohhh_yeah

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARK VIDUKA has agreed to join Newcastle — but Scott Parker is set to leave in an £8.5million move to West Ham.

Aussie hitman Vid will be Sam Allardyce’s first high-profile signing since he took the Toon job at the end of the season.

Viduka, 31, was out of contract at Middlesbrough and rejected a new £40,000-a-week two-year deal to stay.

It is a huge blow to Boro boss Gareth Southgate as Viduka has proved a consistent goalscorer at the Riverside, as he was for his previous clubs Celtic and Leeds.

Viduka, who managed to bag 14 Premiership goals this term in an injury-hit season on Teesside, had also attracted strong interest from Portsmouth.

West Ham have tabled an £8.5m bid for Toon skipper Parker — who cost £6.5m from Chelsea two years ago.

The England midfielder, 26, used to play for Hammers boss Alan Curbishley at Charlton and fancies a return to London.

That's the story from The Sun.

Guest Patrokles

If he rejected a 40K pw 2 year deal at Boro then how much have we offered him?

Maybe it wasn't necessarily about money now that we have a half-decent manager.

But it probably is the money.

Guest alex

Good player. Questionable attitude at times but he's a proven Premiership player who is on a free and just the sort of striker we've been lacking since Shearer retired, i.e. someone with a physical presence, a good first touch and can play with their back to goal.

Good player. Questionable attitude at times but he's a proven Premiership player who is on a free and just the sort of striker we've been lacking since Shearer retired, i.e. someone with a physical presence, a good first touch and can play with their back to goal.

Exactly, I would also add that he is a very skillfull player who has the ablility to open up a defence for others. Tbh I would say he's a cheaper alternative to Gudjohnsen.

Guest alex

I doubt we're paying him that much anyway. Probably on about £40k a week plus a canny signing on fee which is probably significantly less than a comparable player would have cost anyway.

He's a very good player tbf, and I think the 'fat' jokes are a bit unfair, although I've joined in many a time with them. The only doubts I have are his attitude and his injury record. For nowt though, I'd def take him.

He's a very good player tbf, and I think the 'fat' jokes are a bit unfair, although I've joined in many a time with them. The only doubts I have are his attitude and his injury record. For nowt though, I'd def take him.

For this reason I wouldn't fancy going into the season with just him as our main striker but if we keep at least one of Owen and Martins, have Shola and hopefully another we would be looking in pretty good shape.

I'm a little concerned I must admit, Viduka I guess I'm happy enough with - though not as a main striker, not with his injuries. What worries me more though is all this talk about Barton coming our way, I'm not convinced about him, I think he's too much of a risk with the trouble he might cause... though I guess Sam did sort Diouf out.

Have a word with yourself, this is Viduka we're talking about.

He's been superb for Boro this season and represents a cracking signing on a free.

He has a history of playing really well in a 'contract year' and then getting lazy again once he's signed up, so Sam will have to watch that.

I'm a little concerned I must admit, Viduka I guess I'm happy enough with - though not as a main striker, not with his injuries. What worries me more though is all this talk about Barton coming our way, I'm not convinced about him, I think he's too much of a risk with the trouble he might cause... though I guess Sam did sort Diouf out.

Don't think he did if you look at the games he was getting stick in,especially the one against us where he was taunting the crowd,players like that will never change it's in their nature.

Another Souness situation with Big Sam in he'll sort this player out and that player out..total bollocks

why bring players like that in in the first place?thought we were trying to get away from all the circus carry on?

seems not like

Edited by @yourservice

Guest alex

Aye but Diouf thrives off that sort of thing, he's a twat. But I think Allardyce got the best out of him playing-wise and I think it's a sign of his good man-management skills that he is able to do that with so many different types of player/character/nationality. Putting Diouf aside, Allardyce just strikes me as the sort of bloke (most) players want to play for. Which is half the battle imo.

One thing that's often been labeled against Viduka is that he only does the business when he has something to play for (World cup, new contract)

If he came here it would be for his final pay day IMO, what motivation would he have to perform every week?