Souness - Magpies have problems

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness admits he never enjoyed his time at St James' Park, claiming Newcastle United are a club with 'big problems'.

The former Scotland international spent 18 months in charge on Tyneside before being dismissed in February 2006.

Sam Allardyce has now taken on the job in the North East and Souness has warned the ex-Bolton boss of the perils which lie ahead.

"Sam has never managed a big club before and this is his opportunity to be successful," Souness told Sportsweek on Radio Five Live.

"You wake up in the morning when you manage a big club and you look to get through the day with the fewest problems.

"I didn't enjoy my time up there. It's not the pressure of expectation. I have worked at bigger clubs than Newcastle and expectation you can live with.

"It is everything else you have to put up with. It is a very difficult job."

Souness also revealed that prospective Newcastle owner Mike Ashley must be ready to dig deep to finance any push for UEFA Champions League qualification.

He added: "(Ashley) is obviously a very wealthy individual, but success will depend on how much money he is prepared to spend.

"During my time at Newcastle and Glenn Roeder's time we had money to spend, but it was to tart the team up, not to build a team.

"It will need big money to bridge that gap into the top four because it is an enormous gap. The top four are so far away from everyone else at the moment.

"It's a very, very difficult job. This is a big football club with big problems."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"During my time at Newcastle and Glenn Roeder's time we had money to spend, but it was to tart the team up, not to build a team.

How much money did he have to spend to "tart the team up"?

He's right it is a club that's had problems, and having that twat as manager was still the biggest one ever!

You won't hear Roeder coming out with this kind of stuff. Souness had enough of a squad and enough money to spend to have done very well in the league, playing decent football, but he's shite so he didn't.

And i can assure him that we "didn't enjoy his time up here" either!

bitter twat tbh

True enough but he's not wrong

I think he's talking shit tbh. He inherited a side that had came 4th, 3rd and 5th in the 3 previous seasons and he's moaning about not having enough money to build a team even though he spent £50m on making us far worse than we were before.

bitter twat tbh

I think he's talking shit tbh. He inherited a side that had came 4th, 3rd and 5th in the 3 previous seasons and he's moaning about not having enough money to build a team even though he spent £50m on making us far worse than we were before.

Thats where you and PP are right about the bitterness (and the fact he's a shit manager) but he's not wrong in that we have had some serious problems in the past that are hopefully getting sorted now

bitter twat tbh

Thats where you and PP are right about the bitterness (and the fact he's a shit manager) but he's not wrong in that we have had some serious problems in the past that are hopefully getting sorted now

Well, it was his job to sort out problems. He couldn't do it and rather created even more problems while hiding behind lame excuses as he still does. Total lack of self-criticism. First of all it wasn't the club's fault, but the tosser's own incapability that made him fail.

"It will need big money to bridge that gap into the top four because it is an enormous gap. The top four are so far away from everyone else at the moment.

There wasn't much of gap when you were appointed you fucking cock.

bitter twat tbh

Hitting the nail on the head there Alex, he inherited a team comfortabley in the top 4-5, had £50m and knackered the team beyond recognition - Souness is a complete clown with no credibility what-so-ever. Fecking scumbag tbh.