Barton: Deal done !

khay

The 24-year-old agreed his £5.5million move to St James' Park last week, but a row over a £300,000 pay-off to which he was contractually entitled if he was sold without asking for a transfer has prevented the deal going through.

Barton's agent Willie McKay has referred the matter to the Professional Footballers' Association with City adamant that they will not pay because he was not forced out of the club.

Allardyce is being forced to play a waiting game, but has urged the Eastlands hierarchy to resolve the issue.

He told the Manchester Evening News: "They are out of order. This is a private matter, a confidential issue that should not have been made public. I'm flabbergasted and want the situation resolved.

"I am just trying as Newcastle manager to secure a player of this kind and quality and the deal has been held up.

"I cannot understand it because City didn't pay anything for this player as he came through the youth system and are selling him for over £5million.

"It's not really for me to comment. All I know is that this is a matter for Joey to sort out and I hope it is resolved as it has stopped him putting pen to paper."

Barton travelled to Tyneside last week to discuss his proposed move after both the Magpies and West Ham agreed a fee with City.

He was so impressed with what he heard and saw after meeting Allardyce, chairman Freddy Shepherd and prospective new owner Mike Ashley that he decided within hours to head for Newcastle without even talking to the Hammers.

However, although everything else is agreed, the outstanding payment, although unlikely to scupper the deal, has held things up.

Indeed, striker Mark Viduka, who met Newcastle officials in London a few days later, tied up his move within hours.

Barton was suspended by City at the end of last season following a training ground incident involving team-mate Ousmane Dabo which left his future in doubt.

However, Allardyce is confident he can harness the player to get the best out of him on the field.

He said: "I found Joey a very bright person who wants to develop his game.

"He is very positive, well-spoken and focused and wants to win silverware with Newcastle and develop his international career."

The 24-year-old agreed his £5.5million move to St James' Park last week, but a row over a £300,000 pay-off to which he was contractually entitled if he was sold without asking for a transfer has prevented the deal going through.

Barton's agent Willie McKay has referred the matter to the Professional Footballers' Association with City adamant that they will not pay because he was not forced out of the club.

Allardyce is being forced to play a waiting game, but has urged the Eastlands hierarchy to resolve the issue.

He told the Manchester Evening News: "They are out of order. This is a private matter, a confidential issue that should not have been made public. I'm flabbergasted and want the situation resolved.

"I am just trying as Newcastle manager to secure a player of this kind and quality and the deal has been held up.

"I cannot understand it because City didn't pay anything for this player as he came through the youth system and are selling him for over £5million.

"It's not really for me to comment. All I know is that this is a matter for Joey to sort out and I hope it is resolved as it has stopped him putting pen to paper."

Barton travelled to Tyneside last week to discuss his proposed move after both the Magpies and West Ham agreed a fee with City.

He was so impressed with what he heard and saw after meeting Allardyce, chairman Freddy Shepherd and prospective new owner Mike Ashley that he decided within hours to head for Newcastle without even talking to the Hammers.

However, although everything else is agreed, the outstanding payment, although unlikely to scupper the deal, has held things up.

Indeed, striker Mark Viduka, who met Newcastle officials in London a few days later, tied up his move within hours.

Barton was suspended by City at the end of last season following a training ground incident involving team-mate Ousmane Dabo which left his future in doubt.

However, Allardyce is confident he can harness the player to get the best out of him on the field.

He said: "I found Joey a very bright person who wants to develop his game.

"He is very positive, well-spoken and focused and wants to win silverware with Newcastle and develop his international career."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...2227225,00.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how Barton can be entitiled to a loyalty payment and why he is kicking such a fuss over 300 grand when he will earn 20 times that here.

I like Barton as a player but personally I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole with his baggage, stories like this aren't going to change my mind about him.

I fail to see how Barton can be entitiled to a loyalty payment and why he is kicking such a fuss over 300 grand when he will earn 20 times that here.

I like Barton as a player but personally I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole with his baggage, stories like this aren't going to change my mind about him.

Aye, if he's that determined to leave and come here etc.... Good player though, I agree there too.

The sums involved are irrelevant imo.

If something is in a contract then it should be adhered to - unless it is a mutual decision to waive it. Why let Citeh off paying something they owe a player??

Given his behaviour I don't think he has any right to ask for a "loyalty" bonus, after his actions it was obvious that he could never play for the club again and so forced himself into a transfer.

The sums involved are irrelevant imo.

If something is in a contract then it should be adhered to - unless it is a mutual decision to waive it. Why let Citeh off paying something they owe a player??

What he said.

I originally thought Barton was just being a pain in the arse but if City are contractually obliged to give him said cash then I can see why he's sticking.

City are in the shit financially i reckon.

We can but hope! ;)

EDIT: and if only we could snatch Micah Richards off them as well. Tell them that if we get Richards, we will pay Barton his wedge - deal :D

Edited by snakehips

my understanding is thus

Barton feels hes owed £300k as a loyalty bonus because he didnt request a transfer

City are saying that by barton asking for permission to speak to newcastle after city had accepted the £5.5mill offer that barton had effectively asked for a transfer

This is just down to interpretation of contracts (and I've not read bartons contract) but it certanly seems disingenuous of city in my mind

Edited by sandman02uk

If I was running Man City I'd not give up £300k unless I had to...if there's doubt I don't see why they should make it easier for us.

If it were Dyer moving elsewhere and demanding a similar amount, we'd all be telling him to get fucked.

If I was running Man City I'd not give up £300k unless I had to...if there's doubt I don't see why they should make it easier for us.

If it were Dyer moving elsewhere and demanding a similar amount, we'd all be telling him to get fucked.

Good point re: Dyer. After what Barton has done to City, he is taking the piss, even if technically he's entitled to this money.

Barton feels hes owed £300k as a loyalty bonus because he didnt request a transfer

City are saying that by barton asking for permission to speak to newcastle after city had accepted the £5.5mill offer that barton had effectively asked for a transfer

This is just down to interpretation of contracts

In situations like this it is usually comes down to the letter of 'intent' to be determined by a neutral party.

Why don't Citeh just fine him £300,000 for what he did?

The Professional Footballers' Association is to intervene in the row between Newcastle and Manchester City over Joey Barton's proposed transfer.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is furious that the £5.5m switch has stalled over a £300,000 fee possibly owed to Barton.

"I've spoken to City's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, Joey and his agent and I intend talking to Sam," said PFA official Mick McGuire.

"We're looking for an amicable conclusion," he added.

Barton, 24, is contractually entitled to the pay-off if he leaves the club without requesting a transfer, but City are refusing to give him the money because they say he was not forced to leave.

Allardyce is angry with City for the hold-up and said: "They're out of order. I'm flabbergasted and want the situation resolved.

"I cannot understand it because City didn't pay anything for this player as he came through the youth system and they are selling him for over £5m.

"All I know is that this is a matter for Joey to sort out and I hope it is resolved as it has stopped him putting pen to paper."

West Ham also agreed a fee with City for the England midfielder but after meeting Newcastle officials last month, Barton decided to move to St James' Park.

Why don't Citeh just fine him £300,000 for what he did?

The Professional Footballers' Association is to intervene in the row between Newcastle and Manchester City over Joey Barton's proposed transfer.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is furious that the £5.5m switch has stalled over a £300,000 fee possibly owed to Barton.

"I've spoken to City's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, Joey and his agent and I intend talking to Sam," said PFA official Mick McGuire.

"We're looking for an amicable conclusion," he added.

Barton, 24, is contractually entitled to the pay-off if he leaves the club without requesting a transfer, but City are refusing to give him the money because they say he was not forced to leave.

Allardyce is angry with City for the hold-up and said: "They're out of order. I'm flabbergasted and want the situation resolved.

"I cannot understand it because City didn't pay anything for this player as he came through the youth system and they are selling him for over £5m.

"All I know is that this is a matter for Joey to sort out and I hope it is resolved as it has stopped him putting pen to paper."

West Ham also agreed a fee with City for the England midfielder but after meeting Newcastle officials last month, Barton decided to move to St James' Park.

Two weeks wages is the maximum fine.

I'd imagine he was fined after the beating and was told to sit out the season, which probably saved them money too.

That's a good point above re : Dyer. If I was a Citeh fan, you'd want shot of the scumbag and get the cash in so you can replace him and Distin ASAP. (and also get a manager!)

Im with Barton on this one. Its in his contract, the sum is irrelevant, its not like a city cant afford it. His best bet would be to come out and say 'Im giving it to charity'. Then City look like cunts for not paying up.

Im with Barton on this one. Its in his contract, the sum is irrelevant, its not like a city cant afford it. His best bet would be to come out and say 'Im giving it to charity'. Then City look like cunts for not paying up.

But we've got to assume he wants the money for himself therefore when it's revealed he hasn't given it to charity then he'll look like a tit.

Probably your best ever post :lol: Don't overdo it!! :D

Sam Allardyce is hopeful Newcastle United are finally close to securing the signature of Joey Barton.

Newcastle have agreed a deal with Manchester City for the midfielder, but the move has hit a snag due to a wrangle over a pay-off.

Barton is demanding a £300,000 sum as part of a clause in his contract, but City do not feel the figure should be paid.

Allardyce is continuing his efforts to recruit new faces and is optimistic that Barton will soon be confirmed as a Magpies player.

"I'm not quite sure yet," Allardyce told Sky Sports News when asked when the transfer would be completed.

"Joey has gone on holiday, but I hope to try and tie it off today and finally make sure he is going to be a Newcastle player for next year.

"We have got Mark Viduka and this week we have been trying hard, but we haven't pulled anything off yet.

"I need to concentrate on defenders, we're very short in that area, so we will try and strengthen that department.

"I'd like to bring in at least a couple of centre-halves, a left-back and maybe a right-back to have enough players defensively minded to improve the Newcastle clean sheet record.

"That's going to be very important. We've got goalscorers at the other end, but we must sort out the defensive side of the team to make sure when we score goals we get the three points."