José Enrique

Baggio

The only player id of kept which we sold after relegation would of been habib beye.

I think had we of stayed up many of them would of stayed on picking up their unwarranted wages for another year.

Yes relegation hit the club financially but not as hard as we had thought after seeing the accounts.

My point about going down is it just forced us to act and get rid of the players not worthy of the shirt, it gave players like Carroll, nolan, Colo, Enrique and gutierrez a platform to find confidence and build form upon. Of course I'd rather we didn't have relegation on our record but it was necessary to reset the balance. To re focus and to build our club back up from scratch almost.

Top 10 finish this season is a massive step in the right direction and considering we were at one point close to pushing for Europe had we had a few more qualities options within the squad. Quality options which I think will be brought in through the summer. So again that would be another step in the right direction.

Next season we will also have a fully fit Ben arfa and gosling and hopefully a fit kadar and vuckic with the 1st team squad too.

If we can build our squad with blowing out on trophy signing, progress steadily in the league AND become more financially sound then that to me is progression. Those good times will come about again we've just got to be patient.

:(

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

Everyone deserves a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th chance.

One thing though, while CT might talk a load of guff at times he's actually said he's holding off buying a ST until he sees whether Ashley is going to spend any money this summer. Leazes, on the other hand, has bought another 3 years upfront. Now I don't have a problem with him for doing that and I'm not about to criticise anyone who supports the club, but when we've got so many fans who are prepared to stay loyal to the club despite their feelings for Ashley then it's not difficult to see when the fat man feels he get away with behaving in this manner.

I take your point.

I've been away from the area a long time, and I've kept up my support for the club as much as possible, living in Scarborough wasn't too much of a problem. Before that though, I missed more home games than I wanted but made it up with the away games. There was a brief period when I missed quite a lot and couldn't do much about it but also I admit that during the years approx 1978-81 was a period where my enthusiasm drained, not really because it was a bad time, but circumstances and the way I led my life, it wasn't a deliberate boycott but emotionally I was detached because I was away and also the club had seriously pissed me off after losing Gordon Lee, and the fallout of it ie the McGarry years, and the subsequent realisation that the club was utterly shite from top to bottom.

I'm back now though, at least for now, if I am back for the whole 3 years, then it is too good a reduction in the price to turn down, and I have a good seat I don't want to lose. Having said that, one of my mates says that there will be plenty of spare seats and so if I give it up and the team picks up or Ashley sells there will be plenty of other good seats, so that made that particular point of view irrelevant, because of course he is right.

On the other hand, if I left the area again, I may not really be able to travel all the time, it depends, I would likely be too far away and I'm getting older, and I must admit the prospect of watching the team decline back to the on the field state it was in under the McKeags and Westwoods is something I don't know if I can stomach. So if this happens I will sell my ticket. So I'm buying it and playing everything by ear. If I stay back in the area I will see the 3 years through, whatever happens.

Each to their own. Lots of people can't get to games for different genuine reasons, the only thing that pisses me off, is those who were attracted back to the club by the previous regime [there I've said it] who have now either pissed off now they have gone and are criticising them, or have pissed off and won't admit it.

I also think those who are backing Mike Ashley quite fervently should be doing their best to back him or shut up. He will need it. I genuinely think the club is in decline, it can't be anything else when the expectations have been lowered, the revenues are diving, our best players see their careers elsewhere and they attempt to lie through their back teeth to us all the time about their intentions, and worst of all, piss off their managers. The one thing you must do is back your manager, he is your most senior employee !!!!

Back him or sack him if you lose confidence in him, but you MUST back him as best you can. Not one of the managers appointed by Mike Ashley has been backed and given a fair crack of the whip in line with what should be the expectations of this football club.

:(

that's it right there in a nutshell. fuck all the bullshit toonpack is spouting about us being grateful for him balancing the books. he's a billionaire; if he gave a shit about the club he he could have sorted the finances out while giving his manager 20m net or so a season just to make sure we did alright on the pitch.

Edited by Dr Gloom

that's it right there in a nutshell. fuck all the bullshit toonpack is spouting about us being grateful for him balancing the books. he's a billionaire; if he gave a shit about the club he he could have sorted the finances out while giving his manager 20m net or so a season just to make sure we did alright on the pitch.

Laughable :(

i think your defence of ashley is laughable. in fact, i'm wondering whether you really are a toon fan or a WUM given i've never met a single supporter that shares your view. we've got the shittest billionaire ever to run a football club.

i think your defence of ashley is laughable. in fact, i'm wondering whether you really are a toon fan or a WUM given i've never met a single supporter that shares your view. we've got the shittest billionaire ever to run a football club.

Bold bit. You could be right, but my whole opinion is based on the premis that, thank God we have a billionaire, thick/shit or not.

It's sad really, to be honest the real majority "hate" for Ashley stems not from his percieved "lack of ambition" (which we'll see for real this summer, or not) it's all because he fucked off "the Messiah" and if people where honest with themsleves, they'd admit it. (I don't include LM in that BTW, he's in firmly the "lack of ambition/trust" camp and is too grown up for the worship).

The fact he has had to "cut the cloth" (or has chosen to) is just another stick to beat him with because "he upset Kevin". The reality is he's ploughed a HUGE amount of his own money in, yet it's still not enough :razz:

Edited by Toonpack

Bold bit. You could be right, but my whole opinion is based on the premis that, thank God we have a billionaire, thick/shit or not.

It's sad really, to be honest the real majority "hate" for Ashley stems not from his percieved "lack of ambition" (which we'll see for real this summer, or not) it's all because he fucked off "the Messiah" and if people where honest with themsleves, they'd admit it. (I don't include LM in that BTW, he's in firmly the "lack of ambition/trust" camp and is too grown up for the worship).

The fact he has had to "cut the cloth" (or has chosen to) is just another stick to beat him with because "he upset Kevin". The reality is he's ploughed a HUGE amount of his own money in, yet it's still not enough :razz:

I've been on here since June 2006, and I can safely say that is in the 5 wankest most clueless posts I've seen in my time here. You should stick to writing racist posts about muslims mate.

The Keegan thing is just one, in a absolute Pandora's Box of decisions some of which are so bad, are almost based on contempt. Even the L7 thing has majorly pissed me off, and we ALL know the reasons why he's done it. You are clueless mate, I wish you didn't post here.

I've been on here since June 2006, and I can safely say that is in the 5 wankest most clueless posts I've seen in my time here. You should stick to writing racist posts about muslims mate.

The Keegan thing is just one, in a absolute Pandora's Box of decisions some of which are so bad, are almost based on contempt. Even the L7 thing has majorly pissed me off, and we ALL know the reasons why he's done it. You are clueless mate, I wish you didn't post here.

When do I do that ???

Why would that be ?? Oh because he gets abuse, well I'd do the same, in fact if I was him, I'd have pissed off long ago and written it off as a bad job.

The Keegan "thing" was the start and everything has been a "conspiracy of evil" ever since, it's pathetic man.

No-one thinks he's wonderfull, least of all me, BUT I can at least understand what's been going on.

Edited by Toonpack

Thats bollocks or at least it is in my case.

I hate him because in almost everything he does I can see the motive, the selling of players at the last minute to avoid buying replacements. The renaming of the club to SD as a "favour" to showcase the NUFC brand. The lies and the requirement for our chairman to spout on about how the great Mike has saved us time and time again. The dragging of our club down to his tacky level, chairman running naked over the pitch for a bet.

More importantly though, I hate him and his cronies for turning us into the laughing stock of the premiership, if not the country.

Thats bollocks or at least it is in my case.

I hate him because in almost everything he does I can see the motive, the selling of players at the last minute to avoid buying replacements. The renaming of the club to SD as a "favour" to showcase the NUFC brand. The lies and the requirement for our chairman to spout on about how the great Mike has saved us time and time again. The dragging of our club down to his tacky level, chairman running naked over the pitch for a bet.

More importantly though, I hate him and his cronies for turning us into the laughing stock of the premiership, if not the country.

Without someone of his ilk (wealth) we were screwed.

Laughing stock?, for Kinnear I suppose, we've been there before (worse IMO), with fake Sheiks. Boycoutts and the Cockney Mafia stuff was far more cringeworthy on a national basis IMO.

He's not good by any stretch, but he's not as bad as painted (as yet) and despite his empire of evil, if he'd chucked in another £20 mill in a year all would have been forgiven !!!

Admittedly, my memory is pretty shit, but I don't think Ashley has done too much wrong since relegation. Hughton wasn't right, most on here agreed the Carrol sale was a no brainer.

I would have liked to see some of the deals they were involved in in January come off, like Larson however these things are still minor in the grand scheme of things for me.

I appreciate the singing boys will be pissed off but as Tooner says, most of us as owners may have done the same.

We're about to break even and look as though we could finish in the top 10.

Definitely progress and hopefully a summer to look forward too.

Admittedly, my memory is pretty shit, but I don't think Ashley has done too much wrong since relegation.

You are joking, right? :(

• Sacking Hughton
  • Suggesting Dekka's mate Pardew as an improvement
  • Handing Dekka's mate a ridiculously long contract
  • Not finding fit to offer a similarly lucrative contract to key players, particularly Barton
  • Selling Carroll at the last minute without a replacement
  • Attempting to sell naming rights to the ground
  • Slapping his own logo on the ground which was clearly his intention all along
  • Slapping the same logo on every bit of commercial space he can find inside the club
  • Covering the gallowgate roof in it!
  • Refusing to acknowledge or even comment on the findings of the Keegan tribunal
  • Dispensing with Shearer's services by way of simply never calling him back!
  • Having Dekka constantly ramming down our throats how much Mike has given us and we should be forever grateful

Wish they'd do us all a favour and fuck right off. I agree with Peasepud too - we're a massive laughing stock because of them.

Admittedly, my memory is pretty shit, but I don't think Ashley has done too much wrong since relegation.

You are joking, right? :(

• Sacking Hughton
  • Suggesting Dekka's mate Pardew as an improvement
  • Handing Dekka's mate a ridiculously long contract
  • Not finding fit to offer a similarly lucrative contract to key players, particularly Barton
  • Selling Carroll at the last minute without a replacement
  • Attempting to sell naming rights to the ground
  • Slapping his own logo on the ground which was clearly his intention all along
  • Slapping the same logo on every bit of commercial space he can find inside the club
  • Covering the gallowgate roof in it!
  • Refusing to acknowledge or even comment on the findings of the Keegan tribunal
  • Dispensing with Shearer's services by way of simply never calling him back!
  • Having Dekka constantly ramming down our throats how much Mike has given us and we should be forever grateful

Wish they'd do us all a favour and fuck right off. I agree with Peasepud too - we're a massive laughing stock because of them.

Aye, but apart from that, what has he done wrong?

reasons why we hate mike ashley off the top of my head - feel free to add to this list

appointing dennis wise as a director of football, allowing him to totally undermine keegan

selling milner against keegan's wishes then replacing him xisco and gonzales - players the manager didn't want and who wise had scouted by 'watching him on youtube'

appointing joe kinnear, after keegan walked - a man who last worked in football in 1925 and who most people thought was dead

his treatment of alan shearer

the humbug away strip. would the previous regime have allowed our players to walk out representing the club looking so ridiculous?

trying to rename the ground sportsdirect.com@st james park

the god awful branding on the top of the gallowgate end

sacking chris hughton when he was doing a brilliant job under difficult circumstances

appointing alan pardew, a man that no fan wanted and no other premier league club would touch

selling andy carroll on the final day of the transfer window when it was clear we needed to bring a new striker in, not sell our best one.

replacing caroll with shefki kuqi.

shafting the boys who sit in the singing section in level 7

selling t shirts of sterotypical fat geordies in the club shop. just liek the humbug away kit, i suspect he's laughing at us.

not offering improved contracts to the players that stuck with us after relegation and performed well this season

not investing any of his cash on players. to date the club has made a net profit of 50m on player sales while ashley hasd been in charge. if he keeps this up we will go down again.

wake up toonpack....it clearly isn't just about keegan

Edited by Dr Gloom

The Toon boss (Anal Pardew) told the Chronicle: “There’s definitely no deal between the clubs – 100%.

“He’s under contract here until next summer. And we hope to open talks on a new deal as soon as possible.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1JP0v1Lbd

That makes it certain then, Jose's away.

The nail in the coffin will be if there is any sort of negative reaction from the supporters towards Enrique at the next home game. Like I mentioned earlier the support are one of the only two reasons that could potentially keep him here so if they go any miniscule chance of him re-signing will also.

whats the odds that Enrique will now be "a treacherous bastard"

Most of those point come after the hatred for Ashley though so you cant say they are the cause. Hughton/Pardew/Shearer/re-naming the ground/singing section are all the last 9 months in which time, i would say hatred for Ashley has calmed somewhat.

The FCBGOOOC chants were gone by the time most of the events you describe happened.

I agree that all the hatred stems from Keegan's departure and this idea of us being a laughing stock is a. not backed up by serious amounts of copy when Hughton was in charge and b. it being related to relegation.

That season and all the events associated with it are the reason he is hated. Keegan, Kinnear, Milner, N'Zogbia and relegation. The singing section and Carroll sale/non-replacement stand out for me as pretty contemptuous since then but if you want to describe the causes of hate, its the events that precede it that are surely the most pertinent.

the humbug away strip. would the previous regime have allowed our players to walk out representing the club looking so ridiculous?

I actually quite liked that by the end :(

Seriously TP - I've backed you a little bit as I think there is something to the idea that having a rich owner to underwrite debt isn't necessarily a bad thing but going on to defend him on any other level is completely nonsensical.

I can see this summer being similar to the summer we lost Gazza. . Especially with the Enrique money burning a hole on top of the Carroll money. At best we will survive a tight relegation scrap next season, which will only be delaying the inevitable anyway.

A few half decent average signings, like Larsson, maybe 5 or 6, to replace the 2 gone. Llambias will say its "good business" ie 2 commodities out and 6 commodoties in and money in the bank etc, however the players who come in will only be exactly that, half decent. Manager forced to attempt to patch up a team without being allowed to tempt the real quality players. Out of 5 or 6, he might hit the jackpot once, but 4 of them will not really be up to it and nowhere near the quality of those lost. Its the law of averages.

Hence, the money is gone [or however much is allowed to the manager], or the board say it has gone when we all add up the figures and they don't add up, and we have a worse team, despite the optimisim prior to the kick off in August among some that we have a "bigger squad".

The lesson is that it is quality that counts. Most teams have a couple of plodders in terms of the rest of the team ie squad players, even the best ones, but the one sure fact is that if you have aspirations to be a top 6 team you need at least 3 players, a few more and you finish higher, who are absolutely top notch, top class, who play and stay fit most of the time. For that you usually have to pay big bucks, Liverpool are paying us big bucks for Carroll and Enrique because they want to get back into the top 4 and are not happy they have slipped out of it.

Willie McFaul is an absolutely smashing guy, grade 1, one of the best of all the Fairs Cup players which is saying something, and his heart was totally in the club, but from when he took over the job as manager he was forced to sell Beardsley and Gazza and try to replace them. He performed a miracle finishing 8th after losing Beardsley, but it couldn't last and despite the optimism before the first game of the season in August 1988, I knew we would have a real fight to stay up that season because losing Gazza too was just one step too far.

I can see this summer being similar to the summer we lost Gazza. . Especially with the Enrique money burning a hole on top of the Carroll money. At best we will survive a tight relegation scrap next season, which will only be delaying the inevitable anyway.

A few half decent average signings, like Larsson, maybe 5 or 6, to replace the 2 gone. Llambias will say its "good business" ie 2 commodities out and 6 commodoties in and money in the bank etc, however the players who come in will only be exactly that, half decent. Manager forced to attempt to patch up a team without being allowed to tempt the real quality players. Out of 5 or 6, he might hit the jackpot once, but 4 of them will not really be up to it and nowhere near the quality of those lost. Its the law of averages.

Hence, the money is gone [or however much is allowed to the manager], or the board say it has gone when we all add up the figures and they don't add up, and we have a worse team, despite the optimisim prior to the kick off in August among some that we have a "bigger squad".

The lesson is that it is quality that counts. Most teams have a couple of plodders in terms of the rest of the team ie squad players, even the best ones, but the one sure fact is that if you have aspirations to be a top 6 team you need at least 3 players, a few more and you finish higher, who are absolutely top notch, top class, who play and stay fit most of the time. For that you usually have to pay big bucks, Liverpool are paying us big bucks for Carroll and Enrique because they want to get back into the top 4 and are not happy they have slipped out of it.

Willie McFaul is an absolutely smashing guy, grade 1, one of the best of all the Fairs Cup players which is saying something, and his heart was totally in the club, but from when he took over the job as manager he was forced to sell Beardsley and Gazza and try to replace them. He performed a miracle finishing 8th after losing Beardsley, but it couldn't last and despite the optimism before the first game of the season in August 1988, I knew we would have a real fight to stay up that season because losing Gazza too was just one step too far.

yup, agree with all of that. obviously i hope that the owners prove us wrong but they've done nowt so far to suggest the next transfer window won't be another massive let down.

to be fair, i don't think any of us even expect all of the carroll money to be reinvested, just some of it. if we did sell enrique for 10-15m say in addition to the 35m we got for carroll, we could invest half of that and extend contracts for the likes of barton and nolan and we'd have a decent squad. none of us really expect them to go out and spunk 50m on players. the sad thing is i can't see him spending even £10m net, despite all the cash they've made on players recently.

For that you usually have to pay big bucks, Liverpool are paying us big bucks for Carroll and Enrique because they want to get back into the top 4 and are not happy they have slipped out of it.

Again, they sold for big bucks (Torres and Babel) to be able to pay big bucks (for Carroll and Suarez).

Which is the fundamental point here. Liverpool's owners more or less immediately reinvested the money they received. Selling Carroll so late in the day gives our lot an excuse for not reinvesting in the previous window but if we want to be even close to the level of a side like Liverpool we need to reinvest in decent playing staff like they have done.

I'd still like to think that will be the case for us. You can't take anything for granted with this football club.

Edited by Tecato

Mentioning McFaul it's worth pointing out that back in those days, there was a bit of an 'old boys reunion' who used to unofficially look after the club - people who had NUFC long in their heart and therefore cared for a club that was piss-poorly run buy a conglomerate of average local businessmen looking for a status symbol.

Along with McFaul we had Joe Harvey still involved at some level - wasn't he scouting, particularly with the younger generation? Milburn acted as an unpaid mentor and from what I understand often was the one in the dressing room giving a pre-match teamtalk. And Supermac acted as agent for the signing of Mirandinha! Would never be allowed in these days due to conflict of interests but blokes like that, who had history with the club busted their guts mainly for no benefit than wanting to see their club become successful.

Today we've got Ashley, Llambias & Pardew. Shame the likes of Shearer, Rob Lee, Gascoigne, Keegan, Beardsley are not available to reprise similar roles but then there's no way any of them would be allowed by the 3 stoogies. And yes I know Pedro is employed by the club - that's not what I'm getting at.

For that you usually have to pay big bucks, Liverpool are paying us big bucks for Carroll and Enrique because they want to get back into the top 4 and are not happy they have slipped out of it.

Again, they sold for big bucks (Torres and Babel) to be able to pay big bucks (for Carroll and Suarez).

Which is the fundamental point here. Liverpool's owners more or less immediately reinvested the money they received. Selling Carroll so late in the day gives our lot an excuse for not reinvesting in the previous window but if we want to be even close to the level of a side like Liverpool we need to reinvest in decent playing staff like they have done.

I'd still like to think that will be the case for us. You can't take anything for granted with this football club.

Liverpool only agreed to sell Torres when they knew they had Carroll in the bag - that's crystal clear. Shame we couldn't have employed an equally simple tactic and that's what I have issue with. They had no intention of doing so and I'm not convinced they will this summer either.

If Enrique goes to Liverpool for £15 then that's the entire Torres money in our coffers. What proportion of £50m would you deem reasonable to re-invest? 70% of it should be set aside for new purchases IMO.

Liverpool only agreed to sell Torres when they knew they had Carroll in the bag - that's crystal clear. Shame we couldn't have employed an equally simple tactic and that's what I have issue with. They had no intention of doing so and I'm not convinced they will this summer either.

Indeed. As has been said before, we should've told Chelsea that unless we got Sturridge then we weren't letting Carroll go and so Liverpool wouldn't be letting Torres go.

Though that may have taken a little bit of foresight.

Indeed. As has been said before, we should've told Chelsea that unless we got Sturridge then we weren't letting Carroll go and so Liverpool wouldn't be letting Torres go.

Though that may have taken a little bit of foresight.

very good player.