Owen, Cacapa, Dyer and Ameobi to play for reserves tonight

MICHAEL Owen has been named in a very strong Newcastle United line-up for the match against Newcastle Blue Star at Kingston Park on Monday night (kick-off 7.45pm).

Despite being officially classed as a Reserve fixture, coach Lee Clark not only has the Magpies' record signing at his disposal, but also the likes of Claudio Cacapa, Kieron Dyer and Shola Ameobi.

Toon boss Sam Allardyce is keen to see Owen in particular get some match practice. The striker netted in the opening summer friendly at Hartlepool, but had been sidelined since with a thigh problem.

Newcastle are set to line up as follows: Fraser Forster, Paul Huntington, Peter Ramage, Claudio Cacapa, David Edgar, Kazenga LuaLua, Kieron Dyer, Matty Pattison, James Troisi, Shola Ameobi, Michael Owen.

Subs: TBC.

My guess is Shola to run into Owen standing on his toe and giving him a hair line fracture.

I'd prefer Shola to run into a brick wall and doing his knee, requiring a reconstruction which would see him conveniently out for the season, if not forever!

My guess is Shola to run into Owen standing on his toe and giving him a hair line fracture.

I'd prefer Shola to run into a brick wall and doing his knee, requiring a reconstruction which would see him conveniently out for the season, if not forever!

Bit harsh that, it's not his fault he keeps getting picked is it?

I'd prefer Shola to run into a brick wall ..............................................................................

C'mon man, that could damage some old geezers garden wall, be considerate. :lol:

To be fair, he'd probably miss.

SHOLA Ameobi bagged a brace as a strong Newcastle United Reserve side ran-out 2-0 winners against local non-league outfit Newcastle Blue Star.

Lee Clark included Michael Owen in his starting eleven as the striker made his comeback from a niggling thigh injury which kept him out of the Magpies 3-1 opening day victory at Bolton.

Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa made his first appearance in black and white colours, while Kieron Dyer got a run-out in United's midfield.

But it was skipper Ameobi who stole the show, his first goal coming right on the stroke of half-time as he fired home from a narrow angle after being slipped in by Kazenga LuaLua.

And the 25-year-old frontman had his second just after the hour with a cool finish from inside the area.

Owen came through 60 minutes of Monday's game and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet, twice seeing efforts cleared off the line by former Magpies youngsters - Ben Webster denying the England man in the opening period before Chris Carr got back in the nick of time to hack clear just after the break.

NUFC: Fraser Forster, Paul Huntington, David Edgar, Matty Pattison, Peter Ramage, Claudio Cacapa, James Troisi, Kieron Dyer, Shola Ameobi, Michael Owen, Kazenga LuaLua

Subs: Alex Francis, Callum Morris, Darren Lough, Jonny Godsmark, Frank Wiafe Danquah

Kazenga Lua Lua is a star in the making.

Edgar miles better than Ramage again.

Cacapa decent but untested.

Owen disinterested.

Troisi flatters to deceive.

I'm hoping Kazenga does make it as it'd be great to have a genuine flair player break into the team and excite the fans, something we haven't had for a long time.

I've liked what i've seen of Edgar, looks the most intelligent and calm of the young defenders when he's played.