Newcastle United VS Everton FC

Tom

tbh honest Ive stood up for him in the past because hes shown flashes of brilliance but about 20 minutes in I actually thought (and I shit ye not) "fuck me Gemmills right, he is shite!"

Smith meanwhile was starting to look like the player he is, some fantastic first touches which would have resulted in goals had the likes of Owen been on the end of them.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing about Owen being back fit is that we can hopefully stop starting games with Martins up front. His touch was nothing short of a disgrace as usual (but then what's new?), and that one on one that he missed (actually put wide btw, didn't even make the keeper work) - sublime. In the second half, someone threaded a lovely ball through to him, and his first touch was a pass to an Everton defender 3 yards away. The lad is not good enough, and surely it's beginning to sink in with those who have defended him as well now? Surely?

Michael Owen on the other hand is different class. :D Class to see him back and scoring.

Thought Smith had a decent game up front today as well.

And if the Chronicle doesn't go with Chip Buttie as their headline tomorrow, there's something not right.

:razz:

Thought Smith had a decent game up front today as well.

I know Smith hasn't been as good as I would have liked being an advocate of his signing so I think the best thing that could happen is that he is considered our 4th (if not 3rd ahead of Martins) striker and is best forgotten as a midfielder. The latter probably dependent on reinforcements in that area in January.

Don't really care what happens to Shola in that context.

He isnt "back fit" per se though is he. Owen is an injury waiting to happen, and will continue to get injuries here and there for the rest of his career keeping him out of games.

Will he really? When we signed him I had my reservations because of his persistent muscle injuries. But those injuries that kept him out for more or less 18 months were a broken foot and a cruciate ligament damage. I'd consider those to be just freak injuries. So for me it is more about getting him clear of "normal" injuries. This will probably more a task for the new medical experts at the club.

I think we're agreeing there... that's what I meant the niggly ones just like he's already had two or three this season since August.

There's no point making big plans around Owen. Which is why he is so great for England, they only need him for a handful of games a year. We just have to make the most of him when we can.

Haven't read the thread yet, just wondering if acrossthepond has done his critique of Owen and Martins performances today yet? :razz:

Missed the game, my site wasn't carrying it for whatever ridiculous reason.

Getting a little sick of these ad hominem attacks tbh, boils down to "I don't like Owen, you lot don't like Martins", no need to go after me for it you load of wankers. Certain admins ought to be embarassed I think.

Haven't read the thread yet, just wondering if acrossthepond has done his critique of Owen and Martins performances today yet? :D

Getting a little sick of these ad hominem attacks tbh, boils down to "I don't like Owen, you lot don't like Martins", no need to go after me for it you load of wankers. Certain admins ought to be embarassed I think.

:razz:

Haven't read the thread yet, just wondering if acrossthepond has done his critique of Owen and Martins performances today yet? :razz:

See the irony (couple of levels)?

Rather looks like you can dish out with anti-Owen posts, but can't take the stick when it backfires tbh.

See the irony (couple of levels)?

Not really ad hominem though. What I'm referring to is the loads of "fuck off" "you fucking idiot", etc etc without providing any kind of counter-argument. When Gemmill tells me I've no footballing knowledge, that's one thing, since he's providing evidence to support that statement. When I post and it's followed up by someone going "fuck off yank" who gives no indication he's read what I wrote, that's no good. What kind of forum is it when there's exactly one "correct" view and anything else is to be ridiculed? Forums are for discussion. If you disagree, go ahead and provide some facts, opinions, anything to show why what I'm saying is wrong, why I don't know what I'm on about, etc.

I don't care if everyone else thinks I'm wrong. I want them to prove it without referring to the guy behind the screen.

Tbh Emre won the game for us today, played great when he came on.

Also thought the defence played class, specially Jose Enrique.

Smith played better than he usually does.

I was at the match and all I seen was Smith getting treatment on the touchline, in the first half, what happened to him?

Edited by bawan

Think it was a clash of heads.

Was a canny game. We deserved the lead at HT and once they pulled one back it was anyones game. Though martins was causing them some problems with his movement, he had a poor game. Swapping with Owen was a natural move though I was more surprised with Emre (who I agreed should come on) for Milner. Id have though Butt having been on a yellow or Geremi who didnt have the best of games. But, shows what I know :razz: More so that when Emre scored I was shouting for him to pass left as Enrique (who had a good game) was wide open.

Good result, unlucky OG at the end for Given who palmed the ball into our goal from the underside of the bar. Ref I though had a poor game and was stopping the game at times for nowt.

Great game by Cacapa who at the moment looks like one of Sams bets buys,

That was the type of game we'd have lost last year.

Enrique really impressed me. Apart from one incident where he went all Scott Parker and lost the ball in a dangerous position he looked very good. What the fuck happened with that throw in he took in the second half though? He went to throw it to Emre, who was about 5-10 yards away and it just landed at his own feet :razz:

where are we in the league now? bbc being all Joey

9th on 14 points, 2 points off 4th.

5 points of 3rd with a game in hand...

Don't suppose anyone could upload or send me the goals? The site is down or something :razz:

On the whole Martins/Owen thing... I'd be ecstatic if Owen could stay fit for long periods, as he is without a doubt ten times the finisher Martins is.. however, I'd like to keep Martins as well and hopefully he can sort out that fucking first touch, and learn from Owen when it comes to finishing :l

A crucial win against a uefa cup spot rival, so a job well done in the end!

Liked Cacapa and Faye together even though we let in two, 1 a freak goal by the looks of it. Faye was winnign everything in the air and Cacapa is such a good reader of the game. Enrique looks impressive, calm and a good footballer but also up to the job physically, he played some well weighted intelligent balls second half.

Smith had an excellent first half playing in his favoured strikers role, Martins was at his most annoying missing the easy chance.

And the subs couldn't have worked out any better, Emre came on and injected a bit of purpose and pace to our football and scored a cracker and Owen did what he does better than most other players in the game, scoring when a chance came his way!