Kindle: Amazon's Well-Established Wireless Reading Device

khay

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Got it last week but in the middle of a long proper book so haven't used it much apart from a brief check out. I'm in the middle of a couple weeks off so haven't tested it on the journey to work yet but have started in the last couple of days to use it in bed last thing at night - my usual reading time.

I've bought 2 or 3 books and the delivery is as advertised - you click to confirm the order and within a minute you have the book. The claims about legibility are also accurate - its is pretty much like the real thing.

So far definitely so good - will update after more prolonged use.

I hate keyboards and mice now. Sooooo 20th century.

All that is true about the iPad but if you look at where innovation is this year in the tech market its in mobile OS. I mean that from a hardware perspective too, not just software. The big growth in Chinese and other far east high-tech parts suppliers is for mobiles and therefore by defintion, tablet OS parts. In 2 years, the iPad will have 200gb of storage with minimally 2gb of RAM (figure plucked out of my arse btw).

By that time HTML5 will be more prevalent too.

do without them - use recyclable paper ie a book - they also come in usefull for wiping your arse in an emergency which is more than you can do with a kindle or similar

I hate keyboards and mice now. Sooooo 20th century.

All that is true about the iPad but if you look at where innovation is this year in the tech market its in mobile OS. I mean that from a hardware perspective too, not just software. The big growth in Chinese and other far east high-tech parts suppliers is for mobiles and therefore by defintion, tablet OS parts. In 2 years, the iPad will have 200gb of storage with minimally 2gb of RAM (figure plucked out of my arse btw).

By that time HTML5 will be more prevalent too.

do without them - use recyclable paper ie a book - they also come in usefull for wiping your arse in an emergency which is more than you can do with a kindle or similar

"Floor lighting will guide you to the nearest available bog roll, in the event of no roll being available, please adopt the crash position, reach through and use your hand"

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for android's version of the iPad. It's on its way apparently.

now that I will be interested in

They've been out for ages and fraction of the price. If you do get one make sure you get a 1ghz version so you can upgrade in Oct.

Edited by Phil

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for android's version of the iPad. It's on its way apparently.

They've been out for ages and fraction of the price. If you do get one make sure you get a 1ghz version so you can upgrade in Oct.

current ones are all resistive screens though arent they?

Yeah, 10" capacitive Android's are due out between now and Nov. Hannspree's (Nov) and Malata (Sept/Oct). I think they'll launch with Android 3 just in time for Xmas.

Samsung are the first ones to the market with the Galaxy. They are doing it exclusively through phone company's though as they allow you to make calls off them. Bad move imo, I have a phone to make calls, I aint paying an extra £20 a month for a second one.

Did anyone ever get one of these?

I've ordered the new one for delivery at the end of the month as I'm currently sorting out my house and apart from boxes of old computer parts, I've realised I have too many books taking up space. I don't like to bin them as I tend to re-read them on an on-going basis.

It seems as if theres enough content out there now going by their new Kindle book store.

Just bought the wifi version for my dads 50th on the 17th. Hoping they get shipped a couple of days early!

Samsung are the first ones to the market with the Galaxy. They are doing it exclusively through phone company's though as they allow you to make calls off them. Bad move imo, I have a phone to make calls, I aint paying an extra £20 a month for a second one.

dom_mobile_4aug08_wenn_350.jpg

Yeah, 10" capacitive Android's are due out between now and Nov. Hannspree's (Nov) and Malata (Sept/Oct). I think they'll launch with Android 3 just in time for Xmas.

thats what im waiting for at least, though Id generally prefer a regular PC os on a capacitive tablet then I can actually reokace my laptop

• 4 weeks later...
500 quid for a decent ipad without e-ink or 109 for a kIndle? :(

You'll get one eventually i reckon. The way i looked at it, at home i would read a proper book, on holiday i might prefer an e-book for ease of packing. So for a few weeks a year, for essentially 4 or 5 books tops, the e-reader on the iPad will suffice. I'm also then connected to email, the internet, maps, travel guides, weather apps, games, download photos and HD video off my SLR straight to the excellent photo viewer. If i was the facebook/twitter type it would also seemlessly integrate the photos and any crap i was spouting into those two through flipboard. For a holiday, with a wi-fi or 3G connection, its everything you need in one.

What does this e-ink look like then?

And you're right, I probably will end up getting one. Nearly convinced her to get me one as an engagement present (yeah, I got engaged bitchezzzz!), but no joy. Don't think I'd read a book on one though.