Kindle: Amazon's Well-Established Wireless Reading Device

khay

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemmill, Id be much obliged if you could post a detailed description of the finances involved, including cost per head, number of attendees from each family and any financial query's you may harbor personally.

Cheers.

Well done :(

And you're right, I probably will end up getting one. Nearly convinced her to get me one as an engagement present (yeah, I got engaged bitchezzzz!), but no joy. Don't think I'd read a book on one though.

Engagement present? Wtf? :(

Congrats btw.

And you're right, I probably will end up getting one. Nearly convinced her to get me one as an engagement present (yeah, I got engaged bitchezzzz!), but no joy. Don't think I'd read a book on one though.

Congrats btw.

She got a fucking ring didn't she? :icon_lol:

Congrats btw.

She got a fucking ring didn't she? :icon_lol:

Being a bit hard on yourself there, mind :icon_lol: . Congratulations though.

Wa-hey!! Congrats mate, great news.

Kids are great btw :(

:icon_lol: Not ready for that yet!

Cheers people.

NJS, that's good news, I should really have checked with you before I ordered it. :icon_lol:

You found someone crackers enough to want to marry you? Christ on a bike, whatever next? :icon_lol:

Congrats mate :icon_lol:

Received it today. First impressions are it's pretty cool.

The e-ink thing is weird. When you first open it up it's got this message on the screen about plugging it in and turning it on etc. Except it looked for all the world like a message that was stuck onto the screen because it didn't look like any sort of message that could appear on a screen. Only when you turn it on, the same message disappears and is replaced by the Kindle home screen.

It basically looks exactly like a page of written text. And it turns out that it uses battery getting the text onto the page, so when you turn the page of a book it does this very brief thing where the screen goes dark and then it's replaced by the text of the next page. But once that text is up it's no longer using battery. Which is why the battery lasts for a month.

I've messed around with emailing some PDFs to it and viewing them as PDFs and also converting them to Kindle format, and that seems to work pretty well, although when you convert them they don't look as good as Kindle books do (text looks fine, but there are obvious issues with converting the pages to look exactly as they would in the PDF). The way that works is you get a Kindle email address, and you just email documents to it. If you want them converting, you put 'convert' in the subject field of the email. Within minutes they're on the Kindle.

Last thing to say is if you're acquainted with Rapidshare and places like warez-bb, you can get a ton of books in .mobi file, which the Kindle can read. Basically these things look identical to the books that you buy direct to the Kindle (I'm not sure but I think .mobi might have been the file format on earlier versions of the Kindle so they're still supported). So yeah, free Kindle books.

All in all, it seems canny good.

Edited by Gemmill

The e-ink thing is weird. When you first open it up it's got this message on the screen about plugging it in and turning it on etc. Except it looked for all the world like a message that was stuck onto the screen because it didn't look like any sort of message that could appear on a screen. Only when you turn it on, the same message disappears and is replaced by the Kindle home screen.

I spent a couple of minutes trying to figure out how to get the "sticker" off like :angry:

Haven't tried other formats extensively yet - transferred one pdf (train timetable) directly from PC just to try it and it was fine.

It basically looks exactly like a page of written text. And it turns out that it uses battery getting the text onto the page, so when you turn the page of a book it does this very brief thing where the screen goes dark and then it's replaced by the text of the next page. But once that text is up it's no longer using battery. Which is why the battery lasts for a month.

I've messed around with emailing some PDFs to it and viewing them as PDFs and also converting them to Kindle format, and that seems to work pretty well, although when you convert them they don't look as good as Kindle books do (text looks fine, but there are obvious issues with converting the pages to look exactly as they would in the PDF). The way that works is you get a Kindle email address, and you just email documents to it. If you want them converting, you put 'convert' in the subject field of the email. Within minutes they're on the Kindle.

Last thing to say is if you're acquainted with Rapidshare and places like warez-bb, you can get a ton of books in .mobi file, which the Kindle can read. Basically these things look identical to the books that you buy direct to the Kindle (I'm not sure but I think .mobi might have been the file format on earlier versions of the Kindle so they're still supported). So yeah, free Kindle books.

The guy who sits next to me in the office bought one recently and up until that point I wasn't interested. Having seen on e in the flesh though; the screen is astonishing. My first thought was it was a sticker too. Like you, I really fancy an iPad too and I read books. Mrs Paws is always on at me because I buy a book, read it once and it ends up in a cupboard. I've tried e-books on my laptop & phone, but they just aren;t the same. I'm kinda tempted by the Kindle, but I know that deep down I want an iPad. I reckon Matt would like it too. He loves my iPhone and at only 2 (nearly 3) he's taken to using it really well.

Question (not specifically aim at you Gem), can I email a .mobi file to myself, open it on my iPad from the email and read it in the Kindle/iBook app?

The guy who sits next to me in the office bought one recently and up until that point I wasn't interested. Having seen on e in the flesh though; the screen is astonishing. My first thought was it was a sticker too. Like you, I really fancy an iPad too and I read books. Mrs Paws is always on at me because I buy a book, read it once and it ends up in a cupboard. I've tried e-books on my laptop & phone, but they just aren;t the same. I'm kinda tempted by the Kindle, but I know that deep down I want an iPad. I reckon Matt would like it too. He loves my iPhone and at only 2 (nearly 3) he's taken to using it really well.

Question (not specifically aim at you Gem), can I email a .mobi file to myself, open it on my iPad from the email and read it in the Kindle/iBook app?

Im not sure. Ive only read things I've bought from Amazon or book store on my iPad. Is a fantastic reading experience though. Im on holiday this week and am taking 3 books all the shape of my iPad. Whether you use iPad or Kindle, I'd certainly recommend getting one.

I don't think you can do that. I have been tryimg to do it on Kimdle for PC and it doesn't work,so the chances of it working on an ipad are slim.

Havimg had this a couple of days now, I would def recommend if you are thinking about it, to get one. Am posting this from the web browser on it, which seems ok.