Shearer ready to step in with Allardyce one game from the sack

Jimbo

Alan Shearer is understood to be prepared to end his sabbatical from football if a managerial vacancy arises at Newcastle United.

Sam Allardyce is under increasing pressure at St James' Park and, with Newcastle having taken only one point from their past five games, there are suggestions that defeat at home to Arsenal on Wednesday could prompt his dismissal.

Although Newcastle poured scorn on such a notion yesterday and said newspaper reports claiming Allardyce was one game from the sack were "not worthy of comment", Mike Ashley, the club's owner, is believed to be giving thought to his manager's future.

Last night friends of Shearer indicated that the former Newcastle and England captain would be interested in managing his home-town club should Allardyce, who witnessed a 3-1 defeat at Blackburn on Saturday, fail to turn things around.

Currently working as a football pundit for the BBC and serving as a special ambassador at Newcastle, Shearer is admired by Ashley and the club chairman, Chris Mort. He has not completed his mandatory professional licence qualification but has been on several coaching courses since retiring from playing and would almost certainly be permitted to follow in the footsteps of Middlesbrough's Gareth Southgate and initially manage in the Premier League without one.

The former striker has been touted as a potential successor to Steve McClaren as England's head coach but it is understood that he would be more interested in coaching Newcastle than his country.

Ironically Allardyce, who left Bolton Wanderers for Tyneside six months ago, was beaten to the England job by Steve McClaren in the spring of 2006. After succeeding Glenn Roeder at St James' Park he oversaw Newcastle's best start to a season for a decade, but results have since gone awry amid rumours that certain players are underwhelmed by his tactics and training methods.

Should Allardyce survive defeat against Arsenal, Saturday's home match against Birmingham City could further determine his, and Shearer's, immediate future.

Big Sam v Big Al

Sam Allardyce

Worn Newcastle No9 shirt? No

United goals

Played for Sunderland? Yes

Managerial trophies

Father in local sheet metal business? No

Dubbed 'geordie messiah'? No

Alan Shearer

Worn Newcastle No9 shirt? Yes

United goals 206

Played for Sunderland? No

Managerial trophies

Father in local sheet metal business? Yes

Dubbed 'geordie messiah'? Yes

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Risky but a risk worth taking I think. Big Al knows whats expected and I dont think he would put his reputation and legend status on the line if he didnt think he was up to it.

Put an experienced manager in a D.O.F role who Shearer could use as a sounding board and let them deal with the day to day admin crap, let Al concentrate on the players, tactics and winning games.

I really wanted BS to do well but I feel very dissapointed with what I`ve seen so far. It`s his team, most of the players are his signings, he`s been coaching them for 5 months so far and they serve up drivel. I dont see any signs of things getting better so make the change NOW otherwise it`s another season written off

The good thing about Shearer will be that he'll get the crowd behind us (especially if he includes another fav in his backroom staff. Eg Rob Lee, Sir Les, Pedro etc)

I also get the feeling that'll he keep things simple and play to our strengths.

Thats if it happens of course.

I'm pretty sure he'd do really, really well tbh.

He'd have the status, momentum, respect and balls to do a great job. I'm not sure football management is as difficult as some people like to make out when you have those things on your side.

No way would this be a good move in my opinion, no managerial experience whatsoever.

Like someone else......... who am I thinking of again..................................

Willie McFaul? :birthday:

He'd have the status, momentum, respect and balls to do a great job. I'm not sure football management is as difficult as some people like to make out when you have those things on your side.

I heard a story about Viduka that makes think Shearer would be getting no respect there. Momentum is easily lost. Status? I'm afraid he only has status to us, I don't think he carries much weight amongst foreign players, who would frankly wonder why they are taking orders from someone only 5 years older than them. Even the current crop of supposed crap in the squad there a few player who can claim to have achieved more than him as footballers.

Mark Hughes only had the Wales job for a short time before joining Blackburn and look how well he`s done there with limited resources. I would like to think Shearer would have the respect of most of the players due to his record and commitment to the club and those who dont can fuck off. If the fat ozzy has a problem he should take a look what Shearer gave on the pitch, 100%. Not turn up and go through the motions like he did against Liverpool.

If Sam cant hack it and we cant get a big name manager with a proven record then I would be happy with Shearer rather than another Souness/Roeder/Gullit/Dalgliesh.

I heard a story about Viduka that makes think Shearer would be getting no respect there. Momentum is easily lost. Status? I'm afraid he only has status to us, I don't think he carries much weight amongst foreign players, who would frankly wonder why they are taking orders from someone only 5 years older than them. Even the current crop of supposed crap in the squad there a few player who can claim to have achieved more than him as footballers.

I dont believe a word of that. Mourinho didnt even play football professionally. In fact there are a lot more managers out there that are failed "top" players than not.

Mark Hughes only had the Wales job for a short time before joining Blackburn and look how well he`s done there with limited resources. I would like to think Shearer would have the respect of most of the players due to his record and commitment to the club and those who dont can fuck off. If the fat ozzy has a problem he should take a look what Shearer gave on the pitch, 100%. Not turn up and go through the motions like he did against Liverpool.

If Sam cant hack it and we cant get a big name manager with a proven record then I would be happy with Shearer rather than another Souness/Roeder/Gullit/Dalgliesh.

Hughes is much older than most footballers now, and he joined Blackburn as a player in Division One, he has earnt his respect at that club by getting them up, and as a manger saving them from relegation, you can't argue that is the same as giving Shearer respect because he's a Geordie. Plus, Hughes' career as a player outstrips most players who are ever going to sign for Blackburn.

Guest stevieintoon

:birthday:

Which current player is recognised by his fellow professionals and the FAPL officially as being the best player the leagues ever had. Which player has scored 30% more goals than any other Premiership footballer? Which current player is the only one in Premiership history to score 30 league goals three seasons running? Which current toon player, has finished as top scorer at a major international tournament? Which current Toon player has moved for a world record transfer fee? Which current toon player won a side the league almost single handed? Which current toon player REGULARLY captained one of the top 10 countries in the world?

Don't give me Michael Owen won the Ballon D'Or. Owen knows his place when it comes to Shearer.

Edited by stevieintoon

Bollocks, Shearer was recognised as one of the top strikers in the world at a time, even look at what Berbatov was saying recently about him, his status stretches much further than the Newcastle area.

The only thing is no one knows if he's got the coaching ability or tactical nous for the job until he actually manages a team.

Quite confident Shearer would do a good job here. Not sure why like. As I said yesterday, there's no way I can see him takingthe job without assurances he'll have money to spend here. Makes for an interesting few days coming up.

Bollocks, Shearer was recognised as one of the top strikers in the world at a time, even look at what Berbatov was saying recently about him, his status stretches much further than the Newcastle area.

The only thing is no one knows if he's got the coaching ability or tactical nous for the job until he actually manages a team.

Do you think Berbatov would be happy to be managed by him right now? It's one thing to give respect to a fellow professional player, it's another to transfer that into respect as a manager.

Guest stevieintoon

He stretches around the world. When I was in Thailand, people would see me toon shirt, and everywhere they'd go "Aran Sheila", RICO's post is the most laughable I've seen on here in quite some time.

:birthday:

Which current player is recognised by his fellow professionals and the FAPL officially as being the best player the leagues ever had. Which player has scored 30% more goals than any other Premiership footballer? Which current player is the only one in Premiership history to score 30 league goals three seasons running? Which current toon player, has finished as top scorer at a major international tournament? Which current Toon player has moved for a world record transfer fee? Which current toon player won a side the league almost single handed? Which current toon player REGULARLY captained one of the top 10 countries in the world?

Don't give me Michael Owen won the Ballon D'Or. Owen knows his place when it comes to Shearer.

I wasn't even thinking of Owen. On the basis of all that written there, do you think Henry should be the next Arsenal manager next year?

Guest stevieintoon

Do you think Berbatov would be happy to be managed by him right now? It's one thing to give respect to a fellow professional player, it's another to transfer that into respect as a manager.

What about Rudi Voller, who's first managerial position was the krauts who he took to the WC Final. Or what about Klinsmann who did a great job. Van Basten hasn't done bad. Dalglish won the league in his first season. Keegan whether people on here like to admit it or not, was the best manager we've had since the 50's etc etc etc etc