NUFC v Fulham

NobbySol

It's not where you start, it's where you finish.

"You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done."

Fuck some days I wish you'd just fold'em!

Forget all this attractive football shite, we haven't played attractive football consistantly since SBR took the team to third.

How are people going to react when at home against Derby Allardyce sets his team to stiffle the opposition?

If it works and we win, I'll be over the moon.

If Allardyce finishes us higher year on year for (say) 3 years running, getting us back into Europe long term but with some dull football, i'll be more than happy.

You seriously want us to appoint a fifth manager in the space of three years, just to avoid the odd bit of boredom, even if there's some fun (like Arsenal) mixed in there. We're already a laughing stock man. Even the mackems accept their lot in life with more dignity than this.

Were you a Shepherd fan? Serious question because he was also keen on getting rid of any manager that looked like they might not finish top 5, and that's why most fans can't stand the fat fuck. For sacking people at the wrong time and making the Newcastle job about as appealing as England, though it was very appealing when he took charge.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done."

Forget all this attractive football shite, we haven't played attractive football consistantly since SBR took the team to third.

How are people going to react when at home against Derby Allardyce sets his team to stiffle the opposition?

If Allardyce finishes us higher year on year for (say) 3 years running, getting us back into Europe long term but with some dull football, i'll be more than happy.

You seriously want us to appoint a fifth manager in the space of three years, just to avoid the odd bit of boredom, even if there's some fun (like Arsenal) mixed in there. We're already a laughing stock man. Even the mackems accept their lot in life with more dignity than this.

Were you a Shepherd fan? Serious question because he was also keen on getting rid of any manager that looked like they might not finish top 5, and that's why most fans can't stand the fat fuck. For sacking people at the wrong time and making the Newcastle job about as appealing as England, though it was very appealing when he took charge.

Whats' the point of football? Is it as entertainment or as some point scoring exercise akin to the FTSE index?

The way I look at it unless Ashley puts serious money in we aren;t going to win the league or qualify for the CL anytime soon. That leaves at best UEFA places and the cups. Given the seriousness the "big" clubs have placed on the FA cup in recent years thats a longshot.

Whats left? Vying with Everton and Pompey for 5th/6th so we can play 10 games against pub teams before failing again?

What's left is entertainment - pride in how we play - thats selfish pride btw not this "everyones second team shit". Anything else will soon get the contempt it deserves - falling crowds and more nastiness a la Liverpool game.

On the sacking thing as Jimbo has said giving people time makes sense. Recognising you've got the wrong man and changing it makes just as much in my view.

That's the thing though - I honestly don't know how people can come to any conclusions this soon when we aren't doing too badly. I'm not suggesting everyone is happy and (some of) grievances are totally legitimate. It's too soon to get rid though. Far too soon. He's had one transfer window for a kick-off.

hard to disagree with too much in this except the bit about smith playing in midfield.

Ugly Newcastle bank on rich festive feasts among the poor

Mike Adamson at Craven Cottage

Monday December 17, 2007

The Guardian

The reporter from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle claimed it was the worst match he had seen in 30 years of covering the Magpies. Supporters joked that the TV in the dugout belonging to Fulham's manager, Lawrie Sanchez, would have been better used showing Strictly Come Dancing rather than the game.

The 5-5 draw between teams of young boys and girls at half-time was far more enjoyable than the main event. Yet none of that could shorten the smile on the face of the Newcastle manager, Sam Allardyce, at the end. This was Newcastle's first away clean sheet since November 2006, and Joey Barton's injury-time penalty - converted after a foul on Alan Smith by Elliot Omozusi on his 19th birthday - was his team's second consecutive last-minute winner following the victory over Birmingham City.

With fixtures against the league's bottom two clubs, Derby County and Wigan Athletic, next up, suddenly December looks capable of bringing plenty of festive cheer to Newcastle.

"Winning late on shows the commitment we have," said Barton. "We keep battling and we kept a clean sheet, which we've been setting out all week to do. The lads have shown great togetherness and everyone loves playing with each other."

They may love playing together, but it is clear not all of them love playing where they are positioned by Allardyce. The willing James Milner provided one dangerous cross, but on the left he is less of a threat than he would be on the right - Fulham's Hameur Bouazza repeatedly showed the advantage of reaching the byline before crossing rather than having to cut back inside on to a favoured foot.

Charles N'Zogbia, too, is wasted at left-back, from where his incisive runs and crosses begin too deep. And Smith is surely better suited to a role in midfield or out wide rather than lone striker.

Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka are out-and-out centre-forwards, yet they are resigned to restrictive roles on the right flank and the bench respectively.

The ongoing injuries to Michael Owen and Damien Duff have reduced his options, of course, but Allardyce is trying to adapt the players to his formation, rather than mould his style to suit the talents at his disposal. Newcastle's only chances in this game emanated either from set-pieces or long balls, the latter a strange tactic given that Smith, the tallest of their three forwards, is shorter than the smallest of Fulham's four defenders.

Allardyce is not one to apologise for winning ugly, perhaps understandably so given the previous flimsiness of his side. "You can't always win pretty but we were effective," he said.

What Sanchez would give for his team to be effective. Fulham's season has been a case of better to have led and lost than never to have led at all, but rarely did they look like taking a lead to lose here. Still, the concession of a late goal was all too familiar - this was the ninth they have given up in the last 11 minutes of matches, a statistic that has cost 12 points and lowered them into the relegation zone - and fans chanted for Sanchez's dismissal at half- and full-time.

"I believe I'm the man to get us out of this situation," he responded defiantly. If Sanchez is to keep his job, Fulham will have to perform better in the second half of the season than they do in the second half of games.

This is a very interesting point. I've got nothing against us playing a 4-3-3 but doing it with the wrong players in the wrong positions makes no sense at all.

I actually do think we have a number of players who could make the formation work but they aren't playing where the need to.

N'Zogbia should be left wing and Milner should be on the right. It's not rocket science but Allardyce seems to be dead against it for some reason.

aye; there's that plus him contiuing to play zog at left back where he contributes less than he does further up the field when he's spent £6m on a left back that's actually looked decent when he's started. enrique must be scratching his head tbh.

Whats' the point of football? Is it as entertainment or as some point scoring exercise akin to the FTSE index?

The way I look at it unless Ashley puts serious money in we aren;t going to win the league or qualify for the CL anytime soon. That leaves at best UEFA places and the cups. Given the seriousness the "big" clubs have placed on the FA cup in recent years thats a longshot.

Whats left? Vying with Everton and Pompey for 5th/6th so we can play 10 games against pub teams before failing again?

What's left is entertainment - pride in how we play - thats selfish pride btw not this "everyones second team shit". Anything else will soon get the contempt it deserves - falling crowds and more nastiness a la Liverpool game.

On the sacking thing as Jimbo has said giving people time makes sense. Recognising you've got the wrong man and changing it makes just as much in my view.

I don't buy into the whole football is life, getting married at the stadium, queueing for the new strip shite. Nor do I go to the match expecting to be entertained outside of the banter of the people I sit with. Football is a pain in the arse for 90% of fans 90% of the time. We go for the 10% when it's not. Which Newcastle got far too much of under Keegan/Robson and have been spoiled by.

If I sat on my todd in the library that is the East Stand without a pint before or after, I might choose not to go if the football was this bad, but for me football is far more about the the camaraderie than the glory to be honest with you.

I tend to think we over-analyse and nitpick games nowadays.

This reminds me of a fair few seasons ago. I was at the southampton game when we won 4-0 (Think it was early Gullit era.). I was happy as larry and wandering away home when I got stuck behind a group of lads who were discussing the game.

"Whaddye think o' that?" said one.

One inhaled sharply, then let out a low groan.

"Aye, shite like." said another.

and on they went, shaking their heads.

i just thought "what the shit?". I saw a decent game of footie, saw plenty of goals and we won. I was entertained. Job done. What these guys expecting?

To me, it's the goals that entertain. Yes, we would all love to see lovely attacking free-flowing football and it's very nice to see when it happens, but because of the nature of the Prem. most teams cancel each other out and it resorts to drudgery. There isn't many clubs outside the top 5 who don't do this.

Yet we are the team that is most singled out for it and I think it has had more of an effect on our perceptions of the team than we care to admit. I'm not exactly happy with the way we're going, but at the moment it may be a stepping stone to a better time after january.

I may also be getting the wrong end of the stick and he's out by march, but that's footbal, isn't it? Who knows?

hard to disagree with too much in this except the bit about smith playing in midfield.

Monday December 17, 2007

The Guardian

The reporter from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle claimed it was the worst match he had seen in 30 years of covering the Magpies. Supporters joked that the TV in the dugout belonging to Fulham's manager, Lawrie Sanchez, would have been better used showing Strictly Come Dancing rather than the game.

The 5-5 draw between teams of young boys and girls at half-time was far more enjoyable than the main event. Yet none of that could shorten the smile on the face of the Newcastle manager, Sam Allardyce, at the end. This was Newcastle's first away clean sheet since November 2006, and Joey Barton's injury-time penalty - converted after a foul on Alan Smith by Elliot Omozusi on his 19th birthday - was his team's second consecutive last-minute winner following the victory over Birmingham City.

With fixtures against the league's bottom two clubs, Derby County and Wigan Athletic, next up, suddenly December looks capable of bringing plenty of festive cheer to Newcastle.

"Winning late on shows the commitment we have," said Barton. "We keep battling and we kept a clean sheet, which we've been setting out all week to do. The lads have shown great togetherness and everyone loves playing with each other."

They may love playing together, but it is clear not all of them love playing where they are positioned by Allardyce. The willing James Milner provided one dangerous cross, but on the left he is less of a threat than he would be on the right - Fulham's Hameur Bouazza repeatedly showed the advantage of reaching the byline before crossing rather than having to cut back inside on to a favoured foot.

Charles N'Zogbia, too, is wasted at left-back, from where his incisive runs and crosses begin too deep. And Smith is surely better suited to a role in midfield or out wide rather than lone striker.

Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka are out-and-out centre-forwards, yet they are resigned to restrictive roles on the right flank and the bench respectively.

The ongoing injuries to Michael Owen and Damien Duff have reduced his options, of course, but Allardyce is trying to adapt the players to his formation, rather than mould his style to suit the talents at his disposal. Newcastle's only chances in this game emanated either from set-pieces or long balls, the latter a strange tactic given that Smith, the tallest of their three forwards, is shorter than the smallest of Fulham's four defenders.

Allardyce is not one to apologise for winning ugly, perhaps understandably so given the previous flimsiness of his side. "You can't always win pretty but we were effective," he said.

What Sanchez would give for his team to be effective. Fulham's season has been a case of better to have led and lost than never to have led at all, but rarely did they look like taking a lead to lose here. Still, the concession of a late goal was all too familiar - this was the ninth they have given up in the last 11 minutes of matches, a statistic that has cost 12 points and lowered them into the relegation zone - and fans chanted for Sanchez's dismissal at half- and full-time.

"I believe I'm the man to get us out of this situation," he responded defiantly. If Sanchez is to keep his job, Fulham will have to perform better in the second half of the season than they do in the second half of games.

This is a very interesting point. I've got nothing against us playing a 4-3-3 but doing it with the wrong players in the wrong positions makes no sense at all.

I actually do think we have a number of players who could make the formation work but they aren't playing where the need to.

N'Zogbia should be left wing and Milner should be on the right. It's not rocket science but Allardyce seems to be dead against it for some reason.

aye; there's that plus him contiuing to play zog at left back where he contributes less than he does further up the field when he's spent £6m on a left back that's actually looked decent when he's started. Enrique must be scratching his head tbh.

Does N'Zogbia contribute less? I can't remember the last game where he's done anything of note when starting out on the left wing, I thought he looked decent at left back earlier in the season, especially going forward and like most people thought he would look better if he moved back up onto the wing, when he did though he looked like he struggled to find the space he needs to run into and offered very little.

I think the N'Zogbia/Milner combo down the left has a decent chance of working out, mainly because Milner has to cut in which leaves plenty of space in behind for Zog to run into unmarked, I presume he's leaving Enrique out because he's still adjusting to the Premiership, nothing wrong with that and it's good management compared to throwing him in at the deep end, Wenger is doing the same with Eduardo at Arsenal and has said it'll take him a good 6 months to get used to it, the only downside was we didn't have a natural left back apart from Babayaro who was always injured to play until he is ready.

Monday December 17, 2007

The Guardian

aye; there's that plus him contiuing to play zog at left back where he contributes less than he does further up the field when he's spent £6m on a left back that's actually looked decent when he's started. Enrique must be scratching his head tbh.

Does N'Zogbia contribute less? I can't remember the last game where he's done anything of note when starting out on the left wing, I thought he looked decent at left back earlier in the season, especially going forward and like most people thought he would look better if he moved back up onto the wing, when he did though he looked like he struggled to find the space he needs to run into and offered very little.

I think the N'Zogbia/Milner combo down the left has a decent chance of working out, mainly because Milner has to cut in which leaves plenty of space in behind for Zog to run into unmarked, I presume he's leaving Enrique out because he's still adjusting to the Premiership, nothing wrong with that and it's good management compared to throwing him in at the deep end, Wenger is doing the same with Eduardo at Arsenal and has said it'll take him a good 6 months to get used to it, the only downside was we didn't have a natural left back apart from Babayaro who was always injured to play until he is ready.

i think so; yes. his best performances have come for us at left wing

Monday December 17, 2007

The Guardian

i think so; yes. his best performances have come for us at left wing

Not this season they haven't, he was shit last season too, so people seem to be pinning their hopes on him because of what he done under Souness and Roeder as caretaker.

I personally hate him for being a fat arrogant prick who could not see when he made a mistake and had the footballing management judgement of a dead rat. Oh and for using NUFC as his own personal cash cow and shitting on the fans.

I personally hate him for being a fat arrogant prick who could not see when he made a mistake and had the footballing management judgement of a dead rat. Oh and for using NUFC as his own personal cash cow and shitting on the fans.

QFT and I also feel fat Freddy employed Allardyce for all the wrong reasons. He like Shepherd isn't (wasn't) adverse to a few dodgy transfers, Allardyce is know to get the best out of cheap and bargain players, etc.

Then everything changed.

Happy face in answer to your question and I wonder why you even posed it considering like me you've been posting on this board for a while and should already know the answer, no I wasn't a Shepherd fan, I was quite vocal in my dislike for the man but hey if it suits your argument then feel free to use it anyone you want.

If you can't see that Allardyce isn't the manager to take the club forward then I'm not going to waste the time trying to explain to you the error of your ways.

If Mort got it right and unlike LM and stevie I believe he would, it wouldn't be a problem and all these laughing stock comments would be shown up for what they are, the stupidity of sticking with a manager that clearly isn't up to the task.

We've made this mistake with our last two managers, it's not going to be third time lucky.

Edited by sammynb

QFT and I also feel fat Freddy employed Allardyce for all the wrong reasons. He like Shepherd isn't (wasn't) adverse to a few dodgy transfers, Allardyce is know to get the best out of cheap and bargain players, etc.

Then everything changed.

Most of those traits don't really impact the clubs success, the only one that does is management selection and as I recall it 99% of people on here were in favour of Allardyce.

Happy face in answer to your question and I wonder why you even posed it considering like me you've been posting on this board for a while and should already know the answer, no I wasn't a Shepherd fan, I was quite vocal in my dislike for the man but hey if it suits your argument then feel free to use it anyone you want.

If you can't see that Allardyce isn't the manager to take the club forward then I'm not going to waste the time trying to explain to you the error of your ways.

If Mort got it right and unlike LM and stevie I believe he would, it wouldn't be a problem and all these laughing stock comments would be shown up for what they are, the stupidity of sticking with a manager that clearly isn't up to the task.

We've made this mistake with our last two managers, it's not going to be third time lucky.

I ask the question because I thought Shepherd's high turnover of managers was a bugbear among fans. Perhaps it was just me. But to lambaste Shepherd because he never learned from his mistakes, and then to advocate ANOTHER sacking without a better replacement lined up smacks to me of contradiction.

Also, if you don't have time to explain why I'm wrong, best not to condescend to me, when you're the one in the minority on this one mate.

Edited by Happy Face

I ask the question because I thought Shepherd's high turnover of managers was a bugbear among fans. Perhaps it was just me. But to lambaste Shepherd because he never learned from his mistakes, and then to advocate ANOTHER sacking without a better replacement lined up smacks to me of contradiction.

Can you not read man?

What do you think getting it right means?

I think the fact that you didn't even read the above quote in my post sort of puts the following statement from you into perspective and justifies my comment about it not worth discussing with you. You obviously haven't read other people's posts also if you think I'm a majority of one.

Also, if you don't have time to explain why I'm wrong, best not to condescend to me, when you're the one in the minority on this one mate.
Edited by sammynb

Can you not read man?

What do you think getting it right means?

I think the fact that you didn't even read the above quote in my post sort of puts the following statement from you into perspective and justifies my comment about it not worth discussing with you. You obviously haven't read other people's posts also if you think I'm a majority of one.

I think getting it right means a manager moving us up the league, like Allardyce is doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be saying IF we get a better manager, and IF that better manager does a better job you'll have been proved right. However, you're not saying who that could realistically be in order to justify getting rid of who we currently have....and that we should get rid and rely on Mort to produce a top class manager from thin air.

Please read my posts before saying I don't read others. I said you're in the minority, not that you're the only one who wants rid.

Then everything changed.

Most of those traits don't really impact the clubs success, the only one that does is management selection and as I recall it 99% of people on here were in favour of Allardyce.

Bollocks if you're going to make up a number make it realistic.

I think getting it right means a manager moving us up the league, like Allardyce is doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be saying IF we get a better manager, and IF that better manager does a better job you'll have been proved right. However, you're not saying who that could realistically be in order to justify getting rid of who we currently have....and that we should get rid and rely on Mort to produce a top class manager from thin air.

Please read my posts before saying I don't read others. I said you're in the minority, not that you're the only one who wants rid.

Fucking hell are you trying to turn this into a bitch fest? Come on I'll 'ave ya! ;)

No what I'm saying is Allardyce is shite, he isn't going to take the club forward in the long run so let Mort get out there and find another manager, then either move him upstairs or ask him for his resignation. Clear as mud now?

No mention of IF.

No mention of thin air, thin lizzy or flat stanley.

No mention of me being right, correct or the fucking king anywhere.

There is me mentioning that I have enough confidence in our new chairman Mr Mort being smart enough to employ a manager that will take the club forward both on and off the field.

There is mention of me stating we have seen this all before with the last two mangers and sticking by them does not take the club forward. I could list half a dozen available managers that would be perfect for the job but what would be the point in that, happy face you're smart enough to know who they are and no Hitzfield isn't on that list.

I see you didn't address the reasons why I think Shepherd hired Allardyce, so does this mean you agree or disagree with it?

Lastly, I really don't think I'm in the minority when it comes to Allardyce, there are a lot of "wait until the end of the season" opinions out there and that's because people are living in fear of the laughing stock mentality you mentioned.

To be honest I think that's as long as he'll last anyway.

Then everything changed.

Bollocks if you're going to make up a number make it realistic.

I can honestly only recall me and SSH being dead against it tbh. Apologies if others were, I'm no good with remembering the names and opinions of everyone on here, but with over 5000* members, I thought I was being canny realistic, because there definitely weren't 50 people that voiced strong opposition. Generally people thought it was an improvement. No?

*Where did I get that from? ;)

Edited by Happy Face

Fucking hell are you trying to turn this into a bitch fest? Come on I'll 'ave ya! ;)

No what I'm saying is Allardyce is shite, he isn't going to take the club forward in the long run so let Mort get out there and find another manager, then either move him upstairs or ask him for his resignation. Clear as mud now?

No mention of IF.

No mention of thin air, thin lizzy or flat stanley.

No mention of me being right, correct or the fucking king anywhere.

There is me mentioning that I have enough confidence in our new chairman Mr Mort being smart enough to employ a manager that will take the club forward both on and off the field.

There is mention of me stating we have seen this all before with the last two mangers and sticking by them does not take the club forward. I could list half a dozen available managers that would be perfect for the job but what would be the point in that, happy face you're smart enough to know who they are and no Hitzfield isn't on that list.

I see you didn't address the reasons why I think Shepherd hired Allardyce, so does this mean you agree or disagree with it?

Lastly, I really don't think I'm in the minority when it comes to Allardyce, there are a lot of "wait until the end of the season" opinions out there and that's because people are living in fear of the laughing stock mentality you mentioned.

To be honest I think that's as long as he'll last anyway.

Not a bitch fest, just can't comprehend the "sack him" mentality.

How exactly did we "stick with" the last two managers? Is that what we call one season now? How football has changed. I'm glad we got rid of Souness when we did though. He was a travesty from start to finish.

I wish I knew half a dozen managers better than Allardyce who're willing and available to manage Newcastle. You give me too much credit if you think I do.

Shepherd hired Allardyce because the fans sanctioned it. Outside of that I have no clue as to his motivation.

Not a bitch fest, just can't comprehend the "sack him" mentality.

How exactly did we "stick with" the last two managers? Is that what we call one season now? How football has changed. I'm glad we got rid of Souness when we did though. He was a travesty from start to finish.

I wish I knew half a dozen managers better than Allardyce who're willing and available to manage Newcastle. You give me too much credit if you think I do.

Shepherd hired Allardyce because the fans sanctioned it. Outside of that I have no clue as to his motivation.

Sorry it was late and a school night so I had to walk away from this last night.

The problem is HF, things within the club have changed and changed considerably to the point of where Allardyce was a great signing by Shepherd, he's totally the wrong manager under Mort and Ashley. The expectation of the club has changed from consolidation and slowly rebuilding to let's build an exciting team now. And I just think the task is beyond Allardyce and like that feeling we all had that Souness would be a failure, I get that with Allardyce because he's exhibiting similar traits.

By the way I don't want him sacked, I actually would like to see him rebuild the clubs infrastructure behind the scenes.

I just want him away from the first team management and not making the decisions regarding first team transfers.

Edited by sammynb