Joey Barton

RlCO

Should Barton ever play for us again?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with any of the options you've supplied. I think he should play for us again but only due to the fact that his act of alledgedy lamping someone who had assulted a girl in his party wasn't as bad as the media want to make out. The fact he's a serial offender is a problem, but lets stick by him until the courts decide whether he's guilty or not.

Based on what Ive seen of him, Im really not arsed if he does or doesnt without even taking this court thing into account. I think he needs serious head shrinking.

I don't agree with any of the options you've supplied. I think he should play for us again but only due to the fact that his act of alledgedy lamping someone who had assulted a girl in his party wasn't as bad as the media want to make out. The fact he's a serial offender is a problem, but lets stick by him until the courts decide whether he's guilty or not.

the girl in his party hardly comes across as a damsel in distress, seeing as she's been charged with assault and actual bodily harm as well.

the fact that his act of alledgedy lamping someone who had assulted a girl in his party wasn't as bad as the media want to make out.

Thats hardly a fact - the courts seemed to beleive it was worth locking him for. I dont discount the posibility I may change my mind but at the moment I hope we never see him anywhere Newcastle again.

the fact that his act of alledgedy lamping someone who had assulted a girl in his party wasn't as bad as the media want to make out.

Thats hardly a fact - the courts seemed to beleive it was worth locking him for. I dont discount the posibility I may change my mind but at the moment I hope we never see him anywhere Newcastle again.

I would imagine he would have been bailed for this had he not already been on bail.

If we can't get rid (which is very likely) then we've no option but to keep him and treat him like any other player.

That was the case after the Dyer / Bowyer bout as we were a plc then and (as far as the shareholders were concerned) they were assets.

However, now we're privately owned what is to stop Ashley either sacking him for gross misconduct or paying his contract up if he wants?

To be fair Skol the big issue was with him indescriminately lashing out at members of the public in the street afterwards. Something which was caught on CCTV and something which his own brief conceeded was "Barton losing it!"

If we can't get rid (which is very likely) then we've no option but to keep him and treat him like any other player.

That was the case after the Dyer / Bowyer bout as we were a plc then and (as far as the shareholders were concerned) they were assets.

However, now we're privately owned what is to stop Ashley either sacking him for gross misconduct or paying his contract up if he wants?

I would like to see the FA step in and take the issue off our hands. I thought they had rules about bringing the game into disrepute, granting he is still 'innocent' (stupidly because he was allowed to delay trial because he was a footballer :dunno: )

Warren Barton is far too old to get a game for us now. Any talk of signing him up again smacks of desperation. Although he'd probably give Stephen Carr a run for his money...

:dunno:

Hes a liability and I think that morally we shouldnt be seen to condone the likes of this behaviour.

Ive supported Barton in the past, made a big thing about how he was (allegedly) acting the model professional while injured, going to all home and away games and even the home reserve games but at the end of the day we need to have some moral standing and if hes guilty then no more chances.

He obviously has a screw or two loose and this club in the past has had more than its fair share of these players. Hopefully we were bright enough to have it written into his (and all others) contracts that if theyre locked up then we end their contract.

• 6 months later...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews...742885320080727

"My view is to give him another chance and back him. He has served his sentence, he's been punished for what he did wrong," Keegan told BBC Radio on Sunday.

"The world is littered with people who deserve a second chance, got that chance and took it with both hands. I said I would stick by him and I intend to do that," Keegan said.

A few more quotes:

Keegan gives Barton second chance

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan insists controversial midfielder Joey Barton still has a future with the club.

Barton is set to leave prison next week after serving a six-month prison sentence for assault, and Keegan said he will give him a second chance.

"People have opinions, and you must respect those, but mine is to give him another chance and back him," Keegan told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"There are a lot of things he needs to put right - but I think he can do it."

Barton, serving his current sentence for assaulting a teenager in Liverpool, was also recently convicted of assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo but escaped another jail term when handed a suspended four-month sentence.

"Joey will be back with us towards the end of this month," said Keegan.

"It's well documented he's had his problems, but I knew of them when I took over. He's served his sentence, he's been punished for what he did wrong.

"The world is littered with people that have been given a second chance and taken it with both hands.

"I told him as long as from now on he did things right and started to rebuild the confidence of people around him, I would stick by him.

"The Joey Barton that we had in the last couple of months of the season was a much-changed character.

"I'm hoping that he'll come back and we'll get him fit. It's up to Joey to put things right now - he's got to win over a lot of people."

Meanwhile, Keegan also expects club captain and England striker Michael Owen to sign a new contract with the club "in the next two or three weeks".

"I know Michael wants to stay and I know we want to keep him, that's two good reasons why it should happen," he said.

Keegan, in his second spell as Newcastle boss, said he wanted the club to improve on their mid-table finish of last season.

"Top eight [in the Premier League table] would be success for us," he said.

"Between fourth and eighth would be a big step up if we're honest. That would be fantastic."