Joey Barton

RlCO

Should Barton ever play for us again?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's our own tbf. We should have taken legal advice/advice from the FA, and found out whether this was a posibility and then not signed him.

The possible positive in all this is that if there is a threat of a fifteen game ban then it might spur us into action to sign a/some midfielder(s).

That would be great. However, with our seemingly low success rate of signings, we could end up with a centre midfield of Butt and Geremi/Guthrie for the first 15 games of the season.

One of the worst in the Premiership, Shirley?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's our own tbf. We should have taken legal advice/advice from the FA, and found out whether this was a posibility and then not signed him.

The possible positive in all this is that if there is a threat of a fifteen game ban then it might spur us into action to sign a/some midfielder(s).

That would be great. However, with our seemingly low success rate of signings, we could end up with a centre midfield of Butt and Geremi/Guthrie for the first 15 games of the season.

One of the worst in the Premiership, Shirley?

OH NO!!! Butt & Geremi what a thought, that is a depressing. Maybe Butt and Zoggy or Milner, still shite tho` and we will get ripped apart

I thought doctors only got busted by governing bodies if what they'd done had something to do with their jobs, ie medical misconduct? I know most companies would penalise an employee for being banged up but that's as much the company's own decision - NUFC have chosen to stick by Barton after he's served his sentence. The FA getting involved now is ridiculous and just shows their usual level of ineptitude.

On a side not I don't think Dabo was exactly whiter than white in the whole affair either, I'm not defending Barton's actions but I'm sure it was more two-way than is being made out - one of the quotes made in one of the papers was that both players had been making vicious tackles on each other during the training session, seems to me that Dabo can dish it out but can't take it.

If he were a doctor or lawyer he'd be fine. Look at Richard Neale.

was he not originally struck off in the states or something then managed to practice here due to a shitty checking system between governing bodies/regulators,

then another load of complaints in the uk over a few years and he was arrested or something along those lines.

Guess if the system had better communication he wouldnt have but that case asides

in general they don't get to practice whatever profession it is again, at least in the same country lol

Not just miscommunication, the GMC was always notorious for siding with their profession. They have got a lot better in recent years, but that is basically down to much better media coverage (and several very high profile cases) and the threat of an independent body being set up instead (which is by far the best option, as it is in all situations like this - within profession regulatory bodies are pretty much by definition institutionally corrupt).

When Neale was eventually struck off the sheer amount of complaints against him, the seriousness and the length over which they occurred left them little choice. By that point, short of Shipman, it's hard to think of a doctor that was less likely to retain their ability to practice.

If he gets a 15match ban then its a disgrace!

We will be fubar

I could see it being longer than that even, the baying for blood is loud and clear.

Edited by Fop

Is there ANY other example of a ban incurred on the training field?

EDIT: found the John Hartson example for his training ground attack on Eyal Berkovic at West Ham in 1998, when the Welshman was given a three-match ban by the FA and fined £20,000.

Edited by Happy Face

Is there ANY other example of a ban incurred on the training field?

EDIT: found the John Hartson example for his training ground attack on Eyal Berkovic at West Ham in 1998, when the Welshman was given a three-match ban by the FA and fined £20,000.

Yup that's all I can think of, although technically this one wasn't even on the training pitch, but after I think.

And if they give him a 3 match ban the press howling will be worse than not doing anything at all, I imagine.

what happened to bowyer and dyer that time for their little fracas on the pitch?

4 and 3 match ban and fines.

Edited by Fop

Barton's infraction has already been dealt with in the courts. If the F.A wanted to do something about it they should have done it when he was a Manchester City player not 15 months later when he is at a different club.

The F.A are fucking pathetic. It's a direct capitulation to the national papers 'Outrage' and the made up/manipulated fan interviews.

Joey has asked for a personal hearing but I'm not sure what good it will do him. Although perhaps this was put into gear to make it look like the spineless bastards at the F.A are making an effort.

The man is a serial offender. He will assault someone again.

If he stays off the booze, out of situations like McD's and gets some anger management help, maybe not.

If he stays off the booze, out of situations like McD's and gets some anger management help, maybe not.

I could just repeat myself but that would get boring. I would bet posting a picture on here of ourselves naked that he will assault someone either outside or on the pitch before the end of this season.

Whatever hearing or punishment Barton recieves will no doubt be influenced by the McDonald's incident. So although the FA claims they have total jurisdiction of what happens on the training ground (although why this is I'm not altogether sure, I would have thought on the pitch fine, but the training ground is the club's business), they are in effect punishing him for something that a) is definitely not within their jurisdiction :icon_lol: he has already been punished for.

I could just repeat myself but that would get boring. I would bet posting a picture on here of ourselves naked that he will assault someone either outside or on the pitch before the end of this season.

Maybe, but people do sometimes turn themselves around after a big enough shock as well (although it depends what you are counting on the pitch).

I would bet posting a picture on here of ourselves naked that he will assault someone either outside or on the pitch before the end of this season.

Putting your exhibitionist fetish aside for a minute I'd be happy to put a few quid on that.

Barton facing Newcastle ban in bid to head off FA action

By Daniel King Last updated at 6:00 PM on 03rd August 2008

Newcastle are preparing to suspend Joey Barton themselves in a bid to head off a massive ban from the Football Association.

The club hierarchy fear Barton could be forbidden to play for as long as the entire coming season after being charged with violent conduct for assaulting then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo in May 2007.

Newcastle are considering unilaterally banning their errant midfielder just as Manchester United quickly announced that Eric Cantona would not play for them for the rest of the season after his infamous kung-fu style assault on a Crystal Palace fan in January 2005. The FA later extended Cantona's exclusion until the end of the following September.

The public outcry over Newcastle's failure to sack Barton, who was released last Monday after being jailed for a separate street assault, means the FA are even more likely to take a hard line. Newcastle are likely to propose that Barton be banned until the end of November and then hope that any extension allows him to return to action - and to availability for transfer - before next season finishes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...thy-FA-ban.html

So we're going to ban him for something he did at another club and which we were fully aware of when we signed him? Riiiigght. :D

Barton facing Newcastle ban in bid to head off FA action

By Daniel King Last updated at 6:00 PM on 03rd August 2008

Newcastle are preparing to suspend Joey Barton themselves in a bid to head off a massive ban from the Football Association.

The club hierarchy fear Barton could be forbidden to play for as long as the entire coming season after being charged with violent conduct for assaulting then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo in May 2007.

Newcastle are considering unilaterally banning their errant midfielder just as Manchester United quickly announced that Eric Cantona would not play for them for the rest of the season after his infamous kung-fu style assault on a Crystal Palace fan in January 2005. The FA later extended Cantona's exclusion until the end of the following September.

The public outcry over Newcastle's failure to sack Barton, who was released last Monday after being jailed for a separate street assault, means the FA are even more likely to take a hard line. Newcastle are likely to propose that Barton be banned until the end of November and then hope that any extension allows him to return to action - and to availability for transfer - before next season finishes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...thy-FA-ban.html

So we're going to ban him for something he did at another club and which we were fully aware of when we signed him? Riiiigght. :D

Been forced into a corner by the FA though, haven't we? Looks like damage limitation. Still doesn't make the original transfer any less brainless though.

Lads, this is the Daily Mail we're talking about. I'd guess it could only be less reliable if Louise Taylor had written it while channelling the spirit of every Sunderland supporter in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
Newcastle's Joey Barton has admitted to a Football Association charge of violent conduct over his assault of former team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

In July, Barton received a four-month suspended prison sentence for the assault which occurred in May 2007 when the pair were at Manchester City.

He has requested a personal hearing to answer the charge.

There is no maximum limit to the punishment he could face but a lengthy ban and possible fine are likely.

Since the assault on Dabo, Barton has been jailed for a drunken attack on revellers in Liverpool city centre.

The £5.8m midfielder missed United's open day at St James's Park on Wednesday, where manager Kevin Keegan failed to mention Barton's absence.

Barton admitted the charge at the FA headquarters in Soho Square and requested a personal hearing before an FA regulatory commission in due course.

The 25-year-old had been sentenced after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on Dabo, 31, who now plays for Lazio.

Barton was released from prison in July after serving 74 days of his sentence for attacking a teenager and Newcastle announced the club would be standing by him.

The player also missed the Magpies' pre-season trip to Palma, where the team played in the Mallorca Summer Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ted/7559141.stm

as much as i don't rate the kid, we're going to need to get another midfielder in if our first choice cm is potentially going to be banned for almost half the season...

Barton faces 15-game ban after admitting Dabo assault

ewcastle United's Joey Barton is facing a lengthy ban after he yesterday admitted an FA charge of violent conduct. There is no limit to the suspension that can be imposed on players found guilty of this offence, and amateurs in the same situation are routinely banned for life. That is extremely unlikely but, with the FA running its Respect campaign, a ban of around 15 games is being talked about.

At FA headquarters in London's Soho Square Barton admitted assaulting his former Manchester City team-mate, Ousmane Dabo, on the training ground in May 2007, an offence for which he has already been given a four-month suspended prison sentence. Dabo has since moved to Lazio.

The FA resolved to charge Barton soon after the fight but was asked by the police not to interview any witnesses while a criminal investigation was still active. With that criminal case over, the FA was free to act against Barton, even though he has since moved from City to Newcastle for £5.8m and wages of around £40,000 a week. Barton has requested a personal hearing before an FA regulatory commission, which will be held in due course, and is free to play in the meantime.

He recently left prison after serving 74 days of a six-month sentence for a drunken assault on revellers in Liverpool. Newcastle are angry about the charges, privately suggesting Barton has been punished twice - once by the courts and once by the FA - for the same offence.

But with the FA running its Respect agenda, and public outrage growing at Newcastle's refusal to sack Barton, sanctions threaten to be severe. Much will depend on how strongly the independent regulatory commission, which will hear Barton's case, is influenced by public opinion. It remains to be seen whether the fact that the offence did not happen at Newcastle and that Barton was subsequently suspended by City will impact on the hearing.

Addressing fans at a Newcastle open day yesterday, Newcastle's manager, Kevin Keegan, explained why the striker Obafemi Martins was absent - attending his mother's funeral in Nigeria - but pointedly failed to mention Barton.

United's captain Michael Owen and the midfielder Abdoulaye Faye, who are both recovering from injuries, took part in a light training session yesterday. PA

Barton facing cigar 'attack' legal action

Football star Joey Barton is to be sued for stubbing a cigar out in a team-mate's eye at a Christmas party three-and-a-half years ago.

The shamed ex-Manchester City midfielder, who is now with Newcastle United having been freed from jail after a separate assault, is expected to be brought before the courts after his victim Jamie Tandy decided to take action.

Tandy, now 23, of Whitefield, Greater Manchester, was permanently scarred after the incident in Manchester's Lucid nightclub in 2004.

Defence lawyer Stuart Page said he expects the legal wheels to be in motion "very shortly" and Barton's solicitors have been informed.

It is understood no legal proceedings have yet started and Barton's agent Willie McKay said he was "unaware" of any pending action.

Tandy was on the verge of breaking into City's first-team when the incident happened leading to Barton being fined £60,000 and Tandy being sent on loan to Denmark where he broke his leg, ending his football career.

The ex-City prospect, who is now working for a window cleaning company, believes the fracas sent him on a downward spiral when he turned to drink and tried to kill himself.

It doesn't rain but it ours, I reckon someone's encouraging this lad to kick Barton when he's down, stick the knife in.