Joey Barton

RlCO

Should Barton ever play for us again?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Barton facing cigar 'attack' legal action

Football star Joey Barton is to be sued for stubbing a cigar out in a team-mate's eye at a Christmas party three-and-a-half years ago.

The shamed ex-Manchester City midfielder, who is now with Newcastle United having been freed from jail after a separate assault, is expected to be brought before the courts after his victim Jamie Tandy decided to take action.

Tandy, now 23, of Whitefield, Greater Manchester, was permanently scarred after the incident in Manchester's Lucid nightclub in 2004.

Defence lawyer Stuart Page said he expects the legal wheels to be in motion "very shortly" and Barton's solicitors have been informed.

It is understood no legal proceedings have yet started and Barton's agent Willie McKay said he was "unaware" of any pending action.

Tandy was on the verge of breaking into City's first-team when the incident happened leading to Barton being fined £60,000 and Tandy being sent on loan to Denmark where he broke his leg, ending his football career.

The ex-City prospect, who is now working for a window cleaning company, believes the fracas sent him on a downward spiral when he turned to drink and tried to kill himself.

It doesn't rain but it ours, I reckon someone's encouraging this lad to kick Barton when he's down, stick the knife in.

Hang on, Ive just read the last few lines on that. Is he taking the piss?

Its like saying, "The bloke refused to serve me, so I went out and bought a can of pop instead. I cut myself on the can and nearly bled to death so Im suing the bar owner!". Talk about taking the piss. while I agree Barton seems a twat, but blaming the cigar thing on him breaking his leg? Fucking hell ;)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly this sort of thing makes me fucking sick. I mean, shit happens, but if the last line is true (I mean true as in the argument they are making rather than it actually being the case) it just shows how close we are in following the ridiculous litigation-led society you see in the USA. Couldn't just be the lad wasn't good enough and never made the grade, could it?

Compensation for the attack, ok fair enough - it wouldn't be very much (and why wasn't it done 3 years ago?).

But compensation because your life didn't go as you wanted it too? Lawyertastic. :lol:

Compensation for the attack, ok fair enough - it wouldn't be very much (and why wasn't it done 3 years ago?).

But compensation because your life didn't go as you wanted it too? Lawyertastic. :lol:

Aye, if there's any compo it should be in the £100s but this bloke is obviously after a major pay-out.

Speaking of which, hasn't the time limit to bring a claim expired? Unless he is basing his case on the way his career went after that, in which case I don't think he has got a chance in hell of suceeding.

Probably read the report about the Man U player getting £4.5m and had a brainwave tbh

Aye, or even more likely - a journalist did and then gave him a bell.

Honestly this sort of thing makes me fucking sick. I mean, shit happens, but if the last line is true (I mean true as in the argument they are making rather than it actually being the case) it just shows how close we are in following the ridiculous litigation-led society you see in the USA. Couldn't just be the lad wasn't good enough and never made the grade, could it?

Agreed with what you said... this is pathetic.

Not being too familiar with the legal system in the UK; isn't there any statute of limitations regarding offences such as this? I know that here in the US you have to press charges within a certain period of time depending on the charges (murder/rape being the exception) or else it won't happen.

Nowt like jumping on a bandwagon and seeing what you can get is there....?

Hope the judge tells him to go fuck himself. His career is over because of a broken leg, that could have happened at any time regardless of a situation at a christmas party.

Agreed with what you said... this is pathetic.

Not being too familiar with the legal system in the UK; isn't there any statute of limitations regarding offences such as this? I know that here in the US you have to press charges within a certain period of time depending on the charges (murder/rape being the exception) or else it won't happen.

There is/was a limit for compensation, somewhere between 3 and 6 years I think. Having said that it may have just been changed due to the case of a woman that was raped and then her rapist won the lottery while on day release after the limit was up. I think she is now allowed to sue him.

Although in this case I think it's more a case of suck it and see.

Yet another case against him though this seems a bit of a desperate one ( James Tandy ).

Also he faces a lengthy ban with the impending FA disciplinery case. Simple fact is every player that puts on a Newcastle shirt is representing our club, do you want that?

My Answer NO WAY.

ONLY PROBLEM IS WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WILL TAKE HIM OFF OUR HANDS.

Yet another case against him though this seems a bit of a desperate one ( James Tandy ).

Also he faces a lengthy ban with the impending FA disciplinery case. Simple fact is every player that puts on a Newcastle shirt is representing our club, do you want that?

My Answer NO WAY.

I didn't understand the question.

My Answer NO WAY.

Fuck off you utter southern wank. This is what pisses me off about our so called fans, utter cunts that they are.

*This post was brought to you in association with Stevie

My Answer NO WAY.

Fuck off you utter southern wank. This is what pisses me off about our so called fans, utter cunts that they are.

*This post was brought to you in association with Stevie

:lol:

Barton is going to be bankrupt if any more of these crawl out of the woodwork!

Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton is being sued for damages by a teenage boy he attacked during a night out.

Barton, 25, punched Jordan Spencer, then aged 16, in the face, outside McDonalds in Liverpool City Centre in the early hours of 27 December.

The teenager was left with broken teeth and Barton was sentenced to six months in jail for assault and affray.

The player was ordered to pay the boy £2,500 in compensation but a judge will consider if he should be paid more.

It is thought Jordan Spencer's legal team will argue the boy was seriously affected by the ordeal and the compensation ordered at Crown Court was not commensurate with his suffering.

The midfielder was released from prison 74 days into his six month sentence for the attack, which had happened after a night of drinking.

The case will go before Liverpool County Court on 7 November.

'Psychiatric deterioration'

This is the second time in a fortnight that Barton has been told he is being sued.

Last week solicitors for Jamie Tandy, 23, confirmed he was suing Barton for allegedly wrecking his playing career after the midfielder stubbed a lit cigar in his face.

Mr Tandy was a trainee with Manchester City at the time when Barton - who was a senior player and emerging star - attacked him during the team's 2004 Christmas party.

Mr Tandy claims he suffered "major psychiatric deterioration".

Barton is also currently serving a suspended sentence for a training ground fight with former Manchester City teammate Ousmane Dabo, 31, who is now playing with Lazio in Italy.

The player was ordered to pay the boy £2,500 in compensation but a judge will consider if he should be paid more.

If Barton was anybody but a footballer this would be laughed out of court.

You know how Long Benton is sponsored by Findus Crispy Pancakes? Liverpool should get Injurylawyers4u.

I mean it's everything they need, money for nothing and text speak all in one place... it's their Nirvana

Barton is going to be bankrupt if any more of these crawl out of the woodwork!

Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton is being sued for damages by a teenage boy he attacked during a night out.

Barton, 25, punched Jordan Spencer, then aged 16, in the face, outside McDonalds in Liverpool City Centre in the early hours of 27 December.

The teenager was left with broken teeth and Barton was sentenced to six months in jail for assault and affray.

It is thought Jordan Spencer's legal team will argue the boy was seriously affected by the ordeal and the compensation ordered at Crown Court was not commensurate with his suffering.

The midfielder was released from prison 74 days into his six month sentence for the attack, which had happened after a night of drinking.

The case will go before Liverpool County Court on 7 November.

'Psychiatric deterioration'

This is the second time in a fortnight that Barton has been told he is being sued.

Last week solicitors for Jamie Tandy, 23, confirmed he was suing Barton for allegedly wrecking his playing career after the midfielder stubbed a lit cigar in his face.

Mr Tandy was a trainee with Manchester City at the time when Barton - who was a senior player and emerging star - attacked him during the team's 2004 Christmas party.

Mr Tandy claims he suffered "major psychiatric deterioration".

Barton is also currently serving a suspended sentence for a training ground fight with former Manchester City teammate Ousmane Dabo, 31, who is now playing with Lazio in Italy.

tbf, this kid does have a claim... the ex Citeh youth for me is just bandwagon jumping...

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal's Gael Clichy has claimed Joey Barton has few friends among the Premier League's French contingent.

The Newcastle midfielder spent much of pre-season behind bars at Strangeways prison in Manchester, but made a controversial return to action as a late substitute against the Gunners on Saturday.

A chorus of boos from those inside Emirates Stadium greeted his appearance on the sidelines this weekend, while he still managed to make the headlines for his fleeting on-field antics.

A strong challenge on Samir Nasri set the tone, with the France international taking retribution with a cynical trip minutes later

I bet thats killing him " the french dont like me whatever shall i do" fuck the french.

Edited by 2bias

Arsenal's Gael Clichy has claimed Joey Barton has few friends among the Premier League's French contingent.

The Newcastle midfielder spent much of pre-season behind bars at Strangeways prison in Manchester, but made a controversial return to action as a late substitute against the Gunners on Saturday.

A chorus of boos from those inside Emirates Stadium greeted his appearance on the sidelines this weekend, while he still managed to make the headlines for his fleeting on-field antics.

A strong challenge on Samir Nasri set the tone, with the France international taking retribution with a cynical trip minutes later

I bet thats killing him " the french dont like me whatever shall i do" fuck the french.

I thought racism was supposed to be "kicked out" of football?

Or is that just some "racism"? (i.e. if english players had a problem with a non-english player)