Do yourself a favour and don't buy the NotW the'morra

Ketsbaia

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/08/260m-newcastle.html

NEWCASTLE are at the centre of a massive £260million takeover battle between TWO of Asia’s richest companies.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is in talks with Anil Ambani, the sixth richest man in the world and head of Reliance Communications, India’s biggest telecoms company.

But Singapore-based global investment company Profitable Group — who include former England star Steve McMahon as a director — also want to buy Ashley out.

Anil Ambani sets his sights on Newcastle - Click here for more

The Newcastle chief admitted last month he is anxious to find investors to ease the financial burden at beleaguered St James’s Park.

But both Reliance and Profitable are ready to pay £260m to own the Magpies outright and are determined to spend more than £100m on transfers to bolster the team, managed by Kevin Keegan.

Billionaire Ashley bought Newcastle in July, 2007 for £130m and immediately pumped in another £80m to wipe out the debts.

However, he has not been able to spend anywhere near as lavishly as most of the Toon Army demanded and has made it clear he will not sanction the kind of huge signings which might help challenge for a Champions League place.

That, though, would not be a problem for Ambani, India’s second richest man.

His personal fortune stands at around £21billion, while his RCom company is valued at £22.5bn.

And Profitable Group — who have ex-Liverpool star McMahon as their commercial director in charge of strategic sports investment — have made it clear they are willing to spend big.

McMahon made a name for himself as a TV pundit in Singapore working for ESPN and he gives Profitable, who targeted Everton earlier this year, an insight into the workings of English football clubs.

As brilliant as the figures being quoted sound i'm willing to bet it's all bullshit to try and disrupt the club :icon_lol:

Edited by Ketsbaia

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling they're just trying a different angle altogether now. Rather than paint Ashley as the bad'un for trying to sell up he's going to get painted as the bad'un for not selling up.

Aye this was all over Sky News this morning as well. Mainly talking over the possibility of Anil Ambani buying the club :icon_lol:

Playing devils advocate here. what exactly has Ashley done wrong since coming giving that we're now a debt free club in Prem?

I think you should all be happy if it's taken over by a rich owner who can spend a bit. Ashley definately wants out it seems(not judging just by the above article of course).

I agree Ashley wants out and it goes in line with his previous business dealings, if he sells for 260m he'll have seen a tidy profit for what is it just over a year in control, similar to the way he made tens of millions profit in selling his adidas shares having only had them for a relatively short period of time.

He could do himself a favour though and respect the intelligence of most fans by not wearing a toon top again as he is making it blindingly obvious he's not a fan.

Guest Stevie

I'm surprised these people are choosing us to be honest. We're costing a lot more than Everton or Boro would, we have no connections to the far east, and if you look at a club like Arsenal, you can't get moved for turbans when you go to Highbury/Emirates, they could be a more cultural link and are a bigger club at present, so the question would be "why us"?

However, I will say my gut instinct is this has more credibility than other similar stories which have come before.

Edited by Stevie

I'm surprised these people are choosing us to be honest. We're costing a lot more than Everton or Boro would, we have no connections to the far east, and if you look at a club like Arsenal, you can't get moved for turbans when you go to Highbury/Emirates, they could be a more cultural link and are a bigger club at present, so the question would be "why us"?

However, I will say my gut instinct is this has more credibility than other similar stories which have come before.

Mong-tastic. Living half a mile away from the Emirates for the last few years, i don't think i've ever seen a turban round here. Turkish, Greeks, old Irish guys, local pikeys yeah, but never a turban.

But that's moving away from the main point of the thread.. A buyout to be a plaything of an individual, ala Chelsea and Abramovich doesn't really appeal.

Thing is, if Ashley was to walk away now we're in a solid state as a club, just needs some investment in players. We have a sound stadium and academy etc. Perhaps we need our turnover increasing or wages dropping (as the ratio is too high). If Abramovich was to walk away from Chelsea they'd be fucked. I dont want us in that position. That said, if we were bought out may a far east company, they would I assume market us over there a hell of a lot and that would increase the commercial income and make it possible to have a higher wage bill.

I's got the mackams flapping big style at least :blink: .

I see this as probably being the same as all the previous stories about the Bin Laden's and that American company if it's true it could be good but being the new toy of an Abramovich would be worrying as if he ever decides to pack up and leave the club would probably be completely fucked and in masses of debt.

edit/ JawD Beat me too it :icon_lol:

Edited by Barton7

Guest Stevie

Mong-tastic. Living half a mile away from the Emirates for the last few years, i don't think i've ever seen a turban round here. Turkish, Greeks, old Irish guys, local pikeys yeah, but never a turban.

But that's moving away from the main point of the thread.. A buyout to be a plaything of an individual, ala Chelsea and Abramovich doesn't really appeal.

In the ground you nobhead. At Highbury to the left of the away end, was like a scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom every time we played there. The East Stand was the same.

Newcastle is a sleeping giant with a very strong local footprint, it's more or less a monopoly with guraranteed income ratio's. My mate at Coutts values the club at £240m. We are the kind of club with the possibility to add significantly to turnover, correctly handled. The brand has a very strong possibility to grow in the far east.

Man U - Global brand

Liv - Global brand

Arsenal - Euro Brand

Chelsea - Becoming a Euro brand, but need to win the CL to take the step up.

After that the only other two clubs that are known in Euro are :

Spurs

Newcastle

In the ground you nobhead. At Highbury to the left of the away end, was like a scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom every time we played there. The East Stand was the same.

:icon_lol:

Might not be a bad thing if this Anal Ambarmy buys us.....an upgrade in billionaire, plenty of money for transfers.......Kingfisher and curry pies in Shearers Bar......and maybe with a bit of imagination we could go even further: Taj Mahal styling added to the ground, lepers begging outside, police on elephants on match day, some ritual burnings before the match to liven things up. If Oliver puts a foot wrong we send the thugees round to feed him his balls.

But the main thing is we shouldn't get carried away with cultural sterotyping :icon_lol:

Okay, how many times does Ashley have to say HE'S NOT SELLING UP!!! He's already stated he's looking for investment, why can't the media get it through their thick skulls? Investments and take-overs ARE NOT the same thing. What a bunch of half-witted, useless journo hack bollocks.

Might not be a bad thing if this Anal Ambarmy buys us.....an upgrade in billionaire, plenty of money for transfers.......Kingfisher and curry pies in Shearers Bar......and maybe with a bit of imagination we could go even further: Taj Mahal styling added to the ground, lepers begging outside, police on elephants on match day, some ritual burnings before the match to liven things up. If Oliver puts a foot wrong we send the thugees round to feed him his balls.

But the main thing is we shouldn't get carried away with cultural sterotyping :blink:

:icon_lol:

Hooking up with an Indian billionaire with the same kind of money as Roman would be a good thing for us. Think of the shirt sales on the sub-continent!!!!!

Okay, how many times does Ashley have to say HE'S NOT SELLING UP!!! He's already stated he's looking for investment, why can't the media get it through their thick skulls? Investments and take-overs ARE NOT the same thing. What a bunch of half-witted, useless journo hack bollocks.

Course he's looking at all financial avenues....It's just naive to think he isn't.