The Large Hadron Collider

Lazarus

Just like the millenium bug, another false sunset. :panic:

Anyone with an IQ over 50 knew that was a complete load of ;), at least with this one no one is entirely sure, just almost certainly sure.

There was a lot of hysteria but there was also a shit load of work done in the run up to it which actually prevented problems.

There were some systems where it could/would have caused some issues. But most of the stuff that was mentioned was pure scaremongering - we probably have got "more" to fear from this.

Ironically a lot of the stuff that was potentially genuinely vulnerable was sorted out long before the public ever got wind of the whole thing. But you're absolutely right that a lot of time and money was spent/wasted on it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freemanae8.jpg

They must be making a Carry On film of it as that's defo Melvyn Hayes on the left of the picture.

Nice Micky Mouse tie there.....doing his bit to improve the image of cutting edge scientists.

Check out the Motty coat... Jesus Christ ;)

freemanae8.jpg

Is anyone else a bit worried by the fact they had to selotape a piece of paper to it with an arrow and the instructions with how to turn it on?

As for the webcam, I'd be so tempted if I was down there to suddenly pop in front of it, waving my arms around and shouting 'Help! Help!' Just for the craic like.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, I ended up here by mistake after googling black holes & large probes :~)

Seriously though, this machine could spell disaster for the human race , is it just a coincidence that we've not come across any other intelligent lifeforms, maybe they got to a certain stage of development then switched one of these things on and .....

I've been working on an experiment for the last 3 years detecting Tachyon's (particles which travel backwards in time) when I discovered regular patterns in the noise, could'nt make any sense of it until I realsied it was in French,,,,,,,

Still working on it but first part says "Le collider de Hadron détruit des Français........"

Anyone translate ?

freemanae8.jpg

Is anyone else a bit worried by the fact they had to selotape a piece of paper to it with an arrow and the instructions with how to turn it on?

As for the webcam, I'd be so tempted if I was down there to suddenly pop in front of it, waving my arms around and shouting 'Help! Help!' Just for the craic like.

I'm more worried about what Johnny Ball is up to on the left there

Sorry folks, I ended up here by mistake after googling black holes & large probes :~)

Seriously though, this machine could spell disaster for the human race , is it just a coincidence that we've not come across any other intelligent lifeforms, maybe they got to a certain stage of development then switched one of these things on and .....

I've been working on an experiment for the last 3 years detecting Tachyon's (particles which travel backwards in time) when I discovered regular patterns in the noise, could'nt make any sense of it until I realsied it was in French,,,,,,,

Still working on it but first part says "Le collider de Hadron détruit des Français........"

Anyone translate ?

Fortunately we haven't mined all our deep sea vents yet. ;)

• 1 year later...

Its fascinating but also very worrying at the same time.

What they are trying to do exactly is a mystery and fucking scary....especially when considered that the smallest particle of antimatter could wipe a whole city from exsistence.

:lol:

freemanae8.jpg

can I draw attention to the tie the bloke with the wrench is wearing? :lol:

freemanae8.jpg

Xmas wrapping paper?

freemanae8.jpg

Xmas wrapping paper?

And bloke with arms folded.....Gotta be Leazes Mag saying......."If Shepherd was running this.........."

"Is anyone else a bit worried by the fact they had to selotape a piece of paper to it with an arrow and the instructions with how to turn it on?"

It has become a tradition in the oil business to paint "THIS WAY UP" on very large 60,000 pieces of steel put into the ocean for development platforms

It all goes back to Total welding a 3000 ton unit onto a N sea platform the wrong way round in the late 70's

It was only when they came along to connect all the wiring and pipes that anyone noticed........................................................ and it was too lat eto move it round

Its fascinating but also very worrying at the same time.

What they are trying to do exactly is a mystery and fucking scary....especially when considered that the smallest particle of antimatter could wipe a whole city from exsistence.

:lol:

ironhide_facepalm.jpg

I sleep perfectly safe in my bed knowing that theyve got the worlds best minds working on this, bloke on the left of the pic is clearly Johnny Ball, nobody can Think of a Number faster than that bloke.

2492577527_bb142013dc.jpg

• 2 years later...